over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training techniques for each bodypart

For decline bench just place a couple of plates under the bottom side of the bench (where your ass sits), this raises the bottom a few inches giving a slight decline. Very quick and easy way of doing declines.

Addition to hamstring portion of the thread

So I know we moved on to chest, but I have another note on hamstrings. Yesterday I was doing legs and remembered a technique I used to use and use with a lot of clients in the last as well. When doing a machine based knee flexion(leg curl) there is a pretty noticeable difference in your strength depending on your ankle positioning. When dorsiflexed( toe pointing back up at you, you are stronger in knee flexion because the gastroc or calf will work with the hamstrings to complete the movement, but when you plantarflex the ankle(point toes away) it takes the calf out of the equation, isolating your hamstrings more. Because you are stronger eccentrically (for a leg curl as your leg straightens) you can utilize the aforementioned actualities to do a couple different things to "overload" the Hams:

1) choose a weight the you just barely cannot do a complete well concerted, full ROM contraction with your toes pointed away with. Then use the weight but pint your toe the opposite direction during the concentric portion of the exefcise(as you flex your knees brining your heels to your butt) and then as you reverse motions point the toes away to overload the hamstrings eccentrically.

2) the way I prefer.... I always emphasize a toes pointed down or away position on leg curls. As such I conduct my set until I fail concentrically with my toes away then use the above technique to finish the set.

I know, not new stuff or mind googling, but I thought I would add to this thread. I was excited to see a thread devoted towards training techniques instead of gear. This is why I love the sport.:headbang:

So Phil, for chest - dips and declines?

Want to elaborate more on techniques for each?

Thanks!

twice a day

I did that for many years when trying to get huge.

Phil, do you still train twice a day or do you recommend it if one has the time ?
Two short intense bursts instead of a longer session?

WOW! Those hanging DB leg curls.

Never felt such a tight squeeze on the hamstrings. After the first set the hammies were sore, still are and its a few hours since I left the gym.

Going to be doing these a lot more frequently!

If doing the stiff leg deads and another hamstring exercise would you do SLD's first or second?

If doing the stiff leg deads and another hamstring exercise would you do SLD's first or second?

Personally, I'd usually leave them until last or at least until there is no more overhead work left in the workout (as they fatigue lower back)

Another benefit of doing SLD's later in the workout is that the first exercise(s) will fill the muscles with blood and then you get to stretch the hell out of it with deads.

Question to Phil

That is NOT the form I am talking about .....that is a decent exercise, but it does not hit the hams like the one I described. I do not like using that exercise for my leg curls.........but I do like that exercise for hyperextensions for hamstrings.......like a Yessis leg curl

WHEN DO YOU INCOPERATE hyperextensions ?

Phil I just started incorporating still legs again and can barely get just below my knee before the stretch is too much and the weight seems to transfer over to my lower back .. (IS THIS ROM SUFFICIENT) feet alittle wider then sh width

in regards to your leg curl on a pad I have been adding weights but my question is do you tap the floor or do you push off just a bit? I noticed if i dont push at all kind of a dead stop my strength is way down compared to a slight push I can keep increasing in weight?

Thanks Dr. Phil (DONT KNOW IF THAT NICKNAME IS APPROPRIATE)

you do know more then my md about blood work though so maybe you got into the wrong proffession

Phil I just started incorporating still legs again and can barely get just below my knee before the stretch is too much and the weight seems to transfer over to my lower back .. (IS THIS ROM SUFFICIENT) feet alittle wider then sh width

That's sufficient ROM. What's important is getting a good stretch in the hamstrings, not how far down you can go. And SLDLs work the lower back as well. An added bonus of doing them.

I will give my input on what I have done throughout my career as far as form goes for each bodypart. This week lets start with hamstrings. I use 3 exercises........
1. Stiff leg dead lifts-Back arched (chest out, shoulders back), kneed slightly bent, butt out, reach forward slightly..........focus on rotating at the hips gping forward and not just trying to touch the ground. It does not matter how low you get, it just matters how much your hamstrings stretch and contract.
2. DB leg curls- Hang from a high bar, have partner place DB between ankles.....curl upwards towards your butt. You will need wrist wraps.
3. floor curls- Kneel on a pad, have partner hold ankles........keep body as straight as possible, curl body upwards. You will need to catch yourslef on the way down like a push up.

Avoid cable curls and that other nonsense........get huge hams the tried and true way. Good luck.

How many floor curls can you do ?
I can´t do one

in regards to your leg curl on a pad I have been adding weights but my question is do you tap the floor or do you push off just a bit? I noticed if i dont push at all kind of a dead stop my strength is way down compared to a slight push I can keep increasing in weight?

Thanks Dr. Phil (DONT KNOW IF THAT NICKNAME IS APPROPRIATE)

you do know more then my md about blood work though so maybe you got into the wrong proffession

Make sure your ass goes back first, if your rom is insufficient, you should work on flexability

#3 scares me... :eek:

#3 is freakin' hard, but a great hamstring exercise. There are machines for this specific exercise, which you can use instead of doing it the way Phil describes, but not many gyms have this machine. It is likely that you will see this aparatus at a powerlifting gym more often then a commercial gym.

The best way to do inclines is to use a smith machine, because it helps you focus more on the targeted muscle. One study from Illinois State University (Normal) reported that when subjects performed free-weight presses, they used more front- and middle-delt muscles than during machine presses. The researchers reasoned that this is likely due to the need for the deltoid muscles to stabilize the shoulder joints to balance the bar when pressing a barbell. Because the machine is on a fixed path, the shoulders don’t need to stabilize the shoulder joints. Less involvement from the delts means you can place focus more on the pecs for greater muscle growth.

I would agree with you here; smith inclines are frequently a superior movement in comparison to free weight inclines, especially for guys who can't seem to take their delts out of themovement.

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for Delts and Arms threads by Phil.

And calves.

If u search treads startd by phil, he actually has a thread called calf training tips from awhile ago... Would b good to see new one tho too... What's tha next part phil? luyinnnn that ham exercise on tha floor btw too, old school shit... :)

I would like to see biceps , from reading his articles im assuming

DB hammer curls, and alternate curls, and cambered close bar curls

How about elbow and shoulder parallel concentration curls (db or cable) ?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws