over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training split

Has anyone had any success increasing there pressing days to 3x a week or even going 2 on 1 off. always starting the rotation with a pressing day

Obviously working in a % of 1 rep max for bench
No I have not. It’s best to do a 3 on 1 off or a 3 on 2 off if you want to use that method.

Google “Andy Baker old man Texas method”

Thanks for sharing bro

Not sure my back would handle that much squatting, deadlifting but i like the idea of the split and push days 👍

For anyone that’s done
chest /back
legs
delts arms

how did you work recovery between delts and chest again?
I was looking at the above on an every other day split because my recovery isn’t great but I do love the overhead press

was thinking maybe after the 1st shoulder session the next chest session could be dips and pec Dec to allow some recovery then laterals and uprights then back to pressing Again the following week?
im currently ppl and getting on ok at the minute but feel my delts are almost an after thought. I have maybe also thought about shoulders first on one push day then chest first on next

Or.

Monday, lower body
Tuesday, upper body

Wednesday, off

Thursday, lower body
Friday, upper body

Saturday, off
Sunday, off

Got very good results from this, equal to or better than full body workouts.

I have never trained more frequently than this.
Currently doing this again after doing Push - Legs - Pull 0n a 3 on 1 off rotation and feel so much better recovery wise and much fuller with the lower day upper day split as you have posted here.

For anyone that’s done
chest /back
legs
delts arms

I was looking at the above on an every other day split because my recovery isn’t great but I do love the overhead press

was thinking maybe after the 1st shoulder session the next chest session could be dips and pec Dec to allow some recovery then laterals and uprights then back to pressing Again the following week?
im currently ppl and getting on ok at the minute but feel my delts are almost an after thought. I have maybe also thought about shoulders first on one push day then chest first on next
I did that for quite awhile. Got it from Phil. After awhile my elbows started hurting more than anything else. Plus I'm not beholden to a strict schedule and train when I feel good and sometimes take days off when I need it or life gets in the way and it doesn't always correspond to a 3 on 1 off training cycle. I ended up using the same type of workout sets/reps wise but switched to a push/legs/pull.

For anyone that’s done
chest /back
legs
delts arms

Why not give shoulders their own day? I think this is the issue with ppl. Shoulders and legs are neglected. The two parts that really make you stand out.

Why not give shoulders their own day? I think this is the issue with ppl. Shoulders and legs are neglected. The two parts that really make you stand out.
I disagree. It boggles my mind when I see people train 1 bodypart a day but then train legs, which is actually 3 muscles, as if it's just 1 bodypart. If training intensley, anterior gets hit with chest and posterior indirectly with back. I look at it like it's being hit once directly and twice indirectly, if training one bodypart a week. Unless you have shoulders of STEELE, they would possibly be overtrained. Now I have to admit, shoulders is one of my best bodyparts. If you use an MRI, you can see a LOT of damage that's accumulated over the years. I haven't trained them in over 8 months but looking at them you couldn't tell.

I agree.

Im not a bodybuilder but i would overtrain my shoulders if i gave them a whole day.

I disagree. It boggles my mind when I see people train 1 bodypart a day but then train legs, which is actually 3 muscles, as if it's just 1 bodypart. If training intensley, anterior gets hit with chest and posterior indirectly with back. I look at it like it's being hit once directly and twice indirectly, if training one bodypart a week. Unless you have shoulders of STEELE, they would possibly be overtrained. Now I have to admit, shoulders is one of my best bodyparts. If you use an MRI, you can see a LOT of damage that's accumulated over the years. I haven't trained them in over 8 months but looking at them you couldn't tell.
I would think the opposite. I'm no expert but I'd say over history a body part split is the most popular. Usually when you look at someone it's usually a lack of chest, arms or delts that people comment as a "lagging part".

Imo it's hard to overtrain side and rear delts they are typically known as high volume frequency parts and they are difficult to overload. Where legs can be overloaded with heavy weight for a long period of time before you stall and need to switch the exercises.

Then keep in mind whatever split someone does they have to enjoy and believe in. People seen to love bro splits where you can just pick 1 muscle group and destroy it.

I would think the opposite. I'm no expert but I'd say over history a body part split is the most popular. Usually when you look at someone it's usually a lack of chest, arms or delts that people comment as a "lagging part".

Imo it's hard to overtrain side and rear delts they are typically known as high volume frequency parts and they are difficult to overload. Where legs can be overloaded with heavy weight for a long period of time before you stall and need to switch the exercises.

Then keep in mind whatever split someone does they have to enjoy and believe in. People seen to love bro splits where you can just pick 1 muscle group and destroy it.
I've been at this for 28 years and I never in my life did your statndard "bro split". With that said, I started bodybuilding at 20 because it's something I wanted to do since I was a 7 year old kid. I had some influence from Mike Mentzer's heavy duty/Dorian Yates blood n guts training. As I got older I evolved. My focus was always on complete devolpment. I also felt training same bodypart every 4-5 days with 4 workouts per week were optimal for me. When younger I could train 6 days(3 on 1 off), even twice a day for contest prep for certain amount of weeks before I burned out.

I've been at this for 28 years and I never in my life did your statndard "bro split". With that said, I started bodybuilding at 20 because it's something I wanted to do since I was a 7 year old kid. I had some influence from Mike Mentzer's heavy duty/Dorian Yates blood n guts training. As I got older I evolved. My focus was always on complete devolpment. I also felt training same bodypart every 4-5 days with 4 workouts per week were optimal for me. When younger I could train 6 days(3 on 1 off), even twice a day for contest prep for certain amount of weeks before I burned out.

Out of all the days, “shoulder” day confuses me most. If you have a set of 20-40lb dumbells and a couple bands, I can add all the extra volume my shoulders could ever handle in front of my TV.

Unless you were training for strongman….standing OHP is pretty damn taxing with axels and logs

Out of all the days, “shoulder” day confuses me most. If you have a set of 20-40lb dumbells and a couple bands, I can add all the extra volume my shoulders could ever handle in front of my TV.

Unless you were training for strongman….standing OHP is pretty damn taxing with axels and logs
I think some people just overthink and over do it when it comes to shoulders. I remember a little over 20 years ago talking to this Pro. BB. from South America who was here in the States competing. We were talking about training and he mentioned that he only did a few sets of lateral raises for shoulders after chest, thats it. Now I know we all have our strengths and weaknesses but the Delts can only handle so much and some people don't realize how taxing some Chest and Back exercises can be on the deltoids.

I think some people just overthink and over do it when it comes to shoulders. I remember a little over 20 years ago talking to this Pro. BB. from South America who was here in the States competing. We were talking about training and he mentioned that he only did a few sets of lateral raises for shoulders after chest, thats it. Now I know we all have our strengths and weaknesses but the Delts can only handle so much and some people don't realize how taxing some Chest and Back exercises can be on the deltoids.
True and correct. Shoulders take a beating on just about every upper body exercise. The muscle might be able to handle the work but the joint will suffer IMHO.

True and correct. Shoulders take a beating on just about every upper body exercise. The muscle might be able to handle the work but the joint will suffer IMHO.
I have never trained front delts directly because they have always grown from chest work. I don’t think there’s anything that really hits the mid delt. Rear delts yes pulldowns or rows to an extent. But my mid and rest delts were severely lagging until I isolated them. I see a lot of guys with sub par delts compared to the rest of their physique.

I have never trained front delts directly because they have always grown from chest work. I don’t think there’s anything that really hits the mid delt. Rear delts yes pulldowns or rows to an extent. But my mid and rest delts were severely lagging until I isolated them. I see a lot of guys with sub par delts compared to the rest of their physique.
This. I've been trying to bring mine up. But looking around the gym, seems like everyone has under developed delts. If you have em they are definitely a stand out part that adds to the illusion.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Shoulders/Arms
Fri,Sat,Sun: off

Just something stupid i have been doing for awhile now. I will be 52 next month. I like high sets and high reps

This. I've been trying to bring mine up. But looking around the gym, seems like everyone has under developed delts. If you have em they are definitely a stand out part that adds to the illusion.
I get a lot of comments on my shoulders. I hammered the fuck out of them for a year straight to bring them up and now I don’t have to hit them as hard.

4 day split but training 5 days per week, so every week a different muscle group would be trained twice.
Sun-Thursday training, Fri-Sat off
Back/rear delts
Chest/mid delts
Legs
Arms
Typically I’m only doing 3-4 exercise per muscle group. Either straight sets of any rep range from 10-20. Or 20/15/10/20
All sets are pretty much to “failure” which I know is different for everyone. Sometimes I’ll do failure of form or sometimes I’ll push out a couple uglier less strict reps.

Right now I'm training everyday, alternating upper and lower. Whatever is not sore is getting trained.

I've been pretty committed to full body (at least mostly) the last year or so. Over the last 5 months I've honed it into more of how Jordan Peters walks through it here:

I can usually get through 3-4 full body workouts a week within an hour each. The only way this has been possible is I've radically changed how I complete a rep over the last 5 years. It varies slightly, but it always falls between...5-8 second negative, hold contraction for ~3 seconds, 4-7 second positive. There is not a single solitary ounce of momentum used at any point, in any rep. You'll find the amount of warmups you need are almost non-existent when you train like this. I do just one set of total failure (but don't use beyond failure techniques).
I am torn between JPs programs, Fortitude, or the classic 2-way DC. They all built off the last so I am conflicted as to which to try, DC has the most info available but the other two seem very interesting.

I am completely overthinking training but I think I'd be better off to go with something tried and true.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member