over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training for Beginners by Elvia

Thanks everyone :)

Right now I am using are more standardized training split. I still train many body parts twice weekly but using higher volume and less frequency. So I have your standard back and bi-ceps, chest and tri-ceps, legs etc days. I still rotate things around. But mainly going for heavy and progressive lifting over the next few months with occasional ligher workouts to give my joints a rest.

Great info. Guys like you taking the time and effort to write these articles are what make the community what it is!!!

Thanks Elvia. I have been training since the mid 80's and always reading everything I can on training. It is always good to mix it up and keep those muscles confused.

That was a great read elvia, thanks for posting.

This is an excellent read - lot of ground covered in a short space

Rep for mygearguru

Visit mygearguru.com for discounts on all your aas and hgh needs!

Sometimes when reading old posts you get embarassed as thoughts/opinions change over time but I still pretty much stand by most of what I wrote here. Reading it again I did mention higher reps a lot and for good reason. Although I do recommend pushing it in the 5-8 reps range at time. The one thing I didn't really go over is exercise execution and I think that is the most important factor. It is true even guys with bad form will grow if they are lifting heavy and eating but there is a much smarter way of doing things. I really try to master execution these days even if it means lowering the weight by half. Although some days you just want to train Branch Warren style and that is fine too :D

Someone asked my opinion on bro splits and training frequency. I figured I would post my reply here just incase anyone is wondering what split they should follow.

"Some of the greatest bb's of all time followed a "bro split" and many still do to this day. There is nothing wrong with it and I have trained many years in the traditional way of 1 main body part per day once weekly. Many like to overcomplicate training but of course you want to optimize all areas, so I recommend to everyone to experiment with different training systems. That doesn't mean jump from one system to another every 3 weeks but over the years rotate volume and frequency whilst keeping the basics in place at all times. Some feel once weekly training is enough for them but others really like to crank up the frequency. I will state I generally feel a high frequency lower volume approach is optimal for most people but it's not written in stone.

Without a doubt the most important factors regarding training are intensity/effort and form. Training frequency and volume are a well behind second place. If you're lifting with bad form and not hitting the targeted muscle effectively then training 2 or even 3 times weekly is not going to get you better results. Now if you have everything in place (effort, form, diet etc) then you can start playing about with frequency and volume to increase results.

There are no wrong answers to any of this. Sure it's common sense if you can train x muscle effectively and recover 104 times per year that is going to be better than 52 times per year. Although sometimes things aren't as clean cut as that. Over the years I have also learnt each muscle responds differently to oneanother. Some muscles can take more volume/abuse than others. Everyone is built differently and many also have to be careful with certain body parts and work around those issues (mine is my lower back). Obviously the basics all work and different rep ranges also work for every muscle. Nevertheless, I still get better results with different methods for certain muscles.

I don't know your level and how long you have been training etc etc. What I can state if you have everything in place I would experiment with more frequency. If you want to grow something such as P/P/L or Upper/Lower could be good for you and as they are 2-3 day splits you can up the frequency using those routines. Sometimes more specialized routines work best meaning the volume and frequency is different for every muscle group according to your strengths and weaknesses. There are 1001 variables and I would need to know details before best advising. An example is sometimes people need to actually lower volume to improve results. Others may have a weak bodypart and for that I would always concentrate on form first (amongst other things). Now for someone who simply wants to grow and has everything in place I recommend a simple split and training most body parts as frequency as possible."

Someone just asked about my leg training and I will post it here as well because I think others may benefit from this info especially if your are tall like me and struggled with leg training for years.

"Sorry about the late reply. Instead of just listing a few exercises I will go into more detail because it may help some people who are struggling because I did for many years. I got super strong in most main leg movements and I still had crap legs. The same for me bench pressing 4pps and still having a crap chest. If someone has good genetics then sure any basic movement and moving the weight from point a to b and getting stronger over time will produce incredible results. Moreover, many people also naturally have a better muscle muscle connection and it makes a big difference. However for many they really have to perfect the finer details if they want to make a weaker body part a stronger one. Although the majority of people are simply not training hard enough over time nor being consistent with their nutrition.

Execution is everything then comes intensity. Getting stronger 100% comes into play as well and everyone should be striving to get stronger in each movement over time. If you can squat 100kg for 15 reps and over the years you get to 300kg for 15 reps you will obviously have much bigger/better legs. Although I think many in the gym get too lost in getting stronger all the time and it often goes against them in the long run. I still push heavy weight but I try to make that weight as hard as possible and I try to make the targeted muscle the main driver of that weight and not like most and just trying to move weight without any real connection.

Most importantly you need to stretch and you need to be flexible so you can work in a larger ROM on certain movements. Nothing has improved my legs more than deep leg presses with heavy weight for high reps. Basically anything over 10 reps and you are gtg. Although work in some 20-40 rep sets even if it means you need to pause (under tension) a few times to get to your targeted reps. Going as low as possible in a safe manner and the more flexible you are the easier that becomes. Guys who have tight hips/glutes are going to struggle to get a full ROM on leg presses so they have to work on that if it's an issue.

The rest is just basic and hitting a few select movements and increasing intensity/weight over time. For hams I mainly concentrate on seated leg curls, stiff leg deadlifts (barbell or db's) and leg press. For quads it's all about leg press, split squats, hack squats and leg extensions. I would also try to get stronger in hip adductors and always include them. For calves you need 1 straight leg and 1 bent leg movement to effectively work the gastroc and soleus so standing and seated calf raises are perfect. Then it's just all about good form and torture with poundages used being a distant 3rd. I would also include some tibialis raises from time to time as well and for those you want to get as strong as possible in the higher rep ranges.

It's all just about execution and intensity. I personally would recommend periods of getting stronger and your standard sets (perhaps one loading and 1 drop off) for most movements. Then throw in periods of moderate weird and lot's of intensity techniques such as drop, super and giant sets. Other times you may want to do a hybrid of both which I am currently doing."

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear