YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training days per week for 40+ year old. This article made me think about it.

Ohh, simple and basic, there are not millions of exercises, sets, angles....

Do you stretch after each set or only at the end of training?

Rack chins seems to be an underrated exercise, what made you think about using it?
I like it simple, it allows me to truly focus on the work at hand and not worry about saving something for later. I used to do racks pulls up to seven plates as well, but hey, hello diastasis recti...

I stretch at the end on the body part.

I started doing rack chins because the pulldowns I always did were getting stupid with me fastening a 45 to the stack and I wasn't really feeling them. Never liked them to be honest.

I like high hammer rows too, but end up hitting my teres excessively. Gives my back good detail on the outside, but easy to damage with heavy weight.

Rack chins allow me to really drop and extend the scapula. I like that feeling from full drop to full contraction at the top.
I don't need any weight as I'm pretty trashed from the rows.

In retrospect my question is not exactly clear. It is actually more of a stream of thought lol. I guess what I am getting at is this.

First, has any advanced lifters 50+ made BETTER results by training only 3x per week as opposed to 4-5-6? This is a legit question and it dovetails into the article I linked up.

Second, and this is more of a rhetorical question (and perhaps a personal observation).... does it even matter? Once you get advanced in age and have been training for decades does programming even matter? Assuming you bust your ass in the gym does it really make a difference if you go 3x per week or 6x? My point was, I went from a standard P/P/L 6x per week workout to the Fortitude 4x per week and nothing changed for me. Keep in mind, I love Fortitude because of the unique structure etc. so that alone makes it beneficial. The fact that I look forward to going to the gym is a huge bonus. But, when it comes to physique improvements, assuming I am close to my genetic max and might actually be regressing at this point, is it even possible to make gains? Dugbet hit on it with this quote: "I think it is more than likely that he has reached his genetic limit and if he wants to make improvements he will have to think in gear and not in training systems." Granted, this is highly individual, but does anyone feel strongly about making/not making gains when you are 50+ and have decades of gym experience?
I agree with Dugbet. If you stay on TRT you will have to accept yourself being maxed out at this point. I'm not implying you should up the dose just to be clear, that is entirely up to you. But if you do want to make (new) gains, it will have to come from that part.

hi hawkmoon, do u stil log yr workout?

hi hawkmoon, do u stil log yr workout?
At the moment no.
I was using an app on my phone up until fairly recently. As I really only push one movement per BP per session I can track roughly in my head. If I was looking to push more I would log again.

Reactions: D2
Get bigger huh? Nah at 49 that's not fucking happening for me, first I'm not willing to do what it takes to put on that size at my age, it would take copious amount of food, drugs, gh, and probably some insulin sprinkled in here and there. I'm not willing to do that at 49 yrs old, instead I focus on quality, train fucking hard, but use weird angles and exercises to target certain muscles that I neglected earlier in my career. I ensure to maintain my entire physique (you don't see older guys posting many full body shots) I always ensure I have the total package, I will strip down to my underwear anytime, any day and show my entire physique, maintaining that entire physique is a job in itself, getting bigger is a fucking no-go for me, not worth the impact on health, cause it most definitely isn't just changing a training routine..LOL

This is an interesting discussion. I've really gravitated towards less total days. It's why I love the Fortitude "family plan", three day a week program. I'm basically hitting full body, three times a week in different ways with a full day to recover between. I also gravitate towards a more intense style of workout vs volume so the 3-day fortitude plan works perfectly. With the guidelines of the program using pump sets and muscle rounds my overall fatigue is also managed well.

That said...I'm not growing because I'm literally taking 5000mcg of HCG a week + 50mgs of proviron a day + 3 iu hgh a day so this stretch is solely about maintaining what I can.

After roughly 8 weeks of this I'm quite pleased and will likely go to 300mgs of test for a few months once my wife is pregnant and will keep with this training program.

I agree with Dugbet. If you stay on TRT you will have to accept yourself being maxed out at this point. I'm not implying you should up the dose just to be clear, that is entirely up to you. But if you do want to make (new) gains, it will have to come from that part.
If you just started TRT because your testosterone was low you will make gains I think pretty much at any age. Whether or not the gains are satisfactory to you is another issue.

Once on TRT and stay at the said dosage then you’re pretty much going to look like you’re going to look assuming no other changes have occurred, like losing weight to get leaner, etc.

If you are on TRT and you keep bumping up the dosages like I did you will continue to make gains but once you start lowering your dosage you’ll keep some of the gains but not all the gains But eventually the games will stop at whatever dosage you arrive at.

That’s my opinion based upon my experience.

If some one has been training for 20 years or even less and think they are going to be making any big gains then i have to assume they weren't doing some thing right. In my first decade i had tried high intensity, low volume, high volume, high reps, low reps, once a week multiple times a week and made progress on all of them. But over the next 20-30 years the progress was slow to nonexistent some years as i reapplied different things i had learned in different combinations continuing to try to make gains. Once any natural gains stopped after many years i went for the un-natural ones. Diet is important. My first day ever in a gym and i had all my food ready to go in containers for the week. As better knowledge came along i changed my diet to take advantage of that. Read, learn apply. I find it works for most every area of life.

If you just started TRT because your testosterone was low you will make gains I think pretty much at any age. Whether or not the gains are satisfactory to you is another issue.

Once on TRT and stay at the said dosage then you’re pretty much going to look like you’re going to look assuming no other changes have occurred, like losing weight to get leaner, etc.

If you are on TRT and you keep bumping up the dosages like I did you will continue to make gains but once you start lowering your dosage you’ll keep some of the gains but not all the gains But eventually the games will stop at whatever dosage you arrive at.

That’s my opinion based upon my experience.
I fully agree Ron!

Get bigger huh? Nah at 49 that's not fucking happening for me, first I'm not willing to do what it takes to put on that size at my age, it would take copious amount of food, drugs, gh, and probably some insulin sprinkled in here and there. I'm not willing to do that at 49 yrs old, instead I focus on quality, train fucking hard, but use weird angles and exercises to target certain muscles that I neglected earlier in my career. I ensure to maintain my entire physique (you don't see older guys posting many full body shots) I always ensure I have the total package, I will strip down to my underwear anytime, any day and show my entire physique, maintaining that entire physique is a job in itself, getting bigger is a fucking no-go for me, not worth the impact on health, cause it most definitely isn't just changing a training routine..LOL
Exactly Brad 👍

correct me if i'm wrong... i rmbr emeric mentioned to train a muscle(esp legs) more frequently to prevent muscle fm deterioration?
When you get over 60 you should incorporate some leg exercises to your every day workouts, you can do some leg exercises every day , 7 days.

Over 50 also, but more important when you get older.
Emeric, do you think 50+ year olds somehow recover better than a younger person? I rarely hear of any younger people training legs 7x per week, so what is the mindset of doing it when you are older, but not when you are younger? Curious to hear your stance on it. Thanks.

Emeric, do you think 50+ year olds somehow recover better than a younger person? I rarely hear of any younger people training legs 7x per week, so what is the mindset of doing it when you are older, but not when you are younger? Curious to hear your stance on it. Thanks.
I’m 36 and I that wreak havoc on my knees and hips

I could be wrong, but I believe he is referring to doing lighter stuff like body squats, just to keep the muscles pumped, engaged and this will help not losing leg muscle with age. I doubt he means all out leg days everyday. I know in the past he's talked about doing body squats daily.

I could be wrong, but I believe he is referring to doing lighter stuff like body squats, just to keep the muscles pumped, engaged and this will help not losing leg muscle with age. I doubt he means all out leg days everyday. I know in the past he's talked about doing body squats daily.
and low volume, just a set or two maybe.

I’ve been doing Phil Hernons full body workout . Training each body part daily and love it , it’s a lot harder then most think
Been doing full body routines more often... Seems I don't have to go as heavy, I just rep out and tax my muscles to get the results I'm looking for at almost 40 .

Although I get looked at funny cause everyday I'm working out everything :LOL: . That's ok with me I've done so many routines I kind of do what I want at this point in life.. UNLESS I have a specific goal ahead (Mma or grappling fight, or physique comp.)

BIOGENIX

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity