over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training partner or go solo

If I need a spot I ask for one nicely from someone who looks like they know what they're doing. Training partners can double the time you are in the gym and you have to be aware of what they're training tolerances are like. Your training partner may be ready to go right after your set is finished or vice verse, want to put weight on or off, etc. Throw wives, kids, jobs, traffic, and a potentially packed gym where you are both waiting around for equipment and you can start to see fast that it may not work.

This. Also I don't see how having someone yelling or encouraging me is going to make me lift more or push past failure. Minimize distractions is the best way to train.

This. Also I don't see how having someone yelling or encouraging me is going to make me lift more or push past failure. Minimize distractions is the best way to train.

You've obviously never been to that next level training with someone. It does exist!

To the OP, if you train with someone make sure they're on the same page with you. I have a friend and we train at the same time. Some things we train together and others we don't. We can always count on one another for a spot even if we're not training that body part together. We definitely push each other. You also don't have to worry about getting stuck trying another rep or more. That alone will help push your training farther than you normally go.

I prefer to train alone, mostly because I have a very specific way I train and partially because it's hard to find people at my same level of strength - I don't want to unrack / rerack weights every set. If I ever need a spot on bench press I usually get 2 kids and put one on each side of the Smith.

There is a tangible benefit when you have someone encouraging you and pushing you to go harder, but I think this falls off the more advanced you get - Jordan Peters is a great example. I think I've pretty much mastered turning that intensity level on for sets so I don't really get anything from a training partner.

You've obviously never been to that next level training with someone. It does exist!

To the OP, if you train with someone make sure they're on the same page with you. I have a friend and we train at the same time. Some things we train together and others we don't. We can always count on one another for a spot even if we're not training that body part together. We definitely push each other. You also don't have to worry about getting stuck trying another rep or more. That alone will help push your training farther than you normally go.

I do miss the Powerlifting crew days. 2-3, sometimes 4 guys just coming in on max effort days and getting RETARDED. Metallica, pantera….you better not miss that 3RM box squat….you got 2 other bloated trenned out guys screaming at you.

Good days.

Made some of my best gains with a good training partner. The good ones are all business and no talkie talk.

Just my opinion, I think pushing your limits during a set is more about focus. Someone yelling may work for people that aren't motivated though. It would depend if someone needs motivation which most people who train hard already don't.

Iron sharpens iron and men sharpen men. If you don't get that then you've lost the battle.

No partner for me. I like to move fast and I hate having to wait on someone

Overall I prefer to train solo.. im in my zone work @ my own pace.. no interuptions etc.. BUT if I know some people who are as strong as me or stronger then I deff dont mind working with them. Most of the time the partner isnt on the same level so it gets annoying racking and un racking 45lbs back and forth LOL

A great training partner is awesome but most of the time i prefer to train alone

Used to train with a padna of mine. I hated it though. I want to start when I’m ready and not have to wait for the other persons schedule to match mine. I enjoy the alone time when I’m working out solo. That’s the main reason why I started building my home gym several years back. Yeah, there some exercises you can’t push to failure without a partner, but then again I’m not competing either. Recently I’ve added equipment to my home gym that does allow me to go to failure on several exercises! Thank goodness for them smart engineering folks out there!

Cage

I always train solo except for once in a blue moon when I am in the same location as a fellow bodybuilding friend who is on a similar level. Then it's a fun experience to get in a workout and catch up. I have trained with a handful of people from this forum. Always a nice change of pace.

A regular training partner for me would just be a logistical nuisance. I like to be instinctive.

Made my best gains ever with a training partner. Helps with forced reps,
pushing you, motivation, accountability, and getting things set-up so you
can move at a brisk pace.

My opinion . . . just make sure your goals are the same and it helps if
you training style is similar and or are the same also.

I always train solo except for once in a blue moon when I am in the same location as a fellow bodybuilding friend who is on a similar level. Then it's a fun experience to get in a workout and catch up. I have trained with a handful of people from this forum. Always a nice change of pace.

A regular training partner for me would just be a logistical nuisance. I like to be instinctive.
As we get older with more responsibilities it is inevidible. I have one good one that we hit it up for a month or so and things go sideways. Trying to find a second. It's tough because I still go hard and I don't want to chat.. after is fine but having a good training partner at my stage of this shit show is an opportunity to slap muscle memory in the head and wake it the fuck up. Best one I've had in the last few years is a fitness competitor chick. She is strong stock very good aesthetics Italian. Pretty sure she's a distant couisin. Go figure.

Single, always. unless you can find someone with the same drive and motivation as you, most partners either aren't as serious, move too slow or wanna socialize too much. there's a reason I train at 430 and 500 in the morning, I've got shit to do the rest of the day. having a slow training partner is a lot like sex. you better get yours, I already got mine! bust a fuckin nut, already! yapping about your new fuckin pre-workout that apparently just makes you talk faster, not work better

I train alone because My schedule changes around my work appointment schedule, as does the location of Crunch I train in(closest to My appointment). Usually late morning or afternoon but 1 day a week a 7am or later like 6pm, schedule depending.

As we get older with more responsibilities it is inevidible. I have one good one that we hit it up for a month or so and things go sideways. Trying to find a second. It's tough because I still go hard and I don't want to chat.. after is fine but having a good training partner at my stage of this shit show is an opportunity to slap muscle memory in the head and wake it the fuck up. Best one I've had in the last few years is a fitness competitor chick. She is strong stock very good aesthetics Italian. Pretty sure she's a distant couisin. Go figure.
Yea it is definitely easy to get distracted just chatting with a training partner. On the other hand, studies have shown longer rest between sets is better for hypertrophy so there is a silver lining there.

I train with 2 dudes and one chic. Not always on the same days and even when together in the gym it's not much conversation. If we happen to hit same machines/same bodypart great. If not, no worries. We make a mess of the place so we half to whip through and rack all the weights and pickup the dumbbells off the floor, chains, belts, whatever, I like to leave the gym ready for use in my OCD style. I (actually we all do) like to go right from movement to movement and worry about pickup after so no break in intensity. Also pack a shit ton of clean eats for a cafeteria chow fest because slin is usually kicking in pretty good at that point and we're hungry AF.

We don't yell, "Cmon, you got 2 more in you! It's all you!" at each other. We would just end up laughing at ourselves. I always thought that stuff was kind of silly. We do push each other though. Something about having a spot, you just want to go harder heavier.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws