advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Trouble finding a job, really just need advice on ONE question.....

Papa Van Smack

Verified Customer
Registered
Okay, so last August I got fired. Not laid-off, cut back, resigned.......no, straight up fired. FOR? Making some statements via text message to my recently broke up w/ GF via text message that some harm my come to my replacement, a strapping lad of a different race who also worked at our company.

So.......what do I put on my job applications in regards to this company? I still have friends there in higher positions than mine. DO I put THEM down as my most recent boss, and say I got laid off? They will confirm it......but is that how it works? Or would a prospective employer call the HR department.....who fired me?

I've been applying for months, for all different industries, I've lied about it, told the truth about it, have not had any offers at all and I'm just not sure how exactly I should be addressing this black mark on my resume.

Thanks for any advices.

Last edited:
Hey man,

In new york, your past employer cant something negative about u to a possible employer. My hr dept will just confirm dates of employment and if theyre asked what happened, they just say they can only confirm dates and title the employee held.

Good luck bro, guy at my firm lost a six figure salary cause he made sexual comments on instant message.

Hey man,

In new york, your past employer cant something negative about u to a possible employer. My hr dept will just confirm dates of employment and if theyre asked what happened, they just say they can only confirm dates and title the employee held.

This is true in Illinois as well, but I have heard some bad stories about it. Things like

"Well, by law I am not allowed to tell you the reason I fired this employee for severe misconduct, so I will only verify dates"

Rare, but it could happen. The new business most likely wont report it because they will take it as a favor.

Honestly though, name your friends as boss, give a direct number, and you should be good. Even if not, there is a 99% chance your previous boss will do the right thing.

This is true in Illinois as well, but I have heard some bad stories about it. Things like

"Well, by law I am not allowed to tell you the reason I fired this employee for severe misconduct, so I will only verify dates"

Rare, but it could happen. The new business most likely wont report it because they will take it as a favor.

Honestly though, name your friends as boss, give a direct number, and you should be good. Even if not, there is a 99% chance your previous boss will do the right thing.

also the same in california

your old boss is legaly not allowed to give out any information regarding why or how you left the company

Okay, some application ask if I've ever been fired, or "reason for leaving" each company on me resume. I'd been there for 5 years, so I haven't been Mr. Fly by Night.......

Any ideas of what to put for that?

Okay, some application ask if I've ever been fired, or "reason for leaving" each company on me resume. I'd been there for 5 years, so I haven't been Mr. Fly by Night.......

you could put down personality conflict and explain that rather than have things get ugly in the workplace you decided to remove yourself from the situation.

Hey papa,

Hit me up on monday if u don't get the answr u need by then. I will ask my hr person anything u want.

also the same in california

your old boss is legaly not allowed to give out any information regarding why or how you left the company
I agree, but that doesn't mean they can't "meet off the record." Also proving that an employer said something negative to another prospective employer is hard to prove, let alone prove in court.

It's all going to be "he said, she said" bullshit. Best bet, is use your contacts at your previous company, and just do as you listed.

What's the worst to lose? You're already unemployed.

you could put down personality conflict and explain that rather than have things get ugly in the workplace you decided to remove yourself from the situation.

:yeahthat: nice way of putting it Tom. Your next HR person will most likely call the person you put down as your old boss. Unless you are applying to be a rocket scientist they probably won't call HR. They will simply ask the person that knew you best. That would be the person you list as your old boss. (friends) You can also use your good friends there as personal references and that should boost up your application some. Good luck brother.

I can HELP

I can help you with this question, I help people find jobs for a living. If they are trusted friends, then use them as references...make sure you let them know your plan ahead of time. You can say you were laid off due to the economic reasons/downsizing, very common these days.

I always check references and I usually never speak to HR, most companies will NOT allow HR to get into the specifics as to why you left the company.

If you have more questions, send me a PM and I can gladly answer your questions. Good Luck.

Do NOT put personality conflict...some potential employers view that as a red flag. Do not tell them you were fired or even discuss your situation. Believe it or not, your situation is not unique.

Reason for leaving- Laid off due to lack of work or downsizing.

IF you put a past employer who either Fired you or you quite without notice/didn't finish out your final two weeks...I would not put them down as a reference/Job history...WHY?
The past employer can say if asked: "They are not eligible for rehire"
Despite what the above has said, most all employers ask if they (past employer) would hire you back !!!
To your new perspective employer that is one huge red flag.
Don't take the advice of LYING.. If caught in a lie...you'll just seal your fate with that perspective employer no matter how qualified you are. Very bad advice.

Last edited:
I do ask refs if they had the opportunity, would they rehire the candidate. Most of the time, managers will tell me yes, but there are occassional refs that tell me they would not rehire a former employee.

I am not trying to come off as a know it all....but never bad mouth a former employer or employees, it makes you look bad......you probably know this, hope this helps.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It was always a "great experience" and I "matured both personally and professionally w/ that company, I wouldn't be prepared for this opportunity w/o them"..........

I know the game.......Just dont' know why no one is calling. Oh well, keep grinding it out I suppose.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It was always a "great experience" and I "matured both personally and professionally w/ that company, I wouldn't be prepared for this opportunity w/o them"..........

I know the game.......Just dont' know why no one is calling. Oh well, keep grinding it out I suppose.

Just when you think your not going to get a job ever, that's when you will get one. Hang in there buddy.

Hang in there mate, good things comes to those who wait, trust me on that one!

Hey man,

This is what I was limited to with being in a mgt position in the past. MM

The past employer can say if asked: "They are not eligible for rehire"

this. they may not be allowed by law to get into the 'why' but they can tell a prospective employer if you are eligable for rehire. And most employers look at that as a bad thing if you are not welcome back somewhere.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws