over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

UNEXPECTED INSPIRATION?

Because I was only told NO a few times in my life and both my sister and I have done fairly well in life. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I still think that parents are more encouraging today than 30-40 yrs ago...just saying.

That's garbage brother! I can't believe that there are fathers out there like that. My father was the complete opposite. He was extremely encouraging to both me and my sister. My parents were both athletes, mom held a few track and field record in Virginia high school and dad was a professional golfer, played at the U! I was small my whole life, but they encouraged me to be my best and never settle for anything less than what I wanted. Them encouraging me got me past the "you'll never make it" from the older kids as I was growing up. I was always being told I was too small, slow, not strong enough etc from them. Despite this, I had some others that were encouraging to me also. I was able to play professional baseball, while the kids who ragged me and said I'd never make anything never played college ball, and the ones that did, rode the bench.

It is a long story... My father is an alcoholic and was an excellent athlete. He played AAA ball for the Reds but missed the cut one spring training. He is bitter about it and always would blame my mother for not making the cut (no idea why...as a kid he would scream at her and blame her). Well he tried to live vicariously through my brother and me and would take credit for anything we achieved. As my brother I became more independent and excelled in sports he felt resentment for our accomplishments and any mistake we would make he would come down on us with hate.

My mother on the other hand supported our family and encouraged me to do whatever I had a passion for. She is in her late 50s and still runs marathons and recent won the overall women's at two races. Thankfully, she divorced him and the man she has been with for the past 4 years is more like a father than my biological father ever was.

What I learned from my father is how I will never treat my wife or children. But I thank him for giving me the determination to never settle for less than my best

Why did fathers back years ago put down their own children?? Nowadays the parent is usually the child's best friend!

A father and/or mother should not be their child's "best friend" they should be their parent. The reason why kids are so freaking and is because parents want to be their best friends and coddle them and fix all their problems. I had to go through a lot myself, my parents disciplined me, I turned out fine. I don't think parents should ever put down their kids, but they should discipline them. No, that doesn't mean hitting them, discipline comes in many forms.
Many parents put down their kids because they failed at many things themselves, they are unhappy with the way their lives turned out etc
Also, substance abuse plays a big role in that

It is a long story... My father is an alcoholic and was an excellent athlete. He played AAA ball for the Reds but missed the cut one spring training. He is bitter about it and always would blame my mother for not making the cut (no idea why...as a kid he would scream at her and blame her). Well he tried to live vicariously through my brother and me and would take credit for anything we achieved. As my brother I became more independent and excelled in sports he felt resentment for our accomplishments and any mistake we would make he would come down on us with hate.

My mother on the other hand supported our family and encouraged me to do whatever I had a passion for. She is in her late 50s and still runs marathons and recent won the overall women's at two races. Thankfully, she divorced him and the man she has been with for the past 4 years is more like a father than my biological father ever was.

What I learned from my father is how I will never treat my wife or children. But I thank him for giving me the determination to never settle for less than my best

Good for you MF! My dad too was an alcoholic. I was fortunate that he quite drinking when I was 6 or 7. I never remember seeing him drunk, so that's good. He too lived vicariously through us, but took the opposite approach when we failed, he encouraged us to work harder. Glad to see you learned something from your dad, even if it's how not to act

The first thing that changed me was when a little girl looked at me and said, "Look at that fat kid" when I was at a waterpark when i was younger.

That inspired me to get in shape and I lost a lot weight.

Next, was my father....not in the sense you would think... Multiple times, he said to me, "You are never going to be anything. You'll never be any good, you are a failure." The set me off to where I am now...

The insiration for bodybuilding came from meeting Jay Cutler. It neve crossed my mind until her said to me I can be something if I wanted to... At 17 I entered my first show and won...

You know I still remember when I was 10 and some 12 year old preppy kid said "lay off the egg mcmuffins boy"...I sadly never ran into him after high school but I will never forget that haha.

You know I still remember when I was 10 and some 12 year old preppy kid said "lay off the egg mcmuffins boy"...I sadly never ran into him after high school but I will never forget that haha.

He's probably a 300lb monster:eek::)

I don't know about you guys but it is inspirational for me to see how we all have different inspirations/motivations and yet we all end up pursuing the common goal of bodybuilding/physical fitness as a lifestyle. I am only 5'1 and with my genetics I would have ended up the short fat kid. Instead I found bodybuilding and became the short hugely muscular kid instead. I am happy to say that this has allowed me to stay large, muscular, healthy, and happy at the age of 38. And my parents always supported me in this pursuit and even bought me my first gym membership at a local powerhouse gym at the age of 14. So thank you mom and dad, and thank you Bill Pearl wherever you are.
Peace,
M2M :cool:

One of my physique motivators would have to be Dwayne Johnson, his continual growth and success in both his career and body is insanely impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next, was my father....not in the sense you would think... Multiple times, he said to me, "You are never going to be anything. You'll never be any good, you are a failure." The set me off to where I am now...

Yep...I had an adoptive father like that. He told me I'd never be big or strong. He laughed when I told him I was gonna play football and track.

As a 250lb athlete on a full ride scholarship to a Division 1 University, I looked back on his "opinion" with a chuckle. That experience showed me that even our most trusted sources of information and reinforcement are often wrong. And that WE already know the answer. So, don't ask...just do it and leave no question in anyone's mind.

Always loved Platz and Troy Zuccolotto too. 'Cuz Zuke looked like me, I could see my goal better through him.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear