over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training hamstrings

The timing of this thread is impeccable. I've been doing stiff leg dls for years, and its the only ham exercise I actually feel works for me. Last Thursday, did my normal quad workout (squats, leg presses, leg extensions) and went to the stiffys (as I call em). Did two warm up sets. On the third set, with a little more weight, but no more than I usually do (~195lbs). On my sixth rep, on the way down, it felt like someone came up behind me and kicked me in the ham with a steel toed boot. I dropped the weight and swung around ready to fight ..... no one was there. Immediately it hit me what happened, torn hammy. Its been 4 days of limping and the bruising has made it to the surface. I'd put up a pic, but my gf has the camera and is on vacation.

You know what though. In a few weeks/months when it heals, I'll be back doing stiffys.

just be careful, ive pulled my right hamstring 5 times and it still isn't near the size of my left nor is it as strong, ur lower back will probably start to hurt soon as it takes up the slack for the hammy

MR. MAGOO!

just be careful, ive pulled my right hamstring 5 times and it still isn't near the size of my left nor is it as strong, ur lower back will probably start to hurt soon as it takes up the slack for the hammy

EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME....PULLED MINE ONCE DOING SPRINTS UPHILL AND THEN LIKE YOU SAID....MY BACK ON MY LOWER LEFT SIDE STARTED HURTING ONCE I BEGAN TRAINING AGAIN.

i do these regularly becuase i want to bring up my hams ...but i notice if i go too low my back starts to round ...how low should i go ...about 6" below my knees ...and when i came back up how high should i come without taking the stress off my hams ...like 6-8" above my knees?

Here is my favorite ham builder......Stiff leg deadlifts.Some people call them straight leg dead lifts, but NEVER have your knees straight. 1. Knees slightly bent but locked, ass out, back arched (NOT ROUNDED), DO NOT USE A BLOCK FOR EVEVATION....if you do your back is not arched enough. Shoulders back, feel shoulder width apart. I feel the hip flexion builds more ham than knee flexion (leg curl).
Try 1 set of these before a set of leg curls and see what happens.

I think where some get confused is the arch is actually an inverted arch. Otherwise people still seem to round their back. This is a great exercise for certain. I like good mornings as well with the same approach.

i do these regularly becuase i want to bring up my hams ...but i notice if i go too low my back starts to round ...how low should i go ...about 6" below my knees ...and when i came back up how high should i come without taking the stress off my hams ...like 6-8" above my knees?
I only go as low as I can with a flat back. For me that is an inch below my knees. That is the extent of my hamstrings range of motion. To go lower would mean I have to round my back and that's not the way to do it

You might still be able to go deeper. Try keeping that head up and inverted arch as you lower the bar. Then pull back up uo the head and chest...rotated scapula at the top to work the back a bit more in the upper region.

I hear what you're saying about getting some upper back extension into it.

I have pulled both of my hammies over the years pretty bad, now I'm getting older & smarter and really taking the time and get a little more flexability in them. If I could lengthen them I could go deeper.

I always do a lot of hamstring stretching. I use a towel while lying on my back and pull one leg at a time up while keeping it straight. You'll feel it from you calve to your low back. I still spend time on the track though. I know a lot of ya don't. I want to be ready for a combine if I decide to walk on... haha

I never do anything with knees or elbows locked... ever! And whatever happened to my low back hyperextension machine? Every gym had one. It was great!

---don't---

lock out your knees (...ever!)
use too much weight
allow momentum to take control of the weight <--- see this one all the time

I think everyone I ever knew that blew a ham did one of the above.

p.s. Amazon doll you have to change that avatar... I'm becoming OBSESSED WITH IT!!! Or send me larger one to use as my wallpaper

I always do a lot of hamstring stretching. I use a towel while lying on my back and pull one leg at a time up while keeping it straight. You'll feel it from you calve to your low back. I still spend time on the track though. I know a lot of ya don't. I want to be ready for a combine if I decide to walk on... haha

I never do anything with knees or elbows locked... ever! And whatever happened to my low back hyperextension machine? Every gym had one. It was great!

---don't---

lock out your knees (...ever!)
use too much weight
allow momentum to take control of the weight <--- see this one all the time

I think everyone I ever knew that blew a ham did one of the above.

p.s. Amazon doll you have to change that avatar... I'm becoming OBSESSED WITH IT!!! Or send me larger one to use as my wallpaper
I actually have a hyper-extension bench in my gym. But you have to come here to use it. One of the best little benches in here. I do not understand the mentality of these new gyms anymore. No weights, limited benches but if tyou want to do cardio...................well!!!! Candy assed gyms is what I call them. God forbid anyone should get sore from a weight session!!!

I actually have a hyper-extension bench in my gym. But you have to come here to use it. One of the best little benches in here. I do not understand the mentality of these new gyms anymore. No weights, limited benches but if tyou want to do cardio...................well!!!! Candy assed gyms is what I call them. God forbid anyone should get sore from a weight session!!!
I went to a friend's gym the other day and they didn't have a rack to do dips... I shit you not.

which btw is IMHO, one of the best exercises ever

I prefer using lighter weights for SLDL's actually. Maybe im doing something wrong, but doing 315 and less, targets the hams spot on. The feeling is exactly where it should be. Going higher though, i stop feeling the hams at all, and everything just transfers to the lower back. It's still a great lower back exercise though :).

One thing i have found that really helps target the hammies when doing SLDL is wearing my wifes 6 inch pumps. That stretches the crap out of them.

One thing i have found that really helps target the hammies when doing SLDL is wearing my wifes 6 inch pumps. That stretches the crap out of them.

god i hope hes kidding

What about Glute/Ham Raise or Reverse Hypers. Those kill hams and improve function and core stregth.

How about 3 supersets of this

stiff leg deadlift
glute ham raise or reverse Hyper extension
then leg curls

that would be killer

What about Glute/Ham Raise or Reverse Hypers. Those kill hams and improve function and core stregth.

How about 3 supersets of this

stiff leg deadlift
glute ham raise or reverse Hyper extension
then leg curls

that would be killer

precontest i do glute/ham raises superset stiff legs superset walking lunges

precontest i do glute/ham raises superset stiff legs superset walking lunges

thats sound preety tough. Sled pulls are a unique way to improve ham stregth and athletic performance if one is looking for that sort of thing.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear