over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Truck guys get in here.(Ram or f-150) 10 years

Alexender

Registered
Ok guys. Im looking at getting an used Pick up truck.

Since im on a budget im looking at 2 Models speciality.

1. F-150 2011 too 2014 with the cyclone v6 3.7, 6 speed transmission.

2. Ram 1500 2013 too 2015 with the v6 3.6 pentastar, 8 speed transmission.

Again i cant get a v8, here gaz price are creeping up and i need to select between those 2 models.

Which one would you get?

Im leaning toward the RAM with the pentastar v6 with the 8 speed transmission.

I plan on keeping the truck for 10 years.

Not a big truck guy but I do know that the Dodge has had a lot of issues with transmissions. So unless you want to drop a couple of grand to rebuild one, I would go with the Ford.

If you want a 1/2 ton pickup w a v6 I know it’s not on your list but I’d go with a gmc or Chevy.

One of my best friends brothers has been a Dodge mechanic for 30+ years........he told his entire family that if they ever by a Dodge he wouldn't do work on them...........

I don't own one so have no direct experience........I'm a Chevy guy.

Born and raised on Ford pickups, so my answer is Ford.

Although for my needs and what I do with them I always have f350s with diesel. Currently 3 of them in the driveway:D

But bottum line, brand loyalty aside, they all run good when they are running and they all break down no matter which brand is on the grille.

In your case I would go test drive both and see what one you are most comfortable in.

If you plan on keeping a used truck for another 10 years I suggest a toyota

If you plan on keeping a used truck for another 10 years I suggest a toyota

Agree here, had a 2005 tundra that had over 400k miles before we sold it, still ran like it was new

The only thing I would say here is stay away from turbocharged engines. Unless your building s race car or have a diesel. I know a ford engine mechanic that works at a dealership here where I live. I see he once a week and he has told me since ford has switched to these eco boost engines he’s gotten more work then he can handle. Which is good for him because he makes money by how much work he puts in, but it’s not good for people buying these.

Stick to a naturally aspirated engine. The eco boost especially the 4 cylinders are apparently running too much boost and warping heads like crazy. No bottom end problems I’ve heard of just top end.

A lot the ford these days are also having many electrical issues from what I’ve been told as well. I’m not biased because there beautiful trucks but take it for what you will. Hopefully this will help you make the better decision

In reality the v6 gets the same mpg as the v8 even unloaded.

If you are going to tow or carry loads the v8 will get better mileage.

I say Ford. My company work truck is an f150 -2008 it's a service truck so all I do is drive all day long and all the company does well I do because I'm responsible for taking it to get it done. Since it's a take home truck. is an oil change every 5000 miles and they use the cheapest oil brand. The truck has 368,000 miles. No not a typo. The only thing they ever needed done and it was recently was repair the a/c other than that it runs perfectly fine. I don't work for them as of 3 weeks now but the truck is still rocking

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In reality the v6 gets the same mpg as the v8 even unloaded.

If you are going to tow or carry loads the v8 will get better mileage.

I see the same in sport sedans too. Like the Audi A6 with the twin supercharged V6 they use now, it has maybe 2mpg better fuel economy than the V8 that I had in mine and the V8 has less to go wrong.

The fuel economy standards set in the CAFE are just insane. Here is what was done under Obama:
"On July 29, 2011, President Obama announced an agreement with thirteen large automakers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by model year 2025. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

I guess we will all be driving clown cars.

Chevrolet :D

I live in NE Ohio...In 2008 I bought a brand new ram hemi...fast...strong...rust bucket!...all Dodge Rams over 8 years old have enormous amount of rust around the wheel wells and rocker panels...I traded it in on a new 2018 f150 2.7 twin turbo...the Ford is actually faster but it does not have the rumble of a hemi...also I got around 13 mpg in the ram...I am getting 20 mpg in the Ford...good luck...vehicles are always a crap shoot...

I have a 1995 Ford 150 with 300K miles. I had it for 13 years. It still runs strong. The engine is a 5.0 or 302. This is one of the best engines Ford ever made IMO.

I've owned a lot of trucks and I say get the one you like the best. They all have there pro's and cons. Find a nice used low miles truck that still has some warranty on it.

Each manufacturer has their quirks and issues my man..I currently own a 20 year old ram that has 228k on it, it runs like a top and would pull most every new gas engine truck around if hooked up bumper to bumper. I also have a 25 year old ford... both great trucks, each has their own strengths and weaknesses.
It all depends how u use them
If ur wheeling or carrying heavy loads, shit will wear out faster... especially front end...don’t matter who u buy.
Learn how to rebuild a front end and such urself.. it’s not really rocket science...just takes a “can do” attitude, and u can’t be afraid to get ur hands dirty or get them banged up.
Stay on top of oil changes and grease ball joints and tie rods and such, brake fluid flushes, change out antifreeze every few years and power steering fluid, trans fluid and filter... simply dump and change.. don’t do a power “flush” on an older transmission or you’ll run into problems later... it’s all pretty basic stuff and it’ll run and drive good for a long time

Each manufacturer has their quirks and issues my man..I currently own a 20 year old ram that has 228k on it, it runs like a top and would pull most every new gas engine truck around if hooked up bumper to bumper. I also have a 25 year old ford... both great trucks, each has their own strengths and weaknesses.
It all depends how u use them
If ur wheeling or carrying heavy loads, shit will wear out faster... especially front end...don’t matter who u buy.
Learn how to rebuild a front end and such urself.. it’s not really rocket science...just takes a “can do” attitude, and u can’t be afraid to get ur hands dirty or get them banged up.
Stay on top of oil changes and grease ball joints and tie rods and such, brake fluid flushes, change out antifreeze every few years and power steering fluid, trans fluid and filter... simply dump and change.. don’t do a power “flush” on an older transmission or you’ll run into problems later... it’s all pretty basic stuff and it’ll run and drive good for a long time

Nicely said. A bit of preventive maintenance along with some elbow grease goes a long ways.

And yes, I learned the hard way on not flush servicing an auto trans with some age on it. Was so happy to change all the fluid. Hopped in that pickup, fired it up, put it in drive and she just sat there laughing at me. There I was the next weekend installing a new transmission. Lol, good times.

Last edited:
And yes, I learned the hard way on not flush servicing an auto trans with some age on it. Was so happy to change all the fluid. Hopped in that pickup, fired it up, put it in drive and she just sat there laughing at me. There I was the next weekend installing a new transmission. Lol, good times.

What goes wrong when you do that? I never heard that before.

If you're just driving it around getting groceries, well that's one thing. If you're actually looking for which one is a better truck, the dodge is way better than the ford. I work in various oilfields and I have rented every brand and the availability will tell you something. Fords are the last ones you can rent. Dodge and the tundra are sometimes available. The Chevy Silverados are almost never available and yesterday I found out that they actually have a few GMC Sierra's, which I'm guessing are always sold out months ahead of time. I was out in a yard in ND a couple weeks ago and we were trying to bust through a three foot snow drift. I was stuck with the ford and no shot of making it while another guy had the dodge ram and busted through.

What goes wrong when you do that? I never heard that before.

In short, an aging transmission with some miles on it will have all kinds of debris in it from wearing internal parts of the tranny. That debris is typically collected on a magnet inside the pan to defer it from floating around. Flushing the system will loosen all of that debris up and send it back through the system raising hell on the transmission pump, tourque convertor and every other important internal part(s) such as gaskets and seals.

In my case, after it wouldn’t engage I hooked it up to my handy dandy diagnostic reader and I was getting zero line pressure. Which meant my tranny pump was done and most likely the tourque convertor as well. Now, I’m one of those guys that always upgrades to something better so I took the opportunity to happily install a built tranny since it was in a heavy duty diesel that already had all kinds of goodies put into the engine. My wife hates me and my “forced upgrades”... as I call them.

Anyhow, sorry OP. Good luck on your search for a truck.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws