over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Volume

I see Paul Carter mentioned a lot, he has really gone low volume extreme and low rep lately. I just happened to be searching Google on poundstone curls and found this.

Apparently he was a low volume guy, switched to high rep pump work, had good results, was a believer, now is back then advocating low reps heavy weight and low volume?

Odd. I wonder why he keeps switching. Not a knock on him because people change opinions. I did find this old post to be spot on with my experience high volume pump work for delts arms small parts...

He keeps switching bc he’s a big guy but his arms aren’t special at all. Theyre thick but not big and no peak and that’s looking at them with an 8 minute pump, or is it just click bait….?

Just a heads up, Layne Norton has a damn good video on the recent absurdly high volume study. In summary he says many would benefit from increasing volume and talks about his past success with it. Never been a big Norton guy but it's quality content IMO

Personally, I’m a fan of Layne. He tells it like it is and really knows how to break down the data (and flaws it may have).

Personally, I’m a fan of Layne. He tells it like it is and really knows how to break down the data (and flaws it may have).
I just looked at the this video today. I think it still comes down a lot to finding the right balance for you individually and even this could change considering lifestyle factors.

True. I didn't see this one was talking about the IG one

I just looked at the this video today. I think it still comes down a lot to finding the right balance for you individually and even this could change considering lifestyle factors.
And genetics which is HUGE. But influencers can’t influence genetics so most act like they don’t exist.

And genetics which is HUGE. But influencers can’t influence genetics so most act like they don’t exist.
Well, we have to remember that in the real world that when giving recommendations you have to generalize a bit. People don’t want to just hear “it depends” for every question they have, even if that’s the reality for a lot of things. So recommendations are given based off what the data shows for the average person, which in this scenario based off what we’ve seen (and my anecdote as well) is more volume is better, recovery allowing.

Definitely, lots of people cannot commit simply enough time to push volume.

Well, we have to remember that in the real world that when giving recommendations you have to generalize a bit. People don’t want to just hear “it depends” for every question they have, even if that’s the reality for a lot of things. So recommendations are given based off what the data shows for the average person, which in this scenario based off what we’ve seen (and my anecdote as well) is more volume is better, recovery allowing.
I agree with your take 1,000% I just don’t think most influencers are worth a shit. Just my opinion, maybe I’m old lol. I do know the best Mr.Os ever all came up without social media influencing them.

I agree with your take 1,000% I just don’t think most influencers are worth a shit. Just my opinion, maybe I’m old lol. I do know the best Mr.Os ever all came up without social media influencing them.
I agree totally! I make it a point to check out Lee Priest and others from the past every so often just cut through today's confusion and over complicating things. I know that his genetics made a difference but I for one admit to putting way too much thought into how many times I should pick a weight up and lift and how often that I should do it.Lol!

I agree totally! I make it a point to check out Lee Priest and others from the past every so often just cut through today's confusion and over complicating things. I know that his genetics made a difference but I for one admit to putting way too much thought into how many times I should pick a weight up and lift and how often that I should do it.Lol!
This.. sometimes I'll just Google " Frank zane arms day" or serge nubrets shoulder routine...and go fucking do it have fun vs worrying about sets reps beating the log book on side delt raises lol

I see Paul Carter mentioned a lot, he has really gone low volume extreme and low rep lately. I just happened to be searching Google on poundstone curls and found this.

Apparently he was a low volume guy, switched to high rep pump work, had good results, was a believer, now is back then advocating low reps heavy weight and low volume?

Odd. I wonder why he keeps switching. Not a knock on him because people change opinions. I did find this old post to be spot on with my experience high volume pump work for delts arms small parts...

People have short memories on the net but those of us who have been around a while remember Paul quoting very different result based training.
checo out his 350 method 3 sets to hit 50 reps and his 3 big 3 little. He claimed 10yr back that after DC training it was this that put him at 240 natural. Lots of deads squats rows etc.
if it worked 10 years ago why not now.

This.. sometimes I'll just Google " Frank zane arms day" or serge nubrets shoulder routine...and go fucking do it have fun vs worrying about sets reps beating the log book on side delt raises lol
Yea I am always trying to have fun and chase a pump. The mirror will always tell me what needs work. I watch guys go around the gym logging every rep and set and it just seems like no fun. Now I get powerlifters need that and bodybuilding is different so I’m speaking on that not for strength first guys.

This starts out slow but if you stick with him, IMO provides a great perspective on all the volume debates and may explain why some so better on high vs low volume

People have short memories on the net but those of us who have been around a while remember Paul quoting very different result based training.
checo out his 350 method 3 sets to hit 50 reps and his 3 big 3 little. He claimed 10yr back that after DC training it was this that put him at 240 natural. Lots of deads squats rows etc.
if it worked 10 years ago why not now.
I just had time to look these up. The 350 method seems silly but the big little approach isn't a bad idea. The more I experiment the more I find that different body parts respond much differently to things like volume, intensity, rep range, tempo. No one could get in a viable leg or back session on a work break at lunch. But if you have an office and have 2-3 sets of dumbbells, you could actually do drop sets, myo reps, Seth sets, and get in a pump style workout that is worth the time.... for example.

I just had time to look these up. The 350 method seems silly but the big little approach isn't a bad idea. The more I experiment the more I find that different body parts respond much differently to things like volume, intensity, rep range, tempo. No one could get in a viable leg or back session on a work break at lunch. But if you have an office and have 2-3 sets of dumbbells, you could actually do drop sets, myo reps, Seth sets, and get in a pump style workout that is worth the time.... for example.
And people obviously are going to change their training styles over 10 year period we all may have a default like for myself volume, but I’ve gone thru other stuff and without some muscle confusion we stagnate especially as we age

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear