over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbilical Hernia repair -recovery time

cshort01

Registered
I'm scheduled to have an umbilical hernia repaired in a couple weeks and the surgeon told me I'd need to rest from lifting for 3 weeks then lift light and not put too much stress on my "core" for 3 more weeks. He will be putting mesh in and stitching it up.

Any of you guys have this procedure done and, if so, what was your recovery time? Any complications?

damn bro, orry to hear that.

how did you get the umbilical hernia?

Most likely just from the strain of lifting. I think it happened when I was deadlifting several years ago. I've had it about 7 years...just now deciding to get it repaired. I never wanted to take the time off from the gym for recovery.

As someone who is recovering from a two level lumbar fusion, just do what your doctors tell you. You don't wouldn't want to tear the mesh away from the lining. I know it sucks but recuperation is just as important as the surgery itself.

Popped my cork a few yrs back deadlifting. Going in late fall for the fix.
My Dr. said the same, 3 +3. Already bought the core support belt incase I cant stay away from the preacher curl.lol
And I guess the wife is riding the Bull for a while.

I had varicocele and was told 3 weeks as well...

NOT ENOUGH

Don't start any activity until you feel like yourself again, which should be at least a good 6 months. I'd do a full year, to be honest...

I had mine repaired in the begging of September 14 I was told no lifting for about 6 to 8 weeks and could start doing cardio when I felt ok with no pain. I started by doing cardio on about day 5 and I couldn't stay away from working out so started doing some light machine weights at the 2 week point and just increased it a little each week. Legs took the longest to start training it was about 5 weeks to do light leg press with just the machine and a 25. I will say as my doctor told me don't do anything that causes you pain and just take it slow.

Surgery is a breeze, went out that night.

Make sure you get mesh! They will have you repeat over and over again what you are having done when en route to the OR, just make sure... I had to convince my doc to put mesh in.

I might have lifted using machines within 2 weeks using the stretchy hernia wraps with the velcro. Prolly should have waited another week or two.

Hardest issue is doing abs. It has been over a year and I still get pain around my umbilical when doing abs. After talking with JM who's had plenty of hernia surgeries, I now do more sets of less reps, stopping way before failure.

Make sure it's the mesh and it's put in behind the muscle (which is standard but there are some stories of MD's putting it over the muscle).

Monday will be 4 weeks for me. Doc said I could go back after 2 weeks provided I took it light (by light he meant 30 lbs). 4 weeks full clearance. Obviously listed to your body and don't push it too hard.

Ive had the hernia for years wa told 4-6 week by several different Dr's.
Not looking forward to the op, but I want that ugly SOB out of my life lol.

My doctor asked me to promise not to lift for one month. I never promised that. I was doing cardio within 3 days and lifting full strength after 10 days. I stopped dead lifts. Make sure to wear a belt while training and wrap a towel around it to put extra support around the belly button. Lift slow controlled reps. My surgeon's son was a competitive bodybuilder so he made sure to leave no visible scar. He told me to stay on AAS and hgh. Very cool doctor!!!

It took me at least a month to feel comfortable doing any amount of weight, especially squats and deadlift. I popped a suture benching, but the Dr said just take it easy and it'll be ok haha. I still get tenderness almost 8 months later if I stretch out my core too far. Good luck.

Mine took about 2 months. I had a drain in mine to release fluid. First week sucked, couldn't get out of bed. Getting back to lifting you need to take it easy.

Got mine doing shoulder shrugs.

Got exact surgery last summer. Was told not to lift over 10 pounds for 6 weeks. The first four days after surgery were pure misery. Laid there and moaned in pain anytime painkillers came close to wearing off! Going to bathroom for the first time after was even worse. Anyway after 3 weeks started feeling good again but did do light arm workouts after 5 weeks and then went a little heavier each week. Your back to normal in about 6 weeks but u don't wanna overdue it or you'll be in worse shape. My advice it let it heal right and take at least 6 weeks off

I failed to mention I let mine go for 4 years and it turned a one hour surgery into a 3 hour surgery. So mine was a little longer healing time

I would find a doctor who specializes in hernia surgeries not just a general surgeon. I had the mesh put in, explained to the doctor that I lift frequently and heavy during our consults - basically asked him to make it as strong as possible. Either he did a poor job or I just did not take well to the mesh but 4 years later I have a hernia again. My recovery was SLOW, didn't touch a weight for 6 weeks and wish I would have waited longer.

Depends how you heal...I had the exact same surgery last year and was told the same time frame. After my follow-up, I was healing so quickly, I was given the go-ahead to light weight training after a week. Super heavy, they still encourage waiting 6 weeks.

I'm scheduled to have an umbilical hernia repaired in a couple weeks and the surgeon told me I'd need to rest from lifting for 3 weeks then lift light and not put too much stress on my "core" for 3 more weeks. He will be putting mesh in and stitching it up.

Any of you guys have this procedure done and, if so, what was your recovery time? Any complications?

exactly that. I cruised on test during that time so I didn't drop off too much!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131