advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training with DDD (degenerative disk disease)???

RP

Registered
My back had been killing me for a few months. I went and had an MRI done 4 weeks ago. I have DDD. No cushion between one of my lumbars. Since i stopped working out (lost 25 lbs) the pain has gone. Im back in the gym now, going on two weeks, to build a better core. I rarely ever did abs or deads in fear of injuring myself. HAd i done deads and other core building excercises I believe that my disk would not be that of a 70 yr old.

Mostly Ive changed up my leg routine....hex bar deads(seems more comfortable and natural too), leg press, ext., ham curls. Also doing abs and back extensions. I stretch for 20 minutes in the morning and evening.

Can anyone chime in that has a similiar problem? I would like to hear some feed back on training arouns this.

yup

I got it. 3 discs that are degenerated between phase one and two. I'm 36. How did I remedy the situation? a really really good chiropractor. I practically worship my Chiro. With his education and adjustments, he made the impossible possible for me. Now, I can deadlift and squat like a champ. And things just keep getting better (stronger). I think the best chiropractors are those that have had back problems themselves, as he has. My advice....find a good chiropractor and see him on a weekly basis.

Find a really good chiro to take pressure off certain areas and then build your core like none other. You HAVE to learn how to brace in everything that you do and also keep good posture, otherwise the stress falls on the disc.

As for core work, Im talking about weighted stability work like planks, decline lowering, then you can move on to rotation, side flexion, etc. But you also have to apply bracing to big movements like squats, deadlifts, etc. (if you are still cleared to do them).

Keep in mind:

No direct load on the spine (Back squats, military presses)

Use neutral spine all the time.

Bracing is must.

Right now no extreme ranges of motion on the spine.

Talk to a Pilates trainer PT that they will be able to teach you how to engage ALL your core muscles and you will get a strong midsection and still be able to do your BB stuff.

Wanna stronger abs? Learn to use your pelvic floor.

I worked with a whole range of cases and always saw great improvement and most of the cases my clients where totaly pain free within 1 month and doing pretty much everything.

Ask you doctor what is contraindicated and work from there.

You can very well progress to an asymptomatic state and leave a pain free life.

Good advice guys. Ill start with a Chiro , hopefully one that specializes in sports medicine and go from there.

Much appreciated

Hey Bro,
I also had an MRI 3 weeks ago which showed major DDD at L4-L5. I have had sensations and numb spots in my legs for at least 5 years now and over the past year my neuro-sensations and lower back pain have increased. I have now weight 276 at 6% bf so the orthopedic surgeon said this weight is actually hurting my "case" although i have little body fat. Next week they are going to do a Epidural Cortisone injection into the L4-L5 area. Seems that this helps with the inflammation and can give amazing results. Has anyone had this done yet? My DDD is so advanced that the Doc only gives me 2 or 3 years remaining for bbing (which is extremely depressing) until I have to have spinal fusion.....

Glad you started this thread. I have tried Chiros with no results, but my case is very advanced.

Mike

Hey Bro,
I also had an MRI 3 weeks ago which showed major DDD at L4-L5. I have had sensations and numb spots in my legs for at least 5 years now and over the past year my neuro-sensations and lower back pain have increased. I have now weight 276 at 6% bf so the orthopedic surgeon said this weight is actually hurting my "case" although i have little body fat. Next week they are going to do a Epidural Cortisone injection into the L4-L5 area. Seems that this helps with the inflammation and can give amazing results. Has anyone had this done yet? My DDD is so advanced that the Doc only gives me 2 or 3 years remaining for bbing (which is extremely depressing) until I have to have spinal fusion.....

Glad you started this thread. I have tried Chiros with no results, but my case is very advanced.

Mike

Sorry to hear that friend. No my ortho did not offer spinal inj. as an option. he believes that with the proper core training I should be ok. He kept commending me that i came in when i did. Had i come in later it would be extremely worse. He also said that surgery isnt even in the near future, at least not yet.

Im on celebrex 400mg/day. Pain level at a 1....so its not that bad(even without the Celebrex....hell, the Celebrex may not even be doing anything biut i take it anyways)

Good luck to you!!

My back had been killing me for a few months. I went and had an MRI done 4 weeks ago. I have DDD. No cushion between one of my lumbars. Since i stopped working out (lost 25 lbs) the pain has gone. Im back in the gym now, going on two weeks, to build a better core. I rarely ever did abs or deads in fear of injuring myself. HAd i done deads and other core building excercises I believe that my disk would not be that of a 70 yr old.

Mostly Ive changed up my leg routine....hex bar deads(seems more comfortable and natural too), leg press, ext., ham curls. Also doing abs and back extensions. I stretch for 20 minutes in the morning and evening.

Can anyone chime in that has a similiar problem? I would like to hear some feed back on training arouns this.

I was diagnose with angylosing spondalitis (sp) myself which is a degeneration of the spine. My doctor put me on Enbrel. The stuff is a miracle drug. I notice a big difference when I'm off it. I'm waiting to get my insurance back to go back on it. You should ask your DR. about it.

I don't do squats anymore, just heavy leg presses, and rows and lat pull downs for my back. I wouldn't recommend dead lifts. I've seen people end up with hernias and herniated disks from them. I would avoid them and squats-there are other safer alternatives.

I have......

Hey Bro,

Mike

I had the injection you are speaking of. I am at this point totally pain free. I have been off from the gym for a month. My discs weren't degenerative though. They were just bulging. So they shot helped reduce the pain, and inflamation. As far as curing it, nothing ever will cure it.

After only two years of bodybuilding, I also have a degenerated disk. The doctor said I have the back of a 60 year old heavy manual laborer (I'm a 40 yo programmer).

It hurt like hell for a few days. Doc gave me a package of painkillers and the next day I'd eaten half of them and it still hurt. He couldn't believe it.

I bought a Lamar leg press to do calf raises and leg presses. And I do stand up rows instead of shrugs.

disc help

I myself have a slight rupture on disc, Dr. advised no more squats, deadlifts, not to increase my upper body mass anymore. I have been using Louie Simmons reverse hyper with much success. If your local gym doesnt have one, they now offer a home unit for sale @ Westside barbell. I now only use pain meds if I stand for long periods of time. Thanks Louie for your innovation.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws