Or.

Monday, lower body
Tuesday, upper body

Wednesday, off

Thursday, lower body
Friday, upper body

Saturday, off
Sunday, off

Got very good results from this, equal to or better than full body workouts.

I have never trained more frequently than this.
Lately due to stress from work and months of training to failure 5x a week I feel exhausted. Taking a week or two off then going to start one of your splits.

Do you have an example of what one of your full body days look like or your upper days when you do a u/l split? I believe you use super sets and pre exhaust?

Full body, 3X per week.

An hour, no problemo.

Stay focused, don’t fuck around, talk to people, admire yourself in the mirror; move briskly between the exercises, and keep your rest between sets at about 30 secs, legs about a minute. And this is two exercises per body part, 1 - 2, never more 3 sets per exercise. Train smart, figure things out, how you can work opposing body parts back to back, look for open machines / exercises (this will give you all the variety you need), etc. This young man I am training now is does this and he is growing like a weed.

Am not saying it is easy, it never is, but you will adapt.
Just scrolled up well there is the 3x full body. Would definitely like to see the u/l split. I assume you cram a bit more volume in for parts per session since your only hitting twice vs 3x a week.

My current split might be unconventional, but it's based on putting weak parts first and most often. I change it according to what I feel like I need after a few training blocks. I usually go M-F, so my day 6 floats to Monday of the following week and starts over.

Day 1 - Chest, triceps,
Day 2 - Quads, hams
Day 3 - Calves, side delts, biceps
Day 4 - Chest, triceps
Day 5 - Quads, hams
Day 6 - Calves, back, rear delts, biceps

Unfortunately I don't have a rest day between workouts which I have found optimal for me, due to my work schedule so it's 3 days in a row of training.

Day1# Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Day2# Quads, Hams, Calves
Day3# Back, Biceps, Abs

M - Chest, back, calves
T - Legs (Quad focus), abs
W- Arms, shoulder, calves
Thurs - Off
F - Chest, back, calves
Sat - Weak body parts, forearms
Sun - Off

Low volume. 35-45 min of cardio most days since I'm dieting down. Fasted cardio first thing on off days. Kind of a variation of the program Phil Hernon had me doing years ago.

Reactions: KTT
Unfortunately I don't have a rest day between workouts which I have found optimal for me, due to my work schedule so it's 3 days in a row of training.

Day1# Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Day2# Quads, Hams, Calves
Day3# Back, Biceps, Abs
Thats its for the week?

Whats the volume like per workout?

Anyone try the torso/limbs version of upper lower? I believe lats posted about an old college who ran this split and it makes sense vs upper/lower for people who want to put some extra emphasis on arms.

Lately due to stress from work and months of training to failure 5x a week I feel exhausted. Taking a week or two off then going to start one of your splits.

Do you have an example of what one of your full body days look like or your upper days when you do a u/l split? I believe you use super sets and pre exhaust?
And you wonder why you can't make the gains you want.

And you wonder why you can't make the gains you want.
Overall volume is low to moderate 6-12 sets per part and I gradually added in more delts and arms to even get to 12. But yeah I definitely need to make changes, especially with added stress from work. Thinking 6 sets per part per week for a while.

Thats its for the week?

Whats the volume like per workout?
That's it for the week, yes. Large muscle groups 12-14 sets, smaller groups get 8-10 sets. I've tried routines training 5-6 days per week and they were counterproductive. I don't have the luxury of being able to train daily or whenever I want. I have a demanding full time job, wife, kids with a million other responsibilities. Bodybuilding is my #1 love but I have other hobbies and things I enjoy. Obviously with 4 days off from the gym I recover very well , still make progress and rarely have any gym injuries.

Monday- chest/shoulders
Tuesday- back/traps/abs
Wednesday- off
Thursday- legs
Friday- arms
Weekend- off

One set beyond failure, if training with training partner

If training alone, one set to failure than a 2nd lighter set to failure

That's it for the week, yes. Large muscle groups 12-14 sets, smaller groups get 8-10 sets. I've tried routines training 5-6 days per week and they were counterproductive. I don't have the luxury of being able to train daily or whenever I want. I have a demanding full time job, wife, kids with a million other responsibilities. Bodybuilding is my #1 love but I have other hobbies and things I enjoy. Obviously with 4 days off from the gym I recover very well , still make progress and rarely have any gym injuries.
Awesome

Im looking to scale my training back to 4 days week.

Just scrolled up well there is the 3x full body. Would definitely like to see the u/l split. I assume you cram a bit more volume in for parts per session since your only hitting twice vs 3x a week.
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

A u/l split is essentially the same exercises, same principles, sets and reps as a full body routine. Perhaps an added exercise or two but that is it. The goal is not creating room to do more exercise(s), it is to add more time to recover.

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

Would you guys agree or disagree that training really isn't very complicated when it comes to hypertrophy training? Came back to this thread because I was over-thinking my routine recently. Just using this post as evidence it seems most things work to a greater or lesser degree and a person could really do any routine really as long as they focus on progressive overload?
Full body 3x, PPL 2x, U/L U/L, "bro" splits, we have all those in here.
Strength training seems to be more settled and regimented while training for size is more free and open?

Would you guys agree or disagree that training really isn't very complicated when it comes to hypertrophy training? Came back to this thread because I was over-thinking my routine recently. Just using this post as evidence it seems most things work to a greater or lesser degree and a person could really do any routine really as long as they focus on progressive overload?
Strength training seems to be more settled and regimented while training for size is more free and open?
This is correct.

Training for hypertrophy is all about feeling the squeeze and stretch in the muscle. If you can't feel that then you're not stimulating the muscle and won't grow optimally. Don't even think in terms of exercises - think in terms of I want to stress the muscles through this plane and that plane and I will use whatever movement gets that done. This is why you see very advanced guys using partial range of motion, weird movements, etc. - they've figured out what works best for them.

Trial and error is key. Find the movements that you feel the best in your muscles and get as strong as possible on them - that's how you get huge.

This is correct.

Training for hypertrophy is all about feeling the squeeze and stretch in the muscle. If you can't feel that then you're not stimulating the muscle and won't grow optimally. Don't even think in terms of exercises - think in terms of I want to stress the muscles through this plane and that plane and I will use whatever movement gets that done. This is why you see very advanced guys using partial range of motion, weird movements, etc. - they've figured out what works best for them.

Trial and error is key. Find the movements that you feel the best in your muscles and get as strong as possible on them - that's how you get huge.
Regarding your split- I like your detailed logs and have read every one of them haha.

You switched from a PPL to a 6 day split, did you notice any real differences physique wise or was it more just a preference in training style?

Some make it way too complicated.

The simpler you can make it the better in my opinion. I think keeping very accurate and detailed records is just as important as the training (and diet).

The thing is, everthing works . . . for a while.

Somebody (Bill Pearl?) once said everybody will make progress even on the worst ‘routine’ if you believe in it. Attitude is hugely underrated.

Regarding your split- I like your detailed logs and have read every one of them haha.

You switched from a PPL to a 6 day split, did you notice any real differences physique wise or was it more just a preference in training style?
Last year I made the switch from PPL (which I'd done for about 5 years) to one body part a day and it helped me get to my biggest ever. I wouldn't attribute that strictly to the training split as I used Lantus for the first time, switched from EAAs intra to PeptoPro, etc. But I do feel giving the muscle more volume per session and more recovery between sessions helped unlock new growth.

Last year I made the switch from PPL (which I'd done for about 5 years) to one body part a day and it helped me get to my biggest ever. I wouldn't attribute that strictly to the training split as I used Lantus for the first time, switched from EAAs intra to PeptoPro, etc. But I do feel giving the muscle more volume per session and more recovery between sessions helped unlock new growth.
So you are doing a typical bro split now?

Like:
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms

So you are doing a typical bro split now?

Like:
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms
Yes. My split is:
  • Quads
  • Shoulders
  • Arms
  • Glutes & hamstrings
  • Chest
  • Back
I don't have fixed days for training - I typically train 3 on 1 off but that's not a hard rule, I just take off days as I feel I need them. When my rebound gets going strong I'll probably have some stretches of 10-14 days in a row training.

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner