over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Traps

Nice post CG

What do you do on them? How many sets? reps? you start heavy or start moderate and go up? I'm trying to get some size on my traps too. BTW how long u been working w/ Alex? great guy!

Lean, I'm doing high reps. I take each set to absolute failure and get at least twenty five reps out of every set I do even if I have to rest-pause it. But remember as many have pointed out. Things like standing dumbbell laterals are all part of the equation as well as deads and on and on. The point of my post was just to share something for a few of the guys that don't have it all figured out.
Heavy just isn't an option for me any more. At fifty years of age I'm trying to get it done without popping rivets loose :)
When I was doing HIT I moved much, much more weight but had a series of injuries that turned it into two steps forward and one step back. Tering my left bi was the coopdagra. Now I do slin during my training and prime my system with a bunch of good stuff before I train and continue to drink it during and after. I try to get super pumps out of every set. My reasoning is I'm sending the good stuff home doing this. It's kinda like four sets of FST-25 with none of the heavy stuff first. I also do DC stretches, I think he is onto something there:eek:

Alex is aces! I have been with him now for my second season and couldn't do it without him. Truth! He is exactly the "spoon feeding" style of trainer that I need. LOL......all kidding aside, he is just a good fit for my program. Having a good relationship and communication with your trainer is key. There are all kinds of trainers and all kinds of trainees. Find the person that works best with you.

Good luck with your training!
CG

Last edited:
great idea bro, they are called hise shrugs i believe, i always do them in the smith machine rack, set about 495 on my traps and lift just my traps up and down while my hands are at my side or lightly resting on the bar. isolates the hell out of your traps don't they...LOL :lightbulb:

Good stuff! I've never even thought about using the smith. I've always just done them with a regular bar in a squat rack. I'm going to try the smith tommorow.

Try shrugging in a stand up calf machine. For the guys that didn't know about this exercise it's really isolated and hard to cheat. With hands on hips just make sure to stand with you heels on the cross bar instead of toes and keep your legs stiff with a little bend. This will help prevent putting a negative reverse load on your knees.
This was a fresh change for me that started my traps going to a new level.

Hope this works as well for you guys as it has me!

CG

great idea bro, they are called hise shrugs i believe, i always do them in the smith machine rack, set about 495 on my traps and lift just my traps up and down while my hands are at my side or lightly resting on the bar. isolates the hell out of your traps don't they...LOL :lightbulb:

two good ideas.
thanks.

thx cg

thanks for the info, i am looking forward to trying this, never thought of it before. thanks again.

I used this regularly for while maybe 10 years ago, since then only occasionally. I remember the thin strands of blood under the skin from the pressure. :D

One great trap movement is single arm low-pulley shrugs. You get a much longer range of motion plus you can go heavier than with dumbells. Only problem sometimes is finding something to hold onto with your other hand for stability.

I use the smith machine as well. I do the front shrugs first and follow with a set of rear shrugs. I consider this one set! Works great! If by chance the smith is tied up I will use the squat rack (cage) and press or pull the bar into the cage part which can act like a smith! This helps with your form!

Lean, I'm doing high reps. I take each set to absolute failure and get at least twenty five reps out of every set I do even if I have to rest-pause it. But remember as many have pointed out. Things like standing dumbbell laterals are all part of the equation as well as deads and on and on. The point of my post was just to share something for a few of the guys that don't have it all figured out.
Heavy just isn't an option for me any more. At fifty years of age I'm trying to get it done without popping rivets loose :)
When I was doing HIT I moved much, much more weight but had a series of injuries that turned it into two steps forward and one step back. Tering my left bi was the coopdagra. Now I do slin during my training and prime my system with a bunch of good stuff before I train and continue to drink it during and after. I try to get super pumps out of every set. My reasoning is I'm sending the good stuff home doing this. It's kinda like four sets of FST-25 with none of the heavy stuff first. I also do DC stretches, I think he is onto something there:eek:

Alex is aces! I have been with him now for my second season and couldn't do it without him. Truth! He is exactly the "spoon feeding" style of trainer that I need. LOL......all kidding aside, he is just a good fit for my program. Having a good relationship and communication with your trainer is key. There are all kinds of trainers and all kinds of trainees. Find the person that works best with you.

Good luck with your training!
CG
i hear u about 2 steps forwrd, one back.... unfortunately.. Thanks for the trap tips - I'm working on it, man. the DC stuff is great - I haven't done those in over a year,

Thanks

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828