over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training For Strength vs Training For Size

Strength and size don't necessarily go hand and hand. Think of the Olympic weightlifters and world class powerlifters who compete in lower weight classes and move ridiculous amounts of weight in relation to their bodyweight

Take a look around. The strongest guys are often the biggest. Not always, but most of the time.

"I knew guys who could pull 600 but really didnt look like they even workout" (paraphrase) . . . . . . I'm sure if this guy checked out those guys' hammies, glutes, hips, low back (no homo), he'd notice some muscle. Maybe these guys didn't spend much time on upper body isolation exercises and were terrible pressers (like many good deadlifters), resulting in an even worse upper body.

I always thought that if you get stronger size will come... Check out this You Tube clip. Id like to see what some of the most experienced lifters have to say on this subject.

YouTube - Training For Strength vs Training For Size

I haven`t even watched the video yet but I`m impressed at the shortened URL. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Those are going to be all over twitter.

edit: watched the link, nothing new. I don't think anybody expects to gain size by doing exclusively doubles and triples.

Last edited:
Besides one can easily deadlift 500 with very little muscle development depending on leverage and natural lying ability. Read old article with 848 on deadlifter David shaw. Said he deadlifted 5500 easily first time ever trying

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

In essence both 'the need to go heavier to grow' and the opposite camp are saying the same thing, one just puts the focus on it while the other does not. The end result in both cases is bigger = stronger, whether they actually want to manifest that by putting more weight on the bar or not.

6 or more reps

i think its mostly genetics. I say this because i have a low natural test around 240 serum level to date. Point is after years i found my body likes heavy weight and low reps for max muscle growth. I have tried the 8-15 reps and always lose alot of size and overall "good" look to my build dissipates.

But after reading articles for the past year on the best ways to shock the muscles I have seen posts like this and love them. This was a very cool video not long but helpful. Thanks for sharing brah

Well, if you you see the guys in the gym who are lifting the same weight they were 2-3, or even 4-6 months ago, I can almost guarantee that they are the exact same size they were at that time period. Until I started DC style training, I was one of those guys. The principle of progressive weight/rep increase works, simple as that. The majority of the "old timers", and I say that will all respect, will agree that food is the biggest factor in "growing" along with lifting heavier weights

I like to do a variety of reps in my work out. I'll typically have at least 1 or 2 sets where i go below 5 reps and to total failure.

I have to say that as i've become stronger, I've become bigger. However, I don't think anyone would benefit in terms of size by constantly doing sets of 1-2 reps over and over again.

Size and strenght arer related. That is why their is weight classes in powerlifting and oly lifting. You can focus on one or the other and some guys are naturaly strong and not very big. Just like some guys have large muscles and are not as strong as they look. Examples

Gene Rychlak: bench 1005 at a bodyweight of 345lbs
Scott Mendekson: 715 RAW 1019 with a suite. 275llbs
Ryan kenelly: 1074 at 350lbs

Ha I would like to see someone under 200lbs reach any of those number.

I watched a couple other of Coach Abel's videos. One on the powerlifting bench press and one on the bodybuilder bench press. I have issue with the bodybuilder style bench press...don't like the form on it. No base, hmmm. Seems like a good way to injury the lower back.

"I knew guys who could pull 600 but really didnt look like they even workout" (paraphrase) . . . . . . I'm sure if this guy checked out those guys' hammies, glutes, hips, low back (no homo), he'd notice some muscle. Maybe these guys didn't spend much time on upper body isolation exercises and were terrible pressers (like many good deadlifters), resulting in an even worse upper body.

For instance there is a friend of mine named TJ Horner who competed in the 148's. He looked like he didn't know what a gym was used for. However he had a competition 814.5 lb squat.

For instance there is a friend of mine named TJ Horner who competed in the 148's. He looked like he didn't know what a gym was used for. However he had a competition 814.5 lb squat.

This guy?
**broken link removed**

He doesn't look like he works out at all? He'd have the same amount of muscle had he never had started to lift weights?

When people say "strength doesn't build muscle", they often cite lifting for heavy singles or doubles, and often use numbers obtained in suits. If a man's 225x5 squat becomes 365x10 (using the same form for both lifts), the muscles used to perform that lift (whether it be mostly hips and glutes or quads and hammies, etc) will get much bigger. When that squat becomes 495x15, again there'll be more muscle.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear