over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbilical Hernia Recovery

fredmac82

Registered
Newbies
I am scheduled to have an umbilical hernia surgery this week. I was told by my doctor that this is a fairly routine procedure. Has anyone here had one and what was your experience? How long do you need to be out of the gym to recover?

I had one many years ago. It's been too long for me to remember exactly how long off from lifting I took.

I remember taking 2 weeks off completely, no exercise. Then I started back with light cardio and light lifting. I used a lot of machines and did no lift that put a lot of stress on my core. Especially no squats, dead lifts, leg presses, and bentover rows. Stayed off those for at least 6 weeks. Everything 20 reps. Slowly worked back up to normal weights and workout.

My surgery was unsuccessful because I ended up blowing out my patch about 6 months after surgery. Think it was doing squats or dead lifts.

I also had 2 inguinal hernias patched at the same time. It's been about 17 years or so now and I've not had the hernia operated on again. It's small. The inguinal hernias are fine.

I had it done a few years ago. Dr used the surgical mesh to repair. Pain was pretty intense first few days, couldn't even stand up straight. After one week, I started doing light cardio on an elliptical because I couldn't being so inactive. My dr cleared me 2 weeks post surgery to lift and do whatever I wanted and said I couldn't do any damage to the repair at that point. I've had zero issues with it. I will say, though I was cleared to workout how I wanted, I couldn't go full strength on plenty of exercises because of discomfort and pain. It's pretty much self limiting and took a good 4-6 weeks before I was pain free.

They tell you that the mesh area that is repaired is stronger than before when it was natural, but thats not true. Tore mine. I must admit that I was surprised. My surgeon acted like it was bullet proof. I tore mine 6 months after surgery too, so it wasnt a matter of doing it too soon.

I had it done a few years ago. Dr used the surgical mesh to repair. Pain was pretty intense first few days, couldn't even stand up straight. After one week, I started doing light cardio on an elliptical because I couldn't being so inactive. My dr cleared me 2 weeks post surgery to lift and do whatever I wanted and said I couldn't do any damage to the repair at that point. I've had zero issues with it. I will say, though I was cleared to workout how I wanted, I couldn't go full strength on plenty of exercises because of discomfort and pain. It's pretty much self limiting and took a good 4-6 weeks before I was pain free.
That's not bad. Getting cleared to lift in 2 weeks sounds good. Trying not to lose many gains while I recover. Might have to do some light cardio as soon as I can get moving.

They tell you that the mesh area that is repaired is stronger than before when it was natural, but thats not true. Tore mine. I must admit that I was surprised. My surgeon acted like it was bullet proof. I tore mine 6 months after surgery too, so it wasnt a matter of doing it too soon.
Interesting...I wonder how often that happens post-surgery.

Interesting...I wonder how often that happens post-surgery.
Probably rather common in heavy lifters, but for the average Joe quite rare. I have seen some others on here that tore theirs out too.

Are you having a laparoscopic repair? If so, plan on taking fair amount of time off (4 weeks or so) before lifting and longer for heavy compounds such as squats and deads. I had a Shoudice Technique umbilical repair as did a buddy of mine and recovery was faster. I was back training in 5 days but stuck to leg extensions and leg curls for 4 week. At a month, I added some light leg pressing and belt squat stiff legged DL's. Mine has been a few years and is still holding up (no mesh), finger crossed. Cosmetically it turned out good so I was happy about that.

Probably rather common in heavy lifters, but for the average Joe quite rare. I have seen some others on here that tore theirs out too.
What's you definition of heavy? Granted I don't squat much because of lower back issues bit I've pulled 500lb dead with a hex bar post surgery and all has been good. I do think heavy squats probably cause more pressure in the abdomen. I also where a belt and make it super tight hoping to help support my hernia repair.

To the op. I don't think you'll have to worry about going heavy for the for the first month. I honestly don't think your body will allow it. It's a self limiting pain. You'll be able to lift but you'll probably find yourself wanting lower weight and more reps as you'll feel the discomfort from your surgery but like I said, my dr fully cleared me after 2 weeks post surgery. He did not know about the little bit of cardio I was doing.

What's you definition of heavy? Granted I don't squat much because of lower back issues bit I've pulled 500lb dead with a hex bar post surgery and all has been good. I do think heavy squats probably cause more pressure in the abdomen. I also where a belt and make it super tight hoping to help support my hernia repair.

To the op. I don't think you'll have to worry about going heavy for the for the first month. I honestly don't think your body will allow it. It's a self limiting pain. You'll be able to lift but you'll probably find yourself wanting lower weight and more reps as you'll feel the discomfort from your surgery but like I said, my dr fully cleared me after 2 weeks post surgery. He did not know about the little bit of cardio I was doing.
Thanks! A 2-week break from the gym isn't that bad for recovery. I plan on still doing light cardio during that 2 week time period if the pain isn't too great.

Thanks! A 2-week break from the gym isn't that bad for recovery. I plan on still doing light cardio during that 2 week time period if the pain isn't too great.

I re-herniated mine again as well. Debating another repair but on the fence.

Yeah, pain can tell you to slow down. Problem is later on once it has healed it can let go at any time without any warning pain. Mine did. I always wore a nice Inzer forever powerlifting belt tight too.

I have chosen to just leave mine. It's about the size of the tip of my pinky. I just keep pushing it back in all day long. As long as it doesn't get strangulated, you should be ok.

How long after your surgery did you rip yours? Mine happened about 6 months later doing either squats or deadlifts.

Oh, and about that time, 6 months post op, I magically developed diastasis recti. I'd never had any signs of it before surgery. I think somehow surgery caused it!

Maybe from the laproscopic surgery when they inflate your abdomen with air?

Damn good thread. I need all info I can find. Bellybutton push out as I was just hanging from bar about 2 yrs ago. Makes no damn sense. It had to be compromised from decades of being a knucklehead.Pokes out about size of nickel. Doesn’t really hurt but it just feels very weird in my stomach. It is definitely progressing slowly. I’m 52yrs been in gym over 30 yrs. I don’t lift heavy just to maintain. When I do abs it does flare up worse.

Damn good thread. I need all info I can find. Bellybutton push out as I was just hanging from bar about 2 yrs ago. Makes no damn sense. It had to be compromised from decades of being a knucklehead.Pokes out about size of nickel. Doesn’t really hurt but it just feels very weird in my stomach. It is definitely progressing slowly. I’m 52yrs been in gym over 30 yrs. I don’t lift heavy just to maintain. When I do abs it does flare up worse.
Has it gotten bigger over the years?

Umbilical hernias generally happen because of the way the umbilical cord heals when a baby. For some of us, we are left with a weak spot and lifting definitely exposes it. Strangulation typically doesn't happen because it's a large enough hole and unlike other hernias, there's not tear in the muscle to heal back together and strangle it. Umbilical hernias are usually fixed with mesh. Best method to ensure it doesn't happen again. My dr made about a 1.5" incision above my belly button, put some mesh in, stitched it to my abdomen, and then it pretty much fuses itself there.

I do remember seeing one of those law firm tv commercials about surgical mesh and complications. That was prior to my surgery, wonder if that has anything to do with these failed procedures.

Mine would cause me some pain and discomfort if I was full or bloated and would bend over. My wife also thought it was grotesque and couldn't stand looking at me with my shirt off. I too didn't like the look of it but waited several years for surgery because I didn't want to take time off from the gym. I wish I would've had it done sooner.

I had the surgery done about 4 years ago. Pain was non existent. Never had to take any pain medication at all. That surgery was actually painless. Now I had a bi-lateral hernia surgery years ago and that was extremely painful. I guess it all depends on the individual. I wish you the best.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear