advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training days per week for 40+ year old. This article made me think about it.

There’s a reason there’s no super low frequency bodybuilder examples. Because tou can’t achieve that level of muscularity with such low frequency. I think 3 days a week like a dc split is the lowest frequncy you can get and still make serious gains. Obviously you can make gains on a 1 or 2 day a week split, but you’ll never build a huge amount of muscle that way. Also, look at Ben pollack. Absolutely the strongest pro bodybuilder ever, and he looked damn good earning that card. Only pro bodybuilder with an all time world record powerlifting total

I think you're right, to be honest. But also I wonder just how many people could end up making more gains and being injured less if they dropped down to 3x/wk rather than 4-7x. I am not so convinced it is age as it is lifestyle. If you were 44 but able to eat/nap/train and had low stress outside the gym, sure a 5 day split is going to work fine. But you add a 45-50 hour workweek, other obligations, and god forbid kids/nagging wife stressing you out and your capacity to recover get wrecked to where a man just might better off on a DC 3 days/wk split rather than a 5 day bro split.

were you pushing sets to failure on your 2 a days? how many days per week? what did your typical volume look like each day? i am always interested to read about those who work outside the status quo. and even more so if they make gains.
I rarely take any set to failure these days. I shoot for 8-12 reps, depending on the exercise. I did this routine 2x a day Monday through Friday, then lifted just once on Saturday then Sunday off. I will be 43 in a couple of months, feel pretty good.

Attachments

• 2021-09-08-19-23-57-060.jpg
    2021-09-08-19-23-57-060.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 74
I think you're right, to be honest. But also I wonder just how many people could end up making more gains and being injured less if they dropped down to 3x/wk rather than 4-7x. I am not so convinced it is age as it is lifestyle. If you were 44 but able to eat/nap/train and had low stress outside the gym, sure a 5 day split is going to work fine. But you add a 45-50 hour workweek, other obligations, and god forbid kids/nagging wife stressing you out and your capacity to recover get wrecked to where a man just might better off on a DC 3 days/wk split rather than a 5 day bro split.

I never liked 3x a week splits because if you do a decent amount of volume (and im not even high volume), the workouts are long and the sets at the end its hard to be intense. Say you do 60 sets a week, that would be 20 per workout for 3x a week. But 12 good intense sets per workout if you go 5 times per week.

At 42, I’m training M-F one body part per week.
Chest
Legs
Back
Arms
Shoulders/Traps

abs 3x a week. And yea I need to up my cardio.

I usually do 10-12 reps and around 16-18 sets per body part. It’s worked. But I really think to do a little mini bulk this winter I need to change shit up. Sitting 205 at 5’10. I want to add 10-15lbs and with my genes I know I can do it.

I would just like some changes to my training. I need to search.

you can apply that to literally everyone and everything. good stuff. i try and remind myself to not look back but look forward
I agree that we should not lament the past, hindsight being 20/20 and all, but I do think there is value in trying to recognize the valuable info/advice we are receiving NOW so we don't find ourselves 20 years from now saying the same thing all over again.

I made gains in my 40s, especially in my back, up until my 50s. I'm 52 this November.
My legs have told me to bugger off, but that's OK, I hate buying new pants every other month.

I train 3x a week, A/B split, incorporating some DC principles, with an occasional phase of lighter weight and more pumping in rotation.
3x a week is enough. Am I still gaining significantly? No, I don't think so really, but I am "improving".
I like 3x a week for frequency, recovery, and the maintenance of a normal life.

This is at 48 when I decided to compete again

View attachment 138561:
Do you program your training "cruises" or just go by feel?

Lookin sick 👍

Do you program your training "cruises" or just go by feel?

Lookin sick 👍
Pretty much go by feel.
When I start to feel tired and stiffer, I know my recovery is slipping and I back off a bit.
This will be a minor pull back however, 10-20% reduction in weights on the bigger compound moves.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131