over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Twice a Day

Matt007

Registered
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but how many of you are training twice a day? Different bodyparts each time over say a 5 or 6 day training week?
I'm especially curious to hear about any natty competitors that do this and what the experience has been where gains and body composition are concerned.
Just doing some research as it looks like I will have time to be able to try this for about an 8 week stretch, so want to start putting it all together bodypart split and diet wise.
I'm an experienced lifter and a natty, 41yrs old with about 20yrs training experience. Despite all that lifting i've never trained twice a day and only came across a split that may work for me in one of Big A's threads.

Cheers!

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but how many of you are training twice a day? Different bodyparts each time over say a 5 or 6 day training week?
I'm especially curious to hear about any natty competitors that do this and what the experience has been where gains and body composition are concerned.
Just doing some research as it looks like I will have time to be able to try this for about an 8 week stretch, so want to start putting it all together bodypart split and diet wise.
I'm an experienced lifter and a natty, 41yrs old with about 20yrs training experience. Despite all that lifting i've never trained twice a day and only came across a split that may work for me in one of Big A's threads.

Cheers!

It's hard enough to rest/eat enough to make 2-a-days work while on large doses of gear...as a natty...sorry but I'm gonna say it's beyond counter-productive and will run you into the ground.

I trained twice per day during contest prep in 2010. I did it to help bring up lagging bodyparts, but I think I ended up hurting progress in the end. It was too much for my body to handle, especially on restricted calories.

I did twice a days about 10 years ago, worked well for a short period but maintaining intesity got tough after a couple of months

Cheers!

Ahhhhhh, one of my FAVORITE TOPICS...THE DOUBLE SPLIT!!

Invented by Reg Park and then later adopted by Arnold(and now guys like Kai and Kuclo), the double split is THE SECRET to accomplishing MORE in LESS TIME. When I use the double split for BULKING, I gain muscle much faster, because I am able to train each muscle more frequently. When I use the double split while CUTTING, it is to increase MY TOTAL CALORIE EXPENDITURE; I DO NOT do "direct" cardio, this system of training burns FAR MORE CALORIES DURING AND AFTER than any other form of cardiovascular activity.

There are MANY variations of the DOUBLE SPLIT, as well as some RULES. I will get in to some of them later when I get back in to my office..:lightbulb:

Last edited:
Think pretty much all these guys are right... I personally don't think you can manage enough rest and calories to actually train hard as hell twice a day

Think pretty much all these guys are right... I personally don't think you can manage enough rest and calories to actually train hard as hell twice a day

I disagree, and Arnold did it for many years straight during his career, as have I.

I don't think it's realistic for those of us who have to balance a full-time job, families, social life etc. I'm interested in hearing more, and it may work on a case-by-case basis, but I think my recovery would be seriously compromised. 4/week is usually my max...

I disagree, and Arnold did it for many years straight during his career, as have I.

You've been doing this for 10 years or so and you're what? 200lbs at 6 feet? I don't think this is a smart way to train for many people.

You've been doing this for 10 years or so and you're what? 200lbs at 6 feet? I don't think this is a smart way to train for many people.

I am 5"10, around 215lbs, 5% bodyfat. Arnold waas 6"2, 225lbs on stage. BODYWEIGHT MEANS NOTHING. You are just another brainwashed "competitor". It's about DENSE, MATURE MUSCLE, on a small, proportionate FRAME. HGH AND INSULIN destroy the chances of achieving that coveted OLD SCHOOL look.

I am 5"10, around 215lbs, 5% bodyfat. Arnold waas 6"2, 225lbs on stage. BODYWEIGHT MEANS NOTHING. You are just another brainwashed "competitor". It's about DENSE, MATURE MUSCLE, on a small, proportionate FRAME. HGH AND INSULIN destroy the chances of achieving that coveted OLD SCHOOL look.

Besides being a "brainwashed competitor" I'm a trainer and a prep coach. I work with natural athletes and athletes that use gear. I've seen 2x per day training burn many people out quickly, including myself. At no point was HGH/insulin, or the "coveted old-school look" mentioned in any post in this thread. I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this. :confused:

Some guys using slin also do the double split to take advantage of spikes twice a day.

