over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Update & abdominal control on stage

hawkmoon

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hi guys, did my local qualifier for the Olympia Amateur this weekend. Won my class and took third in the open. I was the hardest on stage and plenty of size with the exception of my legs, but I accept that short coming at this point in my "career".

One thing that I think cost me second was abdominal control. I have a real hard time keeping it in and due to having very bad asthma can't pull it in far for long. I can only hold my breath about 20 seconds.

I am thinking to make it easier I will taper the food dramatically from Friday and eat like a bird back stage. Every bit of additional content in my stomach and intestines makes it that much harder. I'll also use TAM to empty as much as I can.

I will also practice vacuuming as much as I can for the next 3+ weeks until the OA.

Any further tips or ideas? Do I risk going flat by stopping carb up Thursday and eating very light thereafter? I'm thinking the trade off might be worth it anyway...

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your win, I love seeing older guys still kicking ass.

I haven't competed so no comment on carbing up / flatness.

I did start practicing vacuums regularly about 2 years ago and it's made a noticeable difference in abdominal control and how tight I can keep it even at my biggest during the year.

I don't do anything crazy, just hold a vacuum 3 times in the shower after my workout. I hold them longer when I'm in shape as it's easier with less volume of food in me, but even now at full bulk I'll still hold them for 15 - 20 seconds.

If you don't train abdominals regularly in the gym, do so. The better that mind-muscle connection is the easier it will be to control them.

I did start practicing vacuums regularly about 2 years ago and it's made a noticeable difference in abdominal control and how tight I can keep it even at my biggest during the year.

I don't do anything crazy, just hold a vacuum 3 times in the shower after my workout. I hold them longer when I'm in shape as it's easier with less volume of food in me, but even now at full bulk I'll still hold them for 15 - 20 seconds.

If you don't train abdominals regularly in the gym, do so. The better that mind-muscle connection is the easier it will be to control them.

ah dammit, ok ok i will train abs.

dang DanielTX, that post motivated me to practice vacuums AND to train abs
-F2S

Pretty well agree with this; train abs on a regular basis, practice your vacuums, and doing planks helps as well. Another thing to try out is a waist trainer, if only for the reason that it'll remind you when your kind of letting your abs relax so it basically conditions you to constantly keep them tight and flexed.

Agree with the abdominal work auggestion. Also to help reduce bloat and distention you can try front loading your carbs next time early in the week then taper down close to show.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm wearing my trainer, doing vacuuming, and will taper my carbs the last week.

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear