advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Unsolicited advice in the gym from idiots...

GymDudeVA

Registered
I know that there have probaboy been lots of other threads here on this topic, btu I don't post here very often and I have to vent....

Everyone at my gym keeps to themselves. There are lots of idiots doing idiotic things, but I leave them be.

So tonight some idiot is on my favorite leg press machine, so I use another one nearby. He loads the thing up with 45s as far as he can on both sides, then puts as many plates as he can on the extra middle peg. The guy barely looks like he works out up top, and has no legs to speak of. OK, I do my sets, and all the while he is just sitting there. He keeps looking over at me, and once he looks and shakes his head! Whatever. FINALLY after about 10 minutes he bounces the sled up and down about 1 inch a few times, then takes all the plates back off. UM ok. We've all seen these guys.

Here's the kicker....he comes up to me later and says "Dude, you are not supposed to go down past 90 degrees on that! My doctor said that any further than that tears up the knees!" I told him I had been doing them the same way for 20 years and my knees were fine, etc. He says, "Well, when I use over 1000 pounds [!!!!!], I don't even undo the safety locks." He kept arguing with me (with me being too nice), and finally I just said, "Well, I'll look into that" and walked away. (I am very non-confrontational.)

Now I am kicking myself for not telling him off. If someone who halfway looked like they knew what they were doing came up to me like that, it wouldn't be quite as bad...but this was a major idiot who had no clue how to do the lift/exercise in question. And I'm obviously a more experienced bodybuilder than him...MUCH more....I almost turned my car around to go back and have a word with him, but I guess I gotta let it go...OK I feel better, I guess it's not that important...

How do you all deal with these people?

Last edited:
I guess i'm just kicking myself for not saying anything critical at all about him...he's the one that needs some advice! but maybe it is best sometimes to just keep one's head above water and not waste the energy...

And yeah, I had a tank top on and even though I'm off cycle, I'm about 240# moderately lean....and one of the very few in that gym who is (or could be) a competitive bodybuilder...

Well, this is the Washington, DC area....'nuf said! Lots of know-it-alls and hot air around here.....

Well we lift in our living room and sun room. We only have to share it with Loser (the cat). Every once in a while he gives me a look. :mad: He'd better watch it cause I can body slam him pretty good. :D But Thankfully no unsolicited advice, just dirty looks.

This guys leg press reminds me of the time I watched a man get inside a power rack, safety bars at waist height, I thought he was doing shrugs with the 6 or more plates on each side. Get this, he only slid the weight from the rear to the front, about a foot. Granted that is a lot of weight, but what did it develope? His physique spoke volumes about his gym knowledge, his leg press was similiar to what you described. Some people just need the attention focused upon them, even if they look foolish.

How do you all deal with these people?[/QUOTE]

IPOD WORKS GREAT I DON't HEAR A THING!!

Dont worry about it, hes sick in the head. Im a personal trainer now and I get idiots telling me stuff like "you shouldnt trim your bodyhair, you lose protein" or I see some fat idiot trying to make his fat chick do 100 sit ups thinking that they are going to lose the fat by just doing sit ups. When I tell them that I got a six pack by not training abbs at all, they look and think Im bulshiting(ever heard of diet?). But the worst ones are the ones that load up the leg press and only move it a few inches and they dont even put the weights back. Also the ones that spend 4 hrs in the gym and after 1 year they still look the same but they carry on giving advice to everybody as if they know best.

you did just great !!! taking in account post workout hypoglicemic state !!!

I read once in my son's scool book - It is easy to be gentleman with a king, but not so easy to be a gentleman with a bagger.

I've seen guys with no chest or arm development doing 100lb DB presses with a spotter from rep. 1. Then they slam DB's together at the peak.

Best to just walk away and say nothing.

you did alright bro, or you could have told him "well next time I see your fat out of shape doctor in here I'll ask him personally" bahahahaha

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131