Matt,

I started 2 x day with 2 HIIT (20 min) cardio sessions doing a 4 day on, 1 day off format since July 2011 when I decided to compete (and win) in the 2012 Master's Nationals to be held this July. So I have been in contest prep mode since then

Extreme focus, high intensity, heavy-high-rep-volume training.
Having been an NPC judge for 7 years, I look at my body from that perspective only. This is truth. I have competed in over 30 contests over the last 30+ years. I have won my class in the open class in every National Qualifying show I entered from 30-50.

I have taken 3 years off from competing in which period I had a triple by-pass and all the toes on my right foot amputated (thanks diabetes for 48 years). I will, at age 53, look the best I have ever looked, regardless of age. This is totally due to 2 x day training and being a vegan. The 2 x day as we get older is much more beneficial. I find I can be "super intense" for shorter duration now than I used to. So from that perspective it's kinder on our bodies if we don't force-load it.

It's especially easy for me. When I built this house (2100 sf), garage (2200 sf), I spent some bucks on equipment, HS, Legend, on and on. I tried to recreate the gym I first ever set foot into.
Totally hardcore, no mirrors, no stereo system, concrete floor, no mats, no ac (and I live in FL), no hot chicks, no noise, no distraction, just me and the weights. My am workout starts anywhere's from 2:30-4:00am. Garage doors open, moon shining bright, pitch black out. Man, that's Heaven on earth.:headbang:

I have changed the groupings several times, about every 4-6 weeks, and will continue to do so.

All am workouts done on empty stomach after 20 mins HIIT
All pm workouts after 3-4 meals. cardio done post

Day 1 am: Chest concentrating on push movements
Bicep, Forearm
Day 1 pm: Hack Day - Ham Fall Day - Rev Hack Day - Calf

Day 2 am: Back-DBRow-Rack Pulls
Abs
Day 2 pm: Traps and rear delt

Day 3 am: Leg - Press Day, Single Leg Ext & Curls- Hamtractor-Stiffs-calf
Day 3 pm: Chest - shape and detail
Bi, Forearm

Day 4 am: Side Delt, Front Delt, Traps
Day 4 pm: Tri
Abs

I switch up the muscle groups that get more work, then less work.

Tons of foam rolling recovery work. done daily. twice on leg and rest days.

Feel great. Eating 6 meals, tons of complex carbs, 150 grams prot, as close to zero fat as possible. 183 lbs, 9.1% BF, start on gear Feb 1.

Peace,

Mack

Check out my THINK TANK thread, lots of cool stuff!

Cheers!

Besides being a "brainwashed competitor" I'm a trainer and a prep coach. I work with natural athletes and athletes that use gear. I've seen 2x per day training burn many people out quickly, including myself. At no point was HGH/insulin, or the "coveted old-school look" mentioned in any post in this thread. I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this. :confused:

Any program will burn you out quickly if you are not taking breaks. You took a shot at Ross saying he was "only" 200 pounds,hence his explanation of why he prefers the old school look.

Suparay,

Think of it this way.
If you train 2 bodyparts, even with minimum rest, it would take whatever, 75 minutes or so. So your total exertion time is 75 mins, and I don't believe you can be 100% intense for 75 straight minutes. So if you agree with the time vs intensity concept, then half your workout is done with something less than 100%. I can perform both my 2 sessions, at 100%. I do tons of Rumble Roller work every day for recovery.

If you cut that time in half, so each session was 30-40 mins, it would make sense that you could apply more intensity because it is a shorter period.
The burn out issue arrises only in a mental state because when one is unable to keep their intensity high, they lack proper focus. And focus is the number 1 ingredient in growing muscle.

Focused people never lose motivation regardless of one's endeavor. Motivation is one of the few things in existence that cannot be learned or taught. You either have it or you don't.

This entire concept is a mental process but may show itself in the physical realm. Then, that is interpretted by the people who don't have that God given gift, as overtraining, burnout, etc. The body is capable of handling remarkable torture. Look at a Navy Seal. The one's that made all the way thru the process are Seals, the remaining 98.5% of those that didn't make it,
were not given that gift.

I am retired so I get tons of rest, prepare every meal fresh, and live the life.
But regardless, it's all about one's priorities and other committments.

Read my signature below. That kinda sums it up.

