over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training with a broken wrist

Elusive

Registered
Has anyone had any experience training around a broken wrist? Took a bad fall playing basketball and cracked my radius. Have been in a cast for 2 weeks with 4 more to go, and am looking for some suggestions on how to stay active in the gym.

Thus far, I've only been doing lower body machine work (can't really grip a bar to do squats) and treadmill / stairmaster cardio. I'm looking to add in some light upper body stuff that won't involve too much gripping.

Thinking of trying out the lateral raise machine and a pec deck where I can rest my forearms on pads. May also try some light weight cable flyes. I'm thinking of also doing 1 arm rows and 1 arm dumbell presses with my good side.

Lower body hasn't shrank too much, but the upperbody has definitely shrunk from before the injury (as expected).

Thanks for the help!

I agree, last thing you need to do is hurt it again
you will be money ahead if you get healed up. Your body will
thank you for it later on

Yea like ashop said cardio,,some legs ,, i would not bomb them tho that taxes the system, wrist needs all the healing energy it can get.

My time in the gym after a couple shoulder surgeries, is mostly the way you described it. Unilateral work for the one side chest back arm and shoulder, leg cardio. My Orthopedic Sports Surgeons agreed that was a good plan. As it keeps the inactive side from atrophying as much since a nerve impulse still goes down the unused side. Glad I kept training.

I would lay off upper body until its healed 100%. Last thing you want to do is injure it worse and /or prevent it from healing properly. Focus on cardio or targeting your lower body.
I agree with Alin here, focus on lower body work. Even doing modified pec dec type stuff could cause some unneeded pulling by your muscles in the cast possibly complicating the healing process. Let it heal, but once clear of the cast it is going to be weak and susceptible to getting tweeked. I sprained my wrist badly a few yrs ago sparing and I was having a very hard time doing pressing type lifts. To push through I bought good wrist wrap gloves. The wrist wraps MUST be super sturdy and not like the neoprene shit. I used the Go-Fit brand personally with great success for this process. That is what I would do when you return to full duty in a few weeks until you build the wrist back up and then you can carry on however you usually do. If it's only a few weeks just look at it as a perfect opportunity to specialize on the wheels. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Professional Muscle mobile app

I'd lay off the wrist and invest in TB and bpc to help speed things up.

When I busted my hand I made up a whole routine for myself which didn't involve using my hands, all of it had to be with machines. Of course I didn't follow through with much of it because the fucken pins in my hand made any type of movement painful as shit, even if I wasn't using my hand. But hey maybe for you it won't be so bad....

Legs I could still do no problem for the most part, multiple machine exercises

Abs you could do no problem

Chest I figured I could only do pec deck, the style where you're using your forearms on the pad only as you said.

Back I could only think of to do those sitting machines where you lean back against the weight, that would be lower back only obviously

Shoulders I also went with the lateral raise machine

Biceps i used the curl machine but put my forearms under the bar instead of gripping it

Triceps I used the press down machine but also with my forearms instead of gripping it

It was a battle of attrition the whole way, I should have just watched what I ate and did cardio to use the time to lean out. Unfortunately it also coincided with my busy season at work so it just turned into a massive shit show and by the time the 3 months had passed you would think I had never been to the gym in my life. The experience pretty much made me resolve to never be out of shape again in my life!

Good luck to you either way, don't worry about it so much it's never a bad idea to take a break even if it's a forced one just don't sit on the couch and get fat, force yourself to do something if you can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity