over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Twice a day training

sinfulimages

Registered
I searched for this a bit yesterday on here and again this morning and didnt turn up anything specific. I try not to post on here unless its relevant or I am 100% knowledgeable on a topic. But I need some help.

I have been doing a hybrid style training at night. A compound lift and then one isolation or oly lift. Then crossfit to finish my workout (dont flame me for crossfit. I love the challenge and I lost a lot of body fat because of it.)

I now have a chance to train morning and night. I am thinking more isolation shit in the morning, and compound heavy lifts at night and then crossfit. My diet is pretty solid and my supplements are taken care of for the next 12-15 weeks.

My question is has anyone done anything like this. Is there any advice you guys can give. I am wanting to do a tough mudder in November. So I need to maintain my cardio. With that being said I have lost some of my size and I want it back lol.

I started training twice a day back in Dec and I have lost 37lbs as of this morning. Losing some size in inevitable but who cares as long as your healthy and happy and your losing in the areas that were a problem. I lost .5" off my arms and 6" off my waist so I'll take that anyday. I'm also just as strong @ 219 then I was @ 256. Strength dropped @ 1st but came back. I do am cardio and pm weights about 8-9 hrs later after work and if I feel really good I throw in 15-20 more min low intensity cardio post workout. Also training twice a day i hope your using at least 200mg/wk of Test and taking bcaas or your really gonna tap into eating your muscles. Hope this helps

I started training twice a day back in Dec and I have lost 37lbs as of this morning. Losing some size in inevitable but who cares as long as your healthy and happy and your losing in the areas that were a problem. I lost .5" off my arms and 6" off my waist so I'll take that anyday. I'm also just as strong @ 219 then I was @ 256. Strength dropped @ 1st but came back. I do am cardio and pm weights about 8-9 hrs later after work and if I feel really good I throw in 15-20 more min low intensity cardio post workout. Also training twice a day i hope your using at least 200mg/wk of Test and taking bcaas or your really gonna tap into eating your muscles. Hope this helps

LOL u serious? So you tap into muscles because a human being trains twice a day?

I "exercise" 3x a day.

Morning cardio, then a bodypart during lunch break, and a body part at night.

I am putting on lots of muscle and burning off lots of fat at a very fast pace.

Bottom line is....training twice a day will only FURTHER your gains, as each and every time you weight train, you raise your metabolic rate and protein synthesis. As long as you are feeding yourself well, ANYONE can train twice a day and GAIN muscle, NOT lose it.

The supplementing is good to go for the next 12-15 weeks ;)

The bcaa's I will need to get. I will likely end up taking LBA from truenutrition

as long as your not overtraining muscle groups,you should be ok. overtraining will cause you to become catabolic.

Just depends on how ruthless your workouts are..... Your diet and supplements also would be key at success... Cardio/weight training split.... I wouldn't even consider as being two workouts in one day

Training twice a day is good, but if i were you i would try to stick to more of a routine like jimmyjones mentioned. By doing cardio in one session then completely separate body parts in the other 2 it keeps him from hitting the same muscle group. If you are doing isolated movements in the AM, then compound in the evening, plus cross fit... i don't see how you are going to avoid hitting the same body part in the same day. You will drop bf quickly thats for sure...

I dont consider cardio a work out. The metcon shit that we do in CrossFit is more than just an elliptical. All the shit involves weights.

That's not the point. The point was that I am actually going to be lifting twice a day. Like this morning I did shoulders and tonight we train legs. Tomorrow is a rest day. Friday is going to be drilling an olympic lift in the morning for a while and then shoulders again Friday night. No isolation movements at night. Just compound and heavy. Where my morning shit is primarily isolation exercises and some strength and skill work.

I don't think anybody can really tell you whether or not it'll work for you. Only you can be the judge of that. If you're dialed in nutritionally plus drug wise, it could most definitely work. If you notice yourself unable to recover and be fresh for workouts, and you notice signs of overtraining, you have your answer.

Ronnie trained massive poundages, 6 days a week or something, twice a day and the dude was a giant. But that doesn't mean we can do what Ronnie does now does it :cool:

If you trained shoulders today and are going to hit them again on Friday that is not near enough rest. The least amount of rest I have ever trained on was 5 days an d that was only for short periods of time. For me 6 days minimum rest is ok. I usually go 7 just because it makes scheduling easier. It can be a little different for everyone depending on intensity, goals and genetics but 2 days doesn't seem like near enough rest regardless.

Training twice per day is fine if you train, let's say - back in the morning and calves in the evening.

But Back in the morning and legs in the evening is a whole different ball game... it's best to get a good night's sleep between super intense workouts.

For me its such a fine line between over training. I think workout intensity and proper recovery are more important then frequency. I'm always an early morning guy. If I'm using a pm split its only for bis, tri's Calves. Abs and cardio. Anything more and it just becomes to much. Not only does my pm workout suffer but also my training the next morning. I would rather have one killer workout. Training like this should prob be cycled also

you should check out some of Steve Kuclo's old videos on MD.com

I'm pretty sure it was for his prep when he won his pro card that he was doing training twice a day...and very little cardio too...

like arms in the AM and shoulders in PM

Back am.....Chest pm

I remember him saying he was taking in quite a lot more food in order to be able to handle this insane schedule (especially him being a fire fighter).

If u're trainning twice a day, likely your intensity is low.

Try trainning shelby style or DC and u're find it very hard to train twice daily.

I do something similar to JJ and love it...... train on my lunch break then after work.....i'll do abs or a small bodypart early then a larger workout later...i'd much rather split a workout then train for 1.5-2 hours straight....

I searched for this a bit yesterday on here and again this morning and didnt turn up anything specific. I try not to post on here unless its relevant or I am 100% knowledgeable on a topic. But I need some help.

I have been doing a hybrid style training at night. A compound lift and then one isolation or oly lift. Then crossfit to finish my workout (dont flame me for crossfit. I love the challenge and I lost a lot of body fat because of it.)

I now have a chance to train morning and night. I am thinking more isolation shit in the morning, and compound heavy lifts at night and then crossfit. My diet is pretty solid and my supplements are taken care of for the next 12-15 weeks.

My question is has anyone done anything like this. Is there any advice you guys can give. I am wanting to do a tough mudder in November. So I need to maintain my cardio. With that being said I have lost some of my size and I want it back lol.

You and I have very similar routines. I do single muscle group, isolation exercises in the morning along with cardio and do crossfit / HIIT at night. I also am a big fan of crossfit, I do it in my normal gym or at home where I have constructed a garage gym with olympic lifting platform and all.
I have been doing crossfit for about 6 years and lost a lot of bad weight and gained strength.
I was able to put on a lot of good size when I added in the morning workouts as only heavy, isolation type exercises. Since you like HIIT (Crossfit) try turning your isolation workouts into something closer to it. Pick 2 muscles to work + abs and never stop moving. Also adding Oly lifts during CF off days and sometimes inbetween isolation sets to keep the heart rate going is great for size as well.
Maybe a silly question considering where you are posting but are you on any gear? You didn't mention it.

Its all in the food, timing, choice of body parts, and rest.

Of course, I would never do Back/AM and then Legs/PM ...that would be silly...

Legs should always have their own day...But even then I split them up
Hams and calves AM....Squats and leg extensions and Abs in the PM

What I sure as hell do is....Cardio as soon as I wake.....Chest/AM and Back/PM .....

Each session of work is roughly 40 minutes.....

There is lots of recuperation time in between each session of work....

As long as Im well fed...I can truly kill both weight training sessions...but of course I will always take the next day off entirely from the gym....except for morning cardio.

Just listen to your body homie. Listening is key.

I was doing a morning/evening weights split, didnt like it but I didnt set it up right.

Right now I do morning cardio with things like calves or abs and later in afternoon I do the "major" muscle groups.

I've been considering the split again but 2-3 times.
My thoughts are:
Morning cardio, fasted only, if needed.
Lunch time workout of weights but following my split.
6pm workout of the secondary muscle group

My split is a chest/delts/tris, back/bis/rear delts/traps., legs/lowerback/calves. I hit everything twice per week but once is heavy and secondary workout is higher rep, super/drop sets type work. Its been treating me well and I've been able to increase cals around 250 per day and grow while staying a bit leaner.

An example would be lunch time chest and come back 5-6 hours later and finish off with delts/upper traps/tris. Similiar with back day.

Only issue I have is I dont like splitting quads and hams up. I squat better when I can start with hamstrings. I got lower back issues and the blood flow I can get into my legs from keeping hams and quads together helps me lot. However I realized not to long ago I was not hitting calves hard enough so I would like to split them up and attack them with 10-15 sets twice per week.

I dont know what I was thinking that 3-4 sets of calf work 2-3 times a week was enough when for biceps I do much more then this. Breaking calves out on their own at lunch would help me a lot I think.

This would also help me spend some time on my other weak area, traps. Giving them a few extra sets per workout.

And finally my son would be more willing to workout with me since my workouts would be much shorter he wouldnt need to wait around for me. lol :D

Diet wise I could still keep carbs in 2nd part of day, so post lunch WO and post evening WO.

Just me thinking out loud.

This year's prep... for 12 weeks my split was...

Mon: AM Light Back, PM Arms
Tues: PM Light Legs (nothing to failure)
Weds: PM Heavy Back
Thurs: AM Light Chest, PM Light Delts
Fri: PM Arms
Sat: Heavy Legs
Sun: Heavy Chest/ Shoulders

Did virtually zero cardio, gained strength, recovery was perfect, etc. At 4 weeks out the morning sessions were removed and small amount of AM cardio was started.

I was using a John Meadows training template which was a 7 day split. All I did was split the light Chest/ Shoulder day into AM/ PM.. Added an extra arm day as that is an area I needed to focus on. By adding the arm day, I had to place the light back on one of the mornings.

Going fwd, when I compete again... I will do the Exact same thing. It's unreal how I was able to gain size and strength, lean down all while doing no cardio. Of course having Shelby in my corner to handle nutrition didn't hurt! :cool:

More MUSCLE training = more growth IF you can support it with adequate recovery (sleep, food, PED's, etc). The CNS is easy to over-train. Muscles themselves are not.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws