over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Upper Back Thickness

Baal

Registered
I have been following DC Training for some time now. I take a few breaks and train with something more simplified; 4x10-12.

I have noticed that my strength has increased like never before, and the size has come with it.

I started deadlifting with DC training with 225 for 8, and now I'm pulling 545 for 8.

What I've noticed is my lower lumbar is extremely well developed, and so are my upper traps & rear delts. However my mid/upper back seem to be lagging behind.

I'm considering throwing in some close grip up right rows..but I'm wondering if there's anything else that could be suggested?

I'm assuming my lower back, quads, rear delts and upper traps are doing majority of the work in this lift now. Kind of like guys with big shoulders usually have smaller biceps, vice versa.

I really appreciate this forum it has taught me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have been focusing a little more on seated cable rows. Perhaps Ill bring the straps back and up the weight a little while keeping full ROM. Good suggestion!

Cleans mostly from a hang have really built my upper back over the years.

Something new you might wanna try. It's also a plus becoming very explosive/powerful.

How about some hip width grip BB rows, T-Bars, DB rows 1/4 deads? That should thicken things right up.

I worked with a DC trainer (one of Dante's guys) for quite some time. For upper back thickness we used the smith machine for an "upright row" type movement.

Basically the exercise was performed as so...
set the bar down to right below knee height, walk up to the bar until your feet are under it and you are basically at the point of losing your balance (would fall backward) then back your feet up a little. Next bend over at around a 45 degree angle and grab the bar and or wrap in with wrist wraps. Now during the movement you will lean back slightly on the up movement and pulling your shoulder blades together, hold the contraction at the top, release and resist on the return as you lean slightly back over to your 45 degree. The bar should be pulled to your lower rib cage. This worked great for me.

This may sound silly, but look into buying an atlas stone ... if i get a chance I'll post up a pic of my back and show you what they do for development.

Try facepulls, band pull aparts, 45 degree back series (lie face down on adjustable bench at 30-45 degree incline...with light dumbells in hand do a row enternally rotate and then press overhead) Another good one is the neutral grip wide bar on the cable row, ie its longer than shoulder width and your palms are facing each other on the grip...

I worked with a DC trainer (one of Dante's guys) for quite some time. For upper back thickness we used the smith machine for an "upright row" type movement.

Basically the exercise was performed as so...
set the bar down to right below knee height, walk up to the bar until your feet are under it and you are basically at the point of losing your balance (would fall backward) then back your feet up a little. Next bend over at around a 45 degree angle and grab the bar and or wrap in with wrist wraps. Now during the movement you will lean back slightly on the up movement and pulling your shoulder blades together, hold the contraction at the top, release and resist on the return as you lean slightly back over to your 45 degree. The bar should be pulled to your lower rib cage. This worked great for me.

I've actually seen this done before. It seems like a great movement but I could never get it to work. I guess everyone has different bio mechanics if you will. Perhaps I'll give it another go.

Thank you for giving up such information! I really appreciate it.

I've actually seen this done before. It seems like a great movement but I could never get it to work. I guess everyone has different bio mechanics if you will. Perhaps I'll give it another go.

Thank you for giving up such information! I really appreciate it.

It certainly takes some practice to get the feel and initiate the appropriate muscles into the movement but once you get it I feel that it is a great accessory in the arsenal. Good luck!

I also would recommend the Hammer Single Arm Row piece of equiment if your gym has it. I go to a different gym on back day just for that ....the old style pullover machine and the hammer reverse grip pulldown machine too.......

Last edited:
This may sound silly, but look into buying an atlas stone ... if i get a chance I'll post up a pic of my back and show you what they do for development.

Great suggestion Tattered...Baal you could also try some zercher squats. Or if you can find a gym with a safety squat bar. Do some of those. If you grip that bar on the neck yolk, it actually tries to throw you forward as you come up out of the hole. Really builds and strengthens the upper and mid back.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131