over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training with Arthritis

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So I got bad news from my doc, Ive got arthritis starting in my shoulder. It sucks because Im only 51!!! So that being said does anybody on here deal with arthritis?
I like training shoulders and chest and my right shoulder hurts and pops every time I try, even with lower weight.

Is it possible that there is any hope?

There always hope inoverdrive!

I'm 35, diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees when I was 28. My shoulders/rotators have also always been messed up from pitching in baseball, but you can definitely work around it.

I've never been a big bench presser, but I do a lot of pre-exhaustion with cable flyes, low cable flyes, the assisted dip machine, and the seated dip/tricep press before mainly doing smith decline presses.

For shoulders you can do machine laterals, neutral grip machine presses, cable laterals, etc.

You'll probably have to find your own routine, but don't get discouraged. You can find something that works.

Last edited:
Arthritis

I deal with arthritis in every joint Iv had reconstructions on. Both knees shoulders and my bicep. I have it in several places in my back and neck as well. Haven’t touched a straight bar in years except to squat with opting for dumbbells cables and the free motion type of machines. The pAin is still there but I wrote off the straight bar for good. Plenty of ways to train around it. Hope this helps brotha!

200mg of Deca per week does wonders for my shoulders and knees.

I got osteoarthritis when I was 21 in my surgically repaired shoulder...2nd surgery. I'm 32 now and doing ok. You're fine....

There always hope inoverdrive!

I'm 35, diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees when I was 28. My shoulders/rotators have also always been messed up from pitching in baseball, but you can definitely work around it.

I've never been a big bench presser, but I do a lot of pre-exhaustion with cable flyes, low cable flyes, the assisted dip machine, and the seated dip/tricep press before mainly doing smith decline presses.

For shoulders you can do machine laterals, neutral grip machine presses, cable laterals, etc.

You'll probably have to find your own routine, but don't get discouraged. You can find something that works.

So I got bad news from my doc, Ive got arthritis starting in my shoulder. It sucks because Im only 51!!! So that being said does anybody on here deal with arthritis?
I like training shoulders and chest and my right shoulder hurts and pops every time I try, even with lower weight.

Which doc said it, primary, ortho or rheumatologist? You can see a rheumatologist and see if there's anything they recommend. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, so spinal arthritis and it also affects some of the other joints in my body. I've had a lot of spine surgeries too. You just learn to do what you can. Warm your shoulder up good and proper before lifting.

Which doc said it, primary, ortho or rheumatologist? You can see a rheumatologist and see if there's anything they recommend. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, so spinal arthritis and it also affects some of the other joints in my body. I've had a lot of spine surgeries too. You just learn to do what you can. Warm your shoulder up good and proper before lifting.

It was an ortho. I started doing more mobility work at home to try to build up the smaller muscles around it that get neglected.

I have a few buddies who have arthritis and swear by deca in all
Their cycles to help lubricate their joints.

Hi Inoverdrive, I'm 61 and have had a hip replacement and a shoulder resurfacing (both on the right side). My other hip needs one and my left shoulder is pretty bad too. I still hit it hard. I think Alzadosghost said it best, the straight bar isn't your friend. Dumbells and machines, higher reps, and a lot of experimtation to find what you can do. I still squat, but I use a Manta Ray attachment and tie cords around the bar that hang down on each side so I can grip them instead of the bar. Kind of like a cheap safety squat bar. Anyway...you just have to adjust. I haven't tried Deca yet, and was considering BPC157 and TB500.

I have a few buddies who have arthritis and swear by deca in all
Their cycles to help lubricate their joints.
I know this is an older thread but giving a bump. I've developed arthritis pretty bad in my hands making it hard to grab a DB . Thought I broke my thumb but it's in both, came on fast as I've never had this

Just started looking into remedies...deca, glucosamine, anyone had any supplements that actually helped?

I know this is an older thread but giving a bump. I've developed arthritis pretty bad in my hands making it hard to grab a DB . Thought I broke my thumb but it's in both, came on fast as I've never had this

Just started looking into remedies...deca, glucosamine, anyone had any supplements that actually helped?
What has caused you to develop arthritis at roughly 40 years old?

Where in your thumb?

Where in your thumb?

Pretty much there. Originally hurt opening a jar. Over time can't even open jars but fine otherwise. Then began hurting walking with a plate, grabbing things, walking around carrying my laptop between my thumb and fore finger. Then began hurting at night. Getting worse, now affecting working out, putting on pants, etc. I have been doing high volume chinups...not sure if that's a factor

i have arthritis in various areas , the worst is in my right hand, 5boxer fractures and a few that have been rebroken since original fractures, no splints , I used to not be able to hold a pencil and had to palm everything I did lol

my thumb and index finger both stick and pop daily, pinky knuckle is sunken

Pretty much there. Originally hurt opening a jar. Over time can't even open jars but fine otherwise. Then began hurting walking with a plate, grabbing things, walking around carrying my laptop between my thumb and fore finger. Then began hurting at night. Getting worse, now affecting working out, putting on pants, etc. I have been doing high volume chinups...not sure if that's a factor
What has caused you to develop arthritis at roughly 40 years old?

have you tried just taking some time off?
while it sucks, taking time to really just do nothing and let things heal sometimes works wonders.
ive broken both wrists, most of my fingers and lots of other stuff. sometimes just a good break is enough to get things back to workable.

Manage your stress and inflammation while increasing collagen intake.

Sounds too easy, but it’s not considering most things we do in this sport and life can cause stress and inflammation.

But if it’s localized in your thumb it’s likely from over usage so minimize doing movements and things that trigger it. Switch up grips in the gym, text less on your phone etc.

Yea I have arthritis in my left shoulder and just do a lot of shoulder presses, can't do flys yet but I am getting better. Mine would pop all the time but I had three partially torn tendons. Just started with light weight and still can't do anything too heavy but still get a workout in. Can you get it cleaned up/scoped?

Pretty much that joint is the first joint to fall victim to arthritis in the hand typically. Gripping in particular speeds the process. The ace up the sleeve is they can do a "joint replacement" for it when the time comes. I would put some Voltaren gel over the area when it bothers you. There are braces you can use at night as well. There are Comfort cool and Valpeau braces specifically for this issue. You can wear them at night and have benefit during the day yet can where them during the day too.

have you tried just taking some time off?
while it sucks, taking time to really just do nothing and let things heal sometimes works wonders.
ive broken both wrists, most of my fingers and lots of other stuff. sometimes just a good break is enough to get things back to workable.
Like most of us I'm stubborn as fuck but your right. If I was advising another I'd tell them take time off but won't do it myself. Today I'm starting a break, just gonna do cardio and some pt on the area. .I'll call that my workout. A week off is tough mentally especially when things are going good but I need to rest it for sure.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear