over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Delts

so is the consensus that upright rows will damage the shoulder?

or wider grips are ok?

id love to start doing these but im scared im going to damage my shoulder. thats the last thing i need right now.

Wendler does them, and his traps are pretty big. Some people can do them with no pain.

i pull them to just over my solarplexus unless they're too heavy like i said, then just under.

my hand placement is probably wrong. i grab the canbered bar wherever it is comfortable. about 8 inches apart.

they seem to work the shit out of my side delts.

if i'm doing them wrong id rather find out sooner than later.

also, they don't hurt or impinge. they feel fine.

I think people foucs to much in front, midel and forget the rear delts....It just give you diffrent looks along with thickness.....

Probably my favorite Delt exercise is "up the rack" lateral raises. My training partner hates me for this but I get good results from them. For those who dont know about these and wanna give them a shot below is an example:

1 set is comprised of the following with no rest other than the time it takes to switch dumbells.

20 reps @ 5lb dumbells
15 reps @ 10lb dumbells
12 reps @ 15lb dumbells
8 reps @ 20lb dumbells

rest 1-2 mins and repeat for 3 sets total, or 4 if your feeling crazy. :D

Now the weight listed above is just theoretical, but the key is that you want to go up in weight and down in reps. So, if you try the weight above and get to the 8 reps @ 20lb dumbells and are not reaching a failure point at the eighth rep, then increase weight. And remember this is only one set, do NOT rest in between these 4 different waves.

I encourage you to try these if you have never done them before, it will create some serious DOMS.

Enjoy!!!

Thats funny, my routine is just like that.. Lateral raises: 3 Warm up sets (extremely light weight) and 3 heavy sets... Twice a week.

Probably my favorite Delt exercise is "up the rack" lateral raises. My training partner hates me for this but I get good results from them. For those who dont know about these and wanna give them a shot below is an example:

1 set is comprised of the following with no rest other than the time it takes to switch dumbells.

20 reps @ 5lb dumbells
15 reps @ 10lb dumbells
12 reps @ 15lb dumbells
8 reps @ 20lb dumbells

rest 1-2 mins and repeat for 3 sets total, or 4 if your feeling crazy. :D

Now the weight listed above is just theoretical, but the key is that you want to go up in weight and down in reps. So, if you try the weight above and get to the 8 reps @ 20lb dumbells and are not reaching a failure point at the eighth rep, then increase weight. And remember this is only one set, do NOT rest in between these 4 different waves.

I encourage you to try these if you have never done them before, it will create some serious DOMS.

Enjoy!!!
I do the exact opposite pausing just below shoulder level:

15 reps @ 20lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 15lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 12lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 10lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 8lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 5lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)
15 reps @ 3lb dumbells (with a full pause at the top)

2 sets and I'm DONE!!!! Then I move to rear delts.

Total time: Usually under 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Phil isn't trying to be an ass. He just knows what he's talking about and is very straightforward. The older you get, the more you appreciate people like him.

For me, Shoulder Width Grip Upright Rows only. You can inch your weights upward to almost always be making some sort of progress. Your gym may only have 2 1/2 pound plates but YOU can buy lighter than that and keep them in your gym bag.

You will be surprised by the middle delt pump you get if you focus on control and form with this exercise. I'm talking painful pumps after the first set if done correctly. When I'm done with this exercise, I have to raise my arms above my shoulders and rest them on something for about 5 minutes just to get the painful pump to subside. Try it.

you know for some reason
upright rows actually hurt my
shoulder joints something fierce

just never got into them

seems my forearms get so pumped
(way before my delts or traps) that
i cant do anymore

Try this. Do several warm ups of high reps with just the bar (45lbs US). Then use wrist straps as you increase the weights to take grip/forearms out of it and focus just on side delts. My job requires a lot of hand/wrist movement and I have to be careful with working my forearms too much. Straps solved that problems for me. Just a suggestion.

My routine is pretty similar to some of the ones posted here. I usually prefer to hit shoulders with high volume, especially for side raises.

3-4 sets of presses (db or smith machine)
4-5 different exercises 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps, usually supersets.

One heavy pressing movement such as one arm db presses or hammer strength shoulder press. I will do alot of warm up sets to begin with (4 or so). One working set. Then a few sets of high rep lateral raises and/or rear delt work. Thats me done... about 20 mins.

Stopped doing pressing all together about 6 months ago due to back issues. Since then I have focused on side laterals and rear laterals. I have gotten random compliments on my increases in size with people pointing out my shoulders in particular. Not sure if I will get back to presses, not sure I need them anymore.

There is something to say for seeing some heavy ass pressing though, just looks like fun but you can only do what you can do.

I do side laterals the way Phil taught me (45 degree lean). You can use the big boy DBs for these and should never get hurt.

I read every post in this thread and didn't see behind-the-neck Military press mentioned. I know it's considered a hard movement on the rotator cuffs but when done properly, would it not place a good solid direct hit on side-delts along with some benefit to the back and front?

i rediscovered these about 3 weeks ago and I'm really feeling that good muscle soreness again.

Do you guys just think it's a bad movement?

I read every post in this thread and didn't see behind-the-neck Military press mentioned. I know it's considered a hard movement on the rotator cuffs but when done properly, would it not place a good solid direct hit on side-delts along with some benefit to the back and front?

i rediscovered these about 3 weeks ago and I'm really feeling that good muscle soreness again.

my press movements INCLUDE behind the neck on some days

I rarely do shoulder pressing of any kind. Maybe once a month. I like doing uprights on a smith with my hands at shoulder width or a bit wider. I only raise the bar until my humerus is is at a 90* angle from my torso and go back down. Its a very controlled movement and I get no pain and a huge pump. I also do side laterals but I let the forearm hang down, this helped with elbow pain and I can use heavier weights and get a betterpump. I do all kinds of vaiations for rears. Each workout is only 3 working sets. One for each exercise.

I like "Wide" grip UpRight Rows. Tkae about shoulderwidth, nver close grip it and i nver raise the bar any higher than the nips.

Laterial Raise are great aswell, love drop sets with them. never droped down the rack or ran up it, sounds like fun thou.
Tried using one of those old "Iron Cross" Laterial Raise machines, like the idea of it but my arms ar long for it.

Last edited:
+1 for using straps on the upright rows...also I put presses towards the rear of my shoulder training...I like using dumbells and the gym I go to only has 100 lb dumbells....I can still bang out 4 sets of 12-15 with them.....I love bent over raises for rear delts...pump is like no other...rear's are a weak spot for many competitors..I know it used to be for me...and it goes a long way for your physique in the quarter turns and rear poses...

Heck yea

If you do behind the back shoulder press then you are asking for a pec tear somewhere along the line during the bench press.

If you do behind the back shoulder press then you are asking for a pec tear somewhere along the line during the bench press.

Phil........how about lighter weight
really squeezing at the top and controlling
the neg portion?????

:)

I compete in PL/SM so I structure my days a bit different, I have one bench day and one OHP day, typical OHP day looks like:

Log or Axle C&P- to max single or max reps at a given weight.

Standing Military- 5x5 or 5x10

Front/Side Laterals- 3x8/12 (dropsets)

Face Pulls- 50-100 total reps

I like to mix it up, I do preexhaust such as:
dumbell laterals 45x12
without rest I sit down on bench and do
Dumbell Presses 90x 8-10

Then when Im really full of energy I might do strip sets

55lbs 8 reps without resting move right down the rack once maybe twice
45lbs 3 reps
40 x3
35x3