over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

twice a day training

xjpx

Featured Member
Registered
so who at present likes to train twice a day in a dieting phase? for me in this last prep i really did favour twice a day work, training 3 days on 1 day off, i found adding energy expenditure from extra resistance sessions, saw a huge positive on my overall look ( fuller, bigger throughout prep)

so as weeks go by, instead of adding cardio on cardio, who has started at 4 weights sessions a week, upto 5 upto 6 , then to one day a week of twice a day, then 2 days a week twice a day..up until hitting 12 weights sessions week. i have never enjoyed a prep so much doing this, as i love to lift weights

I do... my last two preps were done this way. I worked up to 9 sessions. Last year, about 4 weeks out, the AM sessions were removed and paired with the PM sessions, and some light AM cardio was added. This year, no cardio and I trained this way up until the final week. In both preps Shelby handled my diet and JM (Mountain Dog) handled training. Although JM wasn’t aware I split up the workouts. It looked like this...

Mon: AM Light Back, PM Arms
Tues: PM Light Legs (nothing to failure)
Weds: AM Light Chest, PM Light Delts
Thurs: PM Heavy Back
Fri: Arms
Sat: Heavy Legs
Sun: Heavy Chest/ Delts

Using JM’s 7 day a week template… I didn’t add any volume. On Weds I just split up the Chest/ Delt session into two sessions. And with arms being my weak point, I added an additional arm day. Keep in mind, with JM, arm training is a lot about the pump so not a lot of stress on the joints.

In both training sessions I utilized intra workout shakes.

When my recovery is going ok and I know I can tolerate it I will do them.

I do... my last two preps were done this way. I worked up to 9 sessions. Last year, about 4 weeks out, the AM sessions were removed and paired with the PM sessions, and some light AM cardio was added. This year, no cardio and I trained this way up until the final week. In both preps Shelby handled my diet and JM (Mountain Dog) handled training. Although JM wasn’t aware I split up the workouts. It looked like this...

Using JM’s 7 day a week template… I didn’t add any volume. On Weds I just split up the Chest/ Delt session into two sessions. And with arms being my weak point, I added an additional arm day. Keep in mind, with JM, arm training is a lot about the pump so not a lot of stress on the joints.

v nice indeed... now on reflection on that prep would you further divide again and possibly split legs? did you find that extra energy expenditure via sessions that had intra wo carbs kept those muscles fuller?

When my recovery is going ok and I know I can tolerate it I will do them.

can you share how you set yours up? when you went to twice a day work did you keep daily calorie intake initially the same, and just rejig placement of cals to allow for two sessions, or take in extra cals to start?

v nice indeed... now on reflection on that prep would you further divide again and possibly split legs? did you find that extra energy expenditure via sessions that had intra wo carbs kept those muscles fuller?

Yes I maintained fullness for sure. Granted Slin+GH was used around both sessions. But Shelby is a mastermind with diet. He would have me check in every 3 days and if he thought I was getting flat or stringy looking (I’m a tall guy) he would add carbs. Going into the final week I was at 300/400/75 not including incidentals.

Next show I want to split legs on one of the sessions. JM’s heavy legs are killer so I will stick with that on Sat as normal but the 2nd leg session during the week, I want to hit hams in the AM and Quads PM

I never had any strength or endurance issues outside of the normal feeling at times from prep itself. I was actually getting stronger going into the last few weeks. Again, I contribute that to Shelby managing the diet.

can you share how you set yours up? when you went to twice a day work did you keep daily calorie intake initially the same, and just rejig placement of cals to allow for two sessions, or take in extra cals to start?

Right, more carbs around training less in between, same calories for the day.

What's funny is this is how arnold and the fellas approached their preps all those years back. Jordan my brother did this and as you saw on stage got ridiculously flat. So I think on this routine eating up is a must

Last edited:
so who at present likes to train twice a day in a dieting phase? for me in this last prep i really did favour twice a day work, training 3 days on 1 day off, i found adding energy expenditure from extra resistance sessions, saw a huge positive on my overall look ( fuller, bigger throughout prep)

so as weeks go by, instead of adding cardio on cardio, who has started at 4 weights sessions a week, upto 5 upto 6 , then to one day a week of twice a day, then 2 days a week twice a day..up until hitting 12 weights sessions week. i have never enjoyed a prep so much doing this, as i love to lift weights

How did you break down the am and PM sessions? How many sets and what not?

Yes I maintained fullness for sure. Granted Slin+GH was used around both sessions. But Shelby is a mastermind with diet. He would have me check in every 3 days and if he thought I was getting flat or stringy looking (I’m a tall guy) he would add carbs. Going into the final week I was at 300/400/75 not including incidentals.

Next show I want to split legs on one of the sessions. JM’s heavy legs are killer so I will stick with that on Sat as normal but the 2nd leg session during the week, I want to hit hams in the AM and Quads PM

I never had any strength or endurance issues outside of the normal feeling at times from prep itself. I was actually getting stronger going into the last few weeks. Again, I contribute that to Shelby managing the diet.

awesome insight here thanks for sharing buddy, this imo is great for people to learn from. indeed JMs heavy leg sessions are brutal, so from a cns/cortisol/adrenal perspective that day being left as a stand alone is wise, towards my end of prep when i was hitting peak lifts in log book, going back in to do hams in eve was v tough indeed

How did you break down the am and PM sessions? How many sets and what not?

i split mine

day 1 back am chest pm
day 2 quads am hams pm
day 3 delts am arms pm
day 4 hit sprints on bike am liss pm

as that went on i added liss to each am, and then to pre bed too. some extra hit was alternated with liss on days i thought lets go at this, but that imo was overkill on twice a day work and likely saw cortisol rise too high for my body to keep dropping fat

i split mine

day 1 back am chest pm
day 2 quads am hams pm
day 3 delts am arms pm
day 4 hit sprints on bike am liss pm

as that went on i added liss to each am, and then to pre bed too. some extra hit was alternated with liss on days i thought lets go at this, but that imo was overkill on twice a day work and likely saw cortisol rise too high for my body to keep dropping fat

Thanks for sharing. Would you repeat the split on day 5? Training 3 days in a a row, then cardio on day 4 and repeat? Were the sessions high or low volume?

How many hours did you space out am and pm workouts?

How does your trainingsplit looks like in off season?

Splitting it up during contest prep is the only way to go.

I do two a days in certain situations but you have to be careful
because it gets easy to overtrain especially while dieting.

In Offseason do You like train twice a day or one session a day but everyday? Or do You do it only pre contest?

I have only used it pre content , but for a phase in this forth coming offseason I intend to use it as a tool to stay leaner , I need a good Deload as have trained twice a day for 15 weeks and I keep all my sessions heavy , I don't get on with "light" days, I lose thickness quick, so once my body is a little fresher I will be looking to manipulate the total weekly training session volume

I do two a days in certain situations but you have to be careful
because it gets easy to overtrain especially while dieting.

For me my logbook dictates things quite well, if I can't progress lifts something is wrong. Obv going into a prep too fat means you need to expend/ restrict calories harder so that can void lift progressions, but start prep lean- grow all the way in, using weights as your main way to expend energy

doing this correctly is what seperates the winners from the regulars.

i tried this and failed miserably.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner