over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

training with torn meniscus?

sam salters

Registered
Okay well I am pretty sure I have a mild tear in my meniscus in my knee based off my symptoms and my doc agrees with me, I am getting an MRI this week to know for sure. For those who have torn their meniscus how did it affect your training? I am on HGH so hopefully that will help in recovery and I am going to get a nice brace for it as well. Any suggestions from people with past experience? I don't think it's a full tear as there is pretty much no pain but my knee pops when extending it from being bent (around 90*) and it feels weaker than before. My doc doesnt think I will need surgery but I was planning on starting a cycle in 2 weeks and was wondering how this would affect say my squats and deadlifts?

thanks,
sam

Does not sound meniscal sounds more acl or pcl and impossible to diagnose without mri but once you find out there are many exercises including physical therapies that can be performed again once proper diagnosis is made. Meniscal diagnosis would be more medial or lateral and popping is not usual. Get it properly diagnosed see if ya need surgery and go from there. Anything else is pure speculation at this point. Swelling? Not common in meniscal tear. Meniscal tears typically occur through blunt trauma to the tibia or fibula.GL I would be happy to help you once the MRI is done and read.

BTW PLEASE DEAL DIRECTLY WITH AN ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON. Also any closed chain exercises would be fine such as squats, LP, Hacks. NO leg extension or hams curl and this goes for any knee injury. Look up closed chain leg exercises for complete list. I rehab every day but you must know what you are dealing with first. Dont speculate you will drive yourself crazy. General practitioners and internists for the most part generally speaking are not qualified to deal with such matters.

Last edited:
Also any closed chain exercises would be fine such as squats, LP, Hacks. NO leg extension or hams curl and this goes for any knee injury. Look up closed chain leg exercises for complete list. I rehab every day but you must know what you are dealing with first. Dont speculate you will drive yourself crazy.

Thanks I know I am speculating myself crazy hoping it's nothing tooo bad. I talked to a friend who is a doc on the phone but will be seeing a local ortho this week and getting an MRI to know what the damage is for sure, I'm just worrying over this one. I will let you know once the diagnosis is once they take a look at it.

I haven't noticed any swelling, but then again I had not had any pain until I wrote this thread as I have been sitting at a desk with my leg at a 90* angle and it's starting to ache in my knee now.

Wrap with ice for 45 minutes at a time and elevate. How did this occur?
Thanks I know I am speculating myself crazy hoping it's nothing tooo bad. I talked to a friend who is a doc on the phone but will be seeing a local ortho this week and getting an MRI to know what the damage is for sure, I'm just worrying over this one. I will let you know once the diagnosis is once they take a look at it.

I haven't noticed any swelling, but then again I had not had any pain until I wrote this thread as I have been sitting at a desk with my leg at a 90* angle and it's starting to ache in my knee now.

Wrap with ice for 45 minutes at a time and elevate. How did this occur?

Thanks again strongrhino, in all honesty I have absolutely no clue. My left knee has felt a little week (like when walking up stairs) for a month or two and the popping started about 3 days ago. I worked out the day before but the only leg exercises was some lightweight high rep squats so I don't know if it's something that happened a while back and has just started progressively getting worse or what

Not meniscal unless you have some sort of degenerative arthritic issue or old sports injury. It is ligamentous. Sprain, strain, mild tear- MRI will tell. Meniscal (medial or lateral) is caused by blunt force trauma. Keep us posted Ill be happy to help ya out on exercise rehab recommendations and execution.

Not meniscal unless you have some sort of degenerative arthritic issue or old sports injury. It is ligamentous. Sprain, strain, mild tear- MRI will tell. Meniscal (medial or lateral) is caused by blunt force trauma. Keep us posted Ill be happy to help ya out on exercise rehab recommendations and execution.

Thanks, I am still fairly young and have no previous sports injuries that I know of besides a broken toe I did nothing about that still aches every now and then :rolleyes:. Thanks for the help I will keep it posted

Does not sound meniscal sounds more acl or pcl and impossible to diagnose without mri but once you find out there are many exercises including physical therapies that can be performed again once proper diagnosis is made. Meniscal diagnosis would be more medial or lateral and popping is not usual. Get it properly diagnosed see if ya need surgery and go from there. Anything else is pure speculation at this point. Swelling? Not common in meniscal tear. Meniscal tears typically occur through blunt trauma to the tibia or fibula.GL I would be happy to help you once the MRI is done and read.
Good call. I tore my meniscus and fractured my tibia below the knee from an impact/ hyper extension type injury. I worked for 3 days unloading tankers walking on slick stainless steel hauling heavy full lines over a shoulder.
Lots of twisting-lateral stress. Hurt like a bitch. A coworker asked what I had
in my sweats (knee) I dropped my pants and the guy about gagged. My knee looked like a purple and yellow volly ball.I ended up getting it repaired by an
orthopedic guy that did many Packers knees. healing time was quick and I started light squats a Few weeks later. knee is stiil great. Had this done in
96 or 97. Please heed Rhinos advice go to a top shelf ortho doctor not a GP
this is very important. Good luck T

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear