over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Travel with food

GaJoe

IFBB PRO
IFBB PROS
Looking to do quite a bit of weekend traveling and also traveling to compete this year. I was wondering how you guys traveled with food. I've heard of some putting their meals in the vaccuum sealed bags and putting that in a checked bag. Can you take food through airport security? I know liquids are regulated. I've heard security has stopped some and made them throw it out. I don't want to get caught without food esp. since I'm dieting.

For liquids you could just take the powders and mix them once you need them.

I don't know about chicken and everything else....I've been wondering the same thing. Especially what if one is going to travel outside of their country (like from US to Europe).

You can travel with most things in your check-in baggage.

You can travel with most things in your check-in baggage.

This has been my experience, but I've also walked through security with Tupperware meals in my carry on. Actually after a show on a flight back I think I sent a cheesecake from my mom through the xray lol. I'm not sure what the official rule is but I'm pretty positive you won't have an issue unless something has changed. Also, American Bagel Co has microwaves if you don't mind a bunch of strange looks haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if it's an international flight, they may give you trouble for bottles of liquids that are not sealed and they may throw away uncooked meat or veggies and leaves that could bring fungus or other parasites that they don't have locally. Same thing with foods that can be offensive to religious beliefs or they think may be used to witchcraft (middle-eastern countries mostly). Best thing is to call the company and ask them. They'll know...

It would be all domestic US flights. Sometimes you can find a place in the airport if you know where it's at or it's at your flight gate.... But say if I fly from East coast to Dallas or Phoenix then I'm looking at 3-4 hrs...too long to go w/out eating.

I'm sure all could go through the checked bags....I worry more with taking it through security. It looks like some people have had luck going right through so I'll try it.

It would be all domestic US flights. Sometimes you can find a place in the airport if you know where it's at or it's at your flight gate.... But say if I fly from East coast to Dallas or Phoenix then I'm looking at 3-4 hrs...too long to go w/out eating.

I'm sure all could go through the checked bags....I worry more with taking it through security. It looks like some people have had luck going right through so I'll try it.

I travel periodically from the West Coast to Hawaii and thats a 5-6 hour flight. I take 2 empty blender bottles. I put about a 100g of protein powder in individual zip loc bags. Mix one up with water about an hour into the flight and then mix the other a few hours later. Some might say just throw the powder in the blender bottle but due to its size if there was powder in there already TSA might have an issue with it even though its not per se a liquid. Other than the 200g of protein I ingest on the flight I might carry a small bag of nuts as well. I don't worry so much about carbs when traveling. Just getting in my proteins and good fats.

I don't take much food with me on flight. And only cooked food. I've been stoped once in international flight with the uncooked meal and i have had to throw it away. So now I take only necessary quantity of cooked meal for the flight period.

Mentioned protein powder is good idea. Thanks for idea.

Jamie and I fly with food several times per year. We grill chicken breasts and freeze them. Same with ground beef and rice. We even carry jars of peanut butter like this. The food goes into big zip lock bags and is packed into a soft cooler bag that we use as a carry-on (no way I would risk losing food when traveling to a competition). We have never had the slightest issue doing this.

Last edited:
I traveled to the Arnold last year, and just ate fast food the whole time. It was a nice change from my diet.

Yep just freeZe all the food cooked and then into a soft cooler and no issues. Has to be rock hard

Well, if it's an international flight, they may give you trouble for bottles of liquids that are not sealed and they may throw away uncooked meat or veggies and leaves that could bring fungus or other parasites that they don't have locally. Same thing with foods that can be offensive to religious beliefs or they think may be used to witchcraft (middle-eastern countries mostly). Best thing is to call the company and ask them. They'll know...

Or you could call the airlines and ask before you risk losing your food....

chicken breast and cut wheels of sweet potato in ziplock and protien powder all the time no issues ever.

Do you guys eat chicken breast and everything during the flight? If so, do you get any weird looks?

If you're competing I understand, but if not why bother? Don't take yourself so seriously. Enjoy local food from your travel destination.. Enjoy yourself a little bit. There's more to life than broccoli and chicken breast. :)

I have several food sensitivities and I never bring food with me. It's really not that hard to order healthy food from anywhere.

When I travel to Europe from the US I do the same as Flex and Jamie. I freeze chicken, turkey put it in a soft cooler and I eat it as it defrosts. I have no troubles. Only one time while going through Germany they made me throw out a jar of PB not sure why I was in a rush and didnt care. I put powders in ziplocs and made then with the water from on the plane.

When I travel to Europe from the US I do the same as Flex and Jamie. I freeze chicken, turkey put it in a soft cooler and I eat it as it defrosts. I have no troubles. Only one time while going through Germany they made me throw out a jar of PB not sure why I was in a rush and didnt care. I put powders in ziplocs and made then with the water from on the plane.

Just curious, what type of work do you have that requires so much travel overseas? And, other than the flight, how do you manage your meals? I am a consultant, and whenever I travel overseas my schedule is do packed with meetings, I am desperate to get any good at all.

If you're competing I understand, but if not why bother? Don't take yourself so seriously. Enjoy local food from your travel destination.. Enjoy yourself a little bit. There's more to life than broccoli and chicken breast. :)

Normally I don't worry about it at all and enjoy eating some new stuff but this time I am prepping and that just adds aggrivation to an already suffering state of mind.

I'll try to eat food before getting on the plane and just have a shake on the flight to prevent innocent passengers from the dreadful first whiff of chicken when you pop the top on that container...

I give them the weird looks back!

Never thought of that option. Giving weird looks back is added to my options now. :)

I have several food sensitivities and I never bring food with me. It's really not that hard to order healthy food from anywhere.

I'm not going to lie...I would do it right now so I don't have to do an hour of cardio. Plus it would be kind of cool to be like Shelby and after a while end up having very little to no cravings for junk food or fatty fat food (source from one of his videos).

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members