over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training to Failure

Now a days I go to FORM FAILURE, the older I get the easier I get injured so I go until my form starts getting fucked then I'm done. I watch most people go to failure and they are incorporating way more than the target muscle to push themselves further to get to that failing point.
1000% agree
To me, this is the clearest on back movements. You see guys dp a low row, really contracting a lower lat and as they fatigue it turns into “whatever muscles can row this” row, swinging everything into it.
I go until my form sucks and then, just to make sure I’m pushin it, hit partials.

I was justt havin this convo with another SHW BBer at the gym. Every month or so, I have a couple movement that I need to reset the form on. I have pushed too hard and too heavy on progressive overload and because of that, form sucks and I’m not progressing like I should. So i ego check myself and pull back. Lower the weight, control the movement. Honestly, that is the exact reason why i sucked at DC when i was younger. I would continually progress, but my form would go to shit and next thing ya know i'm up 30lbs on a lift but it has stalled and i'm using 90% momentum. JP has always been a big, "stop, reset form, then keep moving" kind of guy and it took me years to understand and apply that to my own training

I FUCKING LOVED the road warriors (LOD). They motivated me to get as big as I possibly could.
Not to hijack this thread, but imagine being a skinny 14 year old kid and seeing these monsters in a workout promo video. I had to wait 2 years to get a gym membership because you had to be 16 to belong to the local gym. It was my 16th bday present from my mom.

I've always wrote that.. your training must follow your personality and lifestyle.. if your a laid back guy who just doesn't generate alot of intensity then higher volume , short of failure training is the routine.. im a guy who loses interest real quick. I want to get in. Tear it up. Get out. Low volume.. failure training. Form must be perfect as I'm anal as hell about it. A couple sets then move on. I've tried higher volume and my boredom just killed me.
Perfect explanation look at Branch Warren his personality is intense and so is his training

Now a days I go to FORM FAILURE, the older I get the easier I get injured so I go until my form starts getting fucked then I'm done. I watch most people go to failure and they are incorporating way more than the target muscle to push themselves further to get to that failing point.
1000% agree
To me, this is the clearest on back movements. You see guys dp a low row, really contracting a lower lat and as they fatigue it turns into “whatever muscles can row this” row, swinging everything into it.
I go until my form sucks and then, just to make sure I’m pushin it, hit partials.

I was justt havin this convo with another SHW BBer at the gym. Every month or so, I have a couple movement that I need to reset the form on. I have pushed too hard and too heavy on progressive overload and because of that, form sucks and I’m not progressing like I should. So i ego check myself and pull back. Lower the weight, control the movement. Honestly, that is the exact reason why i sucked at DC when i was younger. I would continually progress, but my form would go to shit and next thing ya know i'm up 30lbs on a lift but it has stalled and i'm using 90% momentum. JP has always been a big, "stop, reset form, then keep moving" kind of guy and it took me years to understand and apply that to my own training
Totally agree - this has been a big part of my progress the last few years. You have to master keeping the fatigue on the muscle and not on the nervous system.

This is also true for those insistent on progression poundage week on week no matter how bad the form gets

I still struggle with this because i am drawn to programs that emphasize progressive overload. DC, Fortitude etc. I wholeheartedly believe these programs are superior, but at the same time I need to keep myself in check because I too find myself using momentum, speeding up the eccentric, leverage etc. to beat the book.

I trained to failure as a training block for 6 months and was never stronger.

What people don’t realize is that true training to failure is 1 body part per day and 7 days a week.

How can you do multiple body parts a day and train each to failure without neglecting the 2nd body part? You can’t!

What people don’t realize is that true training to failure is 1 body part per day and 7 days a week.

How can you do multiple body parts a day and train each to failure without neglecting the 2nd body part? You can’t!
This is one reason I like bro splits. Many of the science nerds will hate on them "the neanderthal split" " frequency!" But they work. I hate ppl and fill body. I'm sure as hell not shoving in a few sets of arms at the end of each workout as I'm leaving the gym. What makes a physique stand out? Arms and shoulders. Prioritize them!

I mean the old DC two way you did a knarly RP set for chest/shoulders/triceps/back width/back thickness, then the next day was biceps/forearms/calves/hams/quads. So what’s that? 5 muscles? Definitely hard AF

I always enjoyed the 3 way split. Basically push/pull/legs lifting 4 times a week

I mean the old DC two way you did a knarly RP set for chest/shoulders/triceps/back width/back thickness, then the next day was biceps/forearms/calves/hams/quads. So what’s that? 5 muscles? Definitely hard AF

I always enjoyed the 3 way split. Basically push/pull/legs lifting 4 times a week
I think the DC splits are one of the few where overall volume is low enough you can get quality work for every part. Not sure about the other poster but I was referring to the ppl splits where you do 8 sets of chest, 4 for front delts, 4 for side, then hit Tris. Even if the body can still hit Tris with similar intensify, mentally the person should be pretty drained from 16 sets already completed hopefully to failure...and if adequate rest... probably already been training an hour.

I think the DC splits are one of the few where overall volume is low enough you can get quality work for every part. Not sure about the other poster but I was referring to the ppl splits where you do 8 sets of chest, 4 for front delts, 4 for side, then hit Tris. Even if the body can still hit Tris with similar intensify, mentally the person should be pretty drained from 16 sets already completed hopefully to failure...and if adequate rest... probably already been training an hour.
Bro science tells us to train the big body parts are compound movements first. But, there is no rule that says you can switch the order every time you do this. Day A would be Chest/Delts/Tris with loading sets for chest and pump sets for tris. Day B could be Delts/Chest/Tris. Day C could be Tris/Delts/Chest. Loading sets for Tris, pump sets for chest. OR if you have a lagging bodypart (say delts) you could always start with them.

Not to hijack this thread, but imagine being a skinny 14 year old kid and seeing these monsters in a workout promo video. I had to wait 2 years to get a gym membership because you had to be 16 to belong to the local gym. It was my 16th bday present from my mom.
Gotta hate those "BAD SURPRISES"!!!Lol AWESOME stuff Bro!! Thanks for sharing!!

Gotta hate those "BAD SURPRISES"!!!Lol AWESOME stuff Bro!! Thanks for sharing!!
Nothing like a few forearm shivers to the low back after some heavy bent rows :)

Training to failure as i see it just means that 1 more rep can not be achieved. It may mean failing at a lower weight or lower rep then the previous set. But if there were no more reps to be had then that is failure. By your definition it would seem that only 1 body part and 1 set would be all that was allowed. As the second set would have the same effect as multiple body parts due to fatigue setting after the first set.

1 Rest pause set so a total of 4 mini sets to failure per body part. Exept for back it gets 2 of the above.

Lagging muscles get an additional hard high rep set of 20-30 reps with a pause at the stretch.
You still train DC?

I could talk about this stuff for hours. I would say 90% of people don't train to true failure but even if you do there are still many different types of failure sets especially for experienced guys who are conscious of overall output and cns fatigue etc. You shouldn't just throw in crazy failure sets throughout every training session especially if training volume is on the higher side. I change things up all the time and there are many different types of failure sets.

There is nothing more I love/hate than a big set of 25-30 reps with a weight you are failing with at around 15 reps on leg press or hack squats. When you are failing you stop (don't rack the weight) and rest then go again and get a few more and repeat until you get to your total number of reps. That can produce extreme amounts of muscular/mechanical tension but also cns fatigue. I love doing that and it works amazingly well but at other times I may just pick a weight I can get approx 10 reps with and I simply fail. I use a fixed rep speed (could be faster or slower) and I don't rest at the top and simply fail when my muscles fail.

At other times and especially for high risk movements such as stiff leg deadlifts I do what BBoy stated and I form fail. I am not going to go until I can't move the bar another inch because I know I will injure myself pushing a movement like that with my lower back. There is a time and place for everything and a smart trainer will know when to pull back but for most movements I am taking them to hell and back.

when I was younger, I definitely liked low volume and going for muscle fall - now the older I am, the more I appreciate Jay Cutler's training style, i.e. instead of doing leg press 400kg x 14 reps to fall, I prefer to do 3x10 with the same weight, leaving a little in the tank - the volume will reward a little lower intensity and I will not have such a high risk of injury

when I was younger, I definitely liked low volume and going for muscle fall - now the older I am, the more I appreciate Jay Cutler's training style, i.e. instead of doing leg press 400kg x 14 reps to fall, I prefer to do 3x10 with the same weight, leaving a little in the tank - the volume will reward a little lower intensity and I will not have such a high risk of injury
I love sets across. It’s old school and I’ve been using it for 18 months now and it’s been going great. Mechanical tension increases with each work set because the fatigue forces it to. Progressive overload is easily applied and the sets are still hard work. Like in your example, if you have a logbook of progress from sets taken to failure, you can program the load accordingly. Such as selecting your 8-rep max from squats and trying to do it as a 5x5 with 90-second rest periods. Or a 15-rep max of pulldowns as a 3x12. Your reference points are close enough to failure.

Years ago, if someone asked me who the hardest training bodybuilder was, I would have probably said Dorian or something like that. Any of the high-intensity guys, Jordan Peters. Now my answer is Jay Cutler. Doing a top set to failure and then resting for 2-3 minutes is easy compared to doing multiple sets of an exercise and higher overall workload with 45-60 second rest periods. Seriously, if anyone ever wonders why Jay needed the gallon jug of water and was drenched in sweat, try copying his workouts on your next deload or for a change of pace. You’ll be in for a surprise about hard training. I copied the workouts of the pros like anyone else when I was much younger and Jay’s were the hardest because of the pace and workload. I never finished the leg one.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 58
I love sets across. It’s old school and I’ve been using it for 18 months now and it’s been going great. Mechanical tension increases with each work set because the fatigue forces it to. Progressive overload is easily applied and the sets are still hard work. Like in your example, if you have a logbook of progress from sets taken to failure, you can program the load accordingly. Such as selecting your 8-rep max from squats and trying to do it as a 5x5 with 90-second rest periods. Or a 15-rep max of pulldowns as a 3x12. Your reference points are close enough to failure.

Years ago, if someone asked me who the hardest training bodybuilder was, I would have probably said Dorian or something like that. Any of the high-intensity guys, Jordan Peters. Now my answer is Jay Cutler. Doing a top set to failure and then resting for 2-3 minutes is easy compared to doing multiple sets of an exercise and higher overall workload with 45-60 second rest periods. Seriously, if anyone ever wonders why Jay needed the gallon jug of water and was drenched in sweat, try copying his workouts on your next deload or for a change of pace. You’ll be in for a surprise about hard training. I copied the workouts of the pros like anyone else when I was much younger and Jay’s were the hardest because of the pace and workload. I never finished the leg one.
That's a pretty rough looking workout

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity