over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Traps

concreteguy

Verified Customer
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Try shrugging in a stand up calf machine. For the guys that didn't know about this exercise it's really isolated and hard to cheat. With hands on hips just make sure to stand with you heels on the cross bar instead of toes and keep your legs stiff with a little bend. This will help prevent putting a negative reverse load on your knees.
This was a fresh change for me that started my traps going to a new level.

Hope this works as well for you guys as it has me!

CG

I've done this before. Once, I got sloppy on form, and pinched a nerve in my neck.

Try shrugging in a stand up calf machine. For the guys that didn't know about this exercise it's really isolated and hard to cheat. With hands on hips just make sure to stand with you heels on the cross bar instead of toes and keep your legs stiff with a little bend. This will help prevent putting a negative reverse load on your knees.

CG
I've also done these in my hipsled / leg press machine. They feel really good. I do need to try it with a little bend in my knees as I was keeping my legs stiff

I've been doing these since about 1995. I like doing these to pre-exaust the traps before going to db shrugs or Hammer Strength Machine Shrugs. I have tried them a million different ways and prefer lowering the shoulder pad height all the way down. I then put my feet flat on the flloor with my toes positioned UNDER the toe platform.

One of the things I've learned over the years (all five of them haha) is that we really are all different. I've read about people who ditch the deadlift (training it indirectly with other lifts) to build a bigger deadlift. For me, all this does is make my DL numbers go D O W N.

However, for me, the shrug is a lift that, if I don't do the lift, my shrug strength goes up. If I throw it back into my program, the weight will feel a little bit heavier every week (I'm overtraining the lift, as I am also doing heavy as shit deadlifts, cleans, rows and weighted chins). Then again, I'm more of a power shrugger than a "feel the weight" type of shrugger.

deadlifts are enough for me...now I just wish my shoulders would catch up with my traps :banghead:

I don't think I could have built what traps I have from doing just deads. This pics is from last summer. Alex and I are working on making them bigger along with everything else. IMO there should be some kind of isolated trap work. At least when it comes to me and my genetics.
I'm not saying to hang your hat on this exercise. It's just a nice change up :)
Hope it can help you too!
CG

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,678
your traps are much more proportionate to your delts than mine are. IMO I like to grow evenly (upper/lower traps/delts bi's/tri's, etc). If one group is growing too fast Im certainly not gonna try to isolate them further.

yaknow whatta mean?

Awesome, thanks for the tip CG

Those are called hiss shrugs, good exercises, also tri over head shrugs, the are humbling but are great for your traps and shoulder health believe it or not.

WHen I had my accident I coudnt hold anything so when I wanted to hi traps I did them in the standing calve raise it worked very well. I also had to do curls on the leg curl....I found many ways to work muscles in weird ways, lol. Where theres a will theres a way.

I see, I see. Looking good dude. You have shoulders and arms as well, keep kicking ass, and thanks for sharing.

Pic from 3 years ago... These are mine and I've never done shrugs in my life. It's either the heavy deadlifts I do every week which I think it is, since if I ever skip a deadlift workout and do it the following week my traps always end up sore, or chock it up to genetics as my back grows easily and is very strong(max deadlifting 520lbs back when I was 18). So my added advice is to try more deadlifting and also try side lateral dumbbell raises which I used to do once a week with my shoulder workout, they also hit the traps very well.

Attachments

• phpaQZ2ecPM.jpg
    phpaQZ2ecPM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 764
Pic from 3 years ago... These are mine and I've never done shrugs in my life. It's either the heavy deadlifts I do every week which I think it is, since if I ever skip a deadlift workout and do it the following week my traps always end up sore, or chock it up to genetics as my back grows easily and is very strong(max deadlifting 520lbs back when I was 18). So my added advice is to try more deadlifting and also try side lateral dumbbell raises which I used to do once a week with my shoulder workout, they also hit the traps very well.

Man, I wish I started lifting as early as you. I'm 27 and am just now pulling 500 . . dammit!

True that on the laterals as well. . along with bent laterals.

Cleans, power or hang, when trained as a progressive lift (getting stronger every month), will build some traps too.

Have you guys ever seen a dude with big traps and a skinny neck? Not a good look to have imo. I do neck harness and neck bridges.

As weird as this sounds, traps are probably my BEST bodypart haha

i seriously can do maybe 3 sets of traps a week and they NOTICEABLY get larger and my neck get thicker. it is obvious. i seriously have to concentrate on NOT doing shrugs when im ON CYCLE due to the fact they grow like fucking weeds.

when im ON, my legs and traps go nuts

CG

Nice post CG

What do you do on them? How many sets? reps? you start heavy or start moderate and go up? I'm trying to get some size on my traps too. BTW how long u been working w/ Alex? great guy!

your always training bad ass john.. thick and looking lean a hell bro!

P.S thanks Mike.. i try to be bro.. lol... boy i tell you man.. if i didnt have my kids tugging at my heels , i would be contributing more on this forum... Thanks for all the support....

Mike you and John are both examples of guys that are getting better with age...

Im glad to have met you in person.. it was a hectic day at the show... I have not met John in person but have known him a while and hes a tough, hard working dude! also keeps in great shape year round..

He competed last season and was by far the leanest most ripped up guy on stage..

Last edited:
I don't think I could have built what traps I have from doing just deads. This pics is from last summer. Alex and I are working on making them bigger along with everything else. IMO there should be some kind of isolated trap work. At least when it comes to me and my genetics.
I'm not saying to hang your hat on this exercise. It's just a nice change up :)
Hope it can help you too!
CG
Damn impressive traps, concrete guy!!!!!

CG
great idea bro, they are called hise shrugs i believe, i always do them in the smith machine rack, set about 495 on my traps and lift just my traps up and down while my hands are at my side or lightly resting on the bar. isolates the hell out of your traps don't they...LOL :lightbulb:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws