over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Trying something New...

Hulkbulk8

Banned
I have always lifted in the 5-10 rep range and was always under the assumption that this was an ideal rep range for mass.

I was told by a guy that is much bigger than i that i should try the 12-20 rep range and see how i like it. he said make sure you go to failure.

So last night i tried this and it was Defiantly different feeling than doing 5-8 reps heavy. my muscles felt like they were much more harder and the pump was much more painful than when i lift heavy will lower reps.

Do any of you lift in this range? I am not too concerned about strength just want MASS.

I did some reading last night on higher reps and came accross this Kali Muscle guy saying this is how you get mass is the higher reps force more blood into the muscle while tearing muscle tissue....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHqC9t8lfgw"]STEROID USERS GET BIG USING HIGH REPS - YouTube[/ame]

let me know what you think about this.

on a side note i have another buddy who never goes above 225 on bench and reps it usually for like 13-17 and he does like 4 sets of this.
his chest looks much bigger than another buddy of mine that reps 365.

thanks

I think ALL rep ranges should be used. I will go anywhere from 15-20 reps, all the way down to doubles and singles. I find some exercises are better for heavy weights and others for higher reps.
But- I think that BOTH should be employed for a workout- they both have merit and I cant see why anyone would want to short-change themselves by sticking to primarily one over the other.

I think ALL rep ranges should be used. I will go anywhere from 15-20 reps, all the way down to doubles and singles. I find some exercises are better for heavy weights and others for higher reps.
But- I think that BOTH should be employed for a workout- they both have merit and I cant see why anyone would want to short-change themselves by sticking to primarily one over the other.

I agree with you that a variety of rep ranges should be used, however employing that can take different forms. One can have a day where they do heavy sets in a low range, then the next time, go high rep and a third day use a variety of angles and a mid of the road range. Another thing is to do like the P-RR-S system where you vary it by the week... or as you mentioned, use a variety in one session.

Some people like more variety in one session others don't..but as long as you are training with a variety of rep ranges, loads and levels of intensity within a program you will reap far greater benefits than just using say, 4 sets of 10.

Just my $0.02...

I'm gonna give that p-rr-s routine a go. Need a new routine anyway

I read about that power, rep range, shock workout.

This sounds like a much better idea than just doing 12-20 reps.

Thanks

I think the problem with people today in general is everyone wanting instant gratification. All of these rep schemes are great, but IMO the best way to make gains is pick one, kill it for a period of time (could be weeks, months), let yourself make a significant dent in terms of moving up in weight, and then switch off to another scheme as you feel you start to hit a wall and are having trouble continuing to make gains with that rep scheme. at the end of the day it's all about recruiting and frying as many muscle fibers as you can in a workout and allowing them time to repair and regrow bigger.

then on the other hand there are people who just naturally respond BETTER to certain types of rep schemes. i've seen guys who can get BB status on 5x5s, and other guys who do low to moderate weight in the 15-30 rep range. genetics DOES play into this if you ask me.

I use the 12-20 rep range. Started training like this about 3 years ago after hiring an ifbbpro to help with my training. Weights are heavy as I can go. I use A LOT of rest-stops to get my reps while still lifting heavy.

But I also incorporate low rep ranges in my workouts. For example if I do a challenge set (final set) I may do something like hit 4-6 reps then do a drop set then go and do partials until I'm in pain.

Time under tension is greater with higher reps.

You should also consider tempo in your pursue for mass. Incorporating some controlled slowed negatives increases time under tension exponentially. It's not always about the rep numbers….

I use the 12-20 rep range. Started training like this about 3 years ago after hiring an ifbbpro to help with my training. Weights are heavy as I can go. I use A LOT of rest-stops to get my reps while still lifting heavy.

But I also incorporate low rep ranges in my workouts. For example if I do a challenge set (final set) I may do something like hit 4-6 reps then do a drop set then go and do partials until I'm in pain.

Time under tension is greater with higher reps.

You should also consider tempo in your pursue for mass. Incorporating some controlled slowed negatives increases time under tension exponentially. It's not always about the rep numbers….

I follow this exact same protocol also prescribed by an IFBB Pro. Been at this routine for 5 weeks, and so far so good. Definitely hammered after leaving the gym.

Back in the 70's Mentzer argued HIT - Arnold was a volume guy.. 80's it seemed like HIT disappeared and it was high rep.. 90's Dorian brought HIT back to the spotlight...
Many different training systems work - as someone above said - you have to STICK with it and be patient...
BB has always had a certain "give me now" aspect - but it seems like today everyone wants a secret drug - peptide - hormone - training system - feeding schedule so they can figure out why they aren't getting gains. I am a huge believer in never stopping the persuit of improvement - but patience is usually the best answer. I have seen guys in the gym that are always chasing the next fad - year after year - and the only thing that doesn't change is their look.

I like anywhere from 8-15. Sometimes 20 plus on squats and shrugs. Sometimes down to 6 on power stuff like t bar rows. I just always train to failure, Eat well and take my super supps. The details of training don't matter that much to me so long add I kill it

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member