Peace,

Mack

Matt,

I started 2 x day with 2 HIIT (20 min) cardio sessions doing a 4 day on, 1 day off format since July 2011 when I decided to compete (and win) in the 2012 Master's Nationals to be held this July. So I have been in contest prep mode since then

Extreme focus, high intensity, heavy-high-rep-volume training.
Having been an NPC judge for 7 years, I look at my body from that perspective only. This is truth. I have competed in over 30 contests over the last 30+ years. I have won my class in the open class in every National Qualifying show I entered from 30-50.

I have taken 3 years off from competing in which period I had a triple by-pass and all the toes on my right foot amputated (thanks diabetes for 48 years). I will, at age 53, look the best I have ever looked, regardless of age. This is totally due to 2 x day training and being a vegan. The 2 x day as we get older is much more beneficial. I find I can be "super intense" for shorter duration now than I used to. So from that perspective it's kinder on our bodies if we don't force-load it.

It's especially easy for me. When I built this house (2100 sf), garage (2200 sf), I spent some bucks on equipment, HS, Legend, on and on. I tried to recreate the gym I first ever set foot into.
Totally hardcore, no mirrors, no stereo system, concrete floor, no mats, no ac (and I live in FL), no hot chicks, no noise, no distraction, just me and the weights. My am workout starts anywhere's from 2:30-4:00am. Garage doors open, moon shining bright, pitch black out. Man, that's Heaven on earth.:headbang:

I have changed the groupings several times, about every 4-6 weeks, and will continue to do so.

All am workouts done on empty stomach after 20 mins HIIT
All pm workouts after 3-4 meals. cardio done post

Day 1 am: Chest concentrating on push movements
Bicep, Forearm
Day 1 pm: Hack Day - Ham Fall Day - Rev Hack Day - Calf

Day 2 am: Back-DBRow-Rack Pulls
Abs
Day 2 pm: Traps and rear delt

Day 3 am: Leg - Press Day, Single Leg Ext & Curls- Hamtractor-Stiffs-calf
Day 3 pm: Chest - shape and detail
Bi, Forearm

Day 4 am: Side Delt, Front Delt, Traps
Day 4 pm: Tri
Abs

I switch up the muscle groups that get more work, then less work.

Tons of foam rolling recovery work. done daily. twice on leg and rest days.

Feel great. Eating 6 meals, tons of complex carbs, 150 grams prot, as close to zero fat as possible. 183 lbs, 9.1% BF, start on gear Feb 1.

Peace,

Mack

Check out my THINK TANK thread, lots of cool stuff!

Well if you put it like that I do see your side meaning you're retired... There's no way I personally can manage working my fiancé bodybuilding w training twice a day I'm pre contest now and it's hard to keep up with thing and I'm n the gym 2 hours 2 and a half tops... Counting cardio. If I didn't have such a helping fiancé it would b rough but that's just my personal opinion

Thanks all for the replies so far.
Perhaps some more detail of what I'm considering so people can be more informed in their responses.
1- I'm only looking to do this for 8 weeks and then change it up. If it works well I'd look to integrate these phases more regularly in amongst 'one a day' phases.

2- if you find Big A's article on getting ready for contests, where he's doing each body part twice a week, using dropsets (2of) for most body parts, and training different body parts am and pm (eg arms in the am and back in the pm), this'd is thre kind of thing I'm considering although not 100% I'll stick with dropsets yet, although volume will be low and intensity high, possibly revers pyramid as per Phil hernon.

3- I'd be having about 12 hours in between sessions and ther diet has me ingesting about 400+ grams of protein 350 odd of cabs and about 100 of fats from coconut oil. I'm currently 198lbs at around 15% bf and want to recomposition at this weight. Ideally of course my aim is 198-200lbs at sub 10% and then I can assess what's really lacking and map the next phase from there.

4- points are well taken on rest and recovery, I'm lucky that right now I'm able to access weekly deep tissue, sauna and acupuncture when required amongst the regular stretching and diet support.

Yes I'm a natty, I get that this will be a lot harder to do than if I were using gear. At my age I may well be heading for hrt anyway so that may change In The future. But for now, it is what it is.

Big Mack thanks for your input and awesome work on coming back stronger.

Peace from Down Under.

I do this here and there. But I only do it because I don't have enough time during a break from work to get a full workout in. So i split it up

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws