over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tuna + mercury

BULKING_N

Registered
Hey guys.. Sorry of this one was already discussed.. As much as I hate it, I often consume up to 4 tins of Bumble Bee tuna chunks a day just to get my protein requirements in a very convenient form . I was told on another forum that there was no factor regarding mercury accumulation in the body with i. Anyone care to discuss their opinion. Who else eats this much ( or more) to get their protein requirements? Thanks

The boost in protein intake with the 4x cans of tuna makes a real difference for me..But wanted to make sure I wasnt over doing the tuna thing

Last edited:
If you are worried about mercury, the nice albacore has the highest levels and the cheap stuff is the lowest. Ironic isn't it?

I have downed many a can of tuna over the years and the only thing I have noticed is I am now a human thermometer. I can tell the temp within 1º :D

I consume a fair amount of Vit C daily. Wont that help in preventing toxicity build up in the body too??? MG that cheap tuna flake makes me wanna throw up... I may be wrong but i was told the chunks caught off the Atlantic was better than eating the one caught in say Thailand or such :confused:

I, too, am interested in this. A friend of mine got mercury poisoning. Its a serious thing.

I consume a fair amount of Vit C daily. Wont that help in preventing toxicity build up in the body too??? MG that cheap tuna flake makes me wanna throw up... I may be wrong but i was told the chunks caught off the Atlantic was better than eating the one caught in say Thailand or such :confused:

Being a heavy metal, I am not sure how effective Vit C is but I do think if you can get tuna fished as far away from pollution as possible, that would certainly be good. Never seen recommendations on that though. With corporate mass food production the way it is now, not sure how realistic that is either.

bump

For the past 3 weeks I've been geting an average of 200 grams of protein from my tuna consumption. I've tried to find information on how much is too much but I have not found anything useful yet, if I do I'll post here.

would be intersting to hear about someone or friend of someone that has had problems with it...syptoms/signs (other than bloodtests) and the amounts...perhaps worth the time to do some studying.....might be along the same lines as eating eggs and how if you eat more than one yellow a day it's bad for you...

Lacto-fermented veggies do a good job of eliminating heavy metals because of good lactic-acid bacteria.. Exercise, low bodyfat levels, and sauna treatment are also beneficial..

On another reputed forum I been pretty much advised it was no factor... I been eating 4 tins a day which is approx 140 gms of protein there. Just like Hungarian, I been keen to know how much is too much lol

Yes, regarding removing toxins in the body, thats a good idea.. Not only for mercury but overall..

The brick, yes I had researched some before and said the atlantic tuna was a better choice, less toxicitycompared to the tuna that was canned in Thailand etc. Fish living in deeper waters are generally less prone to accumulating mercury in their tissue since the % has dissipated.. In the Caribbean, i buy the Brunswick brand and not the ones made in Asia..

Last edited:
I have heard a few cans a week but who knows.

I think there are far too many factors contributing to the high levels of mercury but if not for possible high mercury levels why not swap the tuna out for something else for a little diversity?

I used to eat at least 2 cans a day, and I did that for about 5 years or more. I never had an issue with mercury. I dont eat it much now.

A lot of it has to do with genetics. Many people become toxic because their body cannot get rid of mercury in the normal manner and instead it builds up in their system. If you are concerned about your mercury levels, I believe the tests are pretty inexpensive; I forget whether it is blood or hair sample.

Very nice reply ... Thanks for that...

Enjoy that clip on selenium. Love shitake mushrooms

So the overall conclusion Im deriving from that medical article is that the Se which is rich in tuna can negate the ill effects of the Hg?

Last edited:
Bumping this one

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member