over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

USB Ports Not Working

Well, I guess I am not clear on that either? My thinking is you turn it off...you turn it off? Doe's it matter how you turn it off? I usually turn it off in hibernation mode if I have stuff on my screen I want to save, finish, or continue reading, researching, drafting a paper on the word processor, etc.

If I don't have anything on my screen I want to continue the next day, I just turn it off using the shutdown mode either through the Windows start icon on the lower left part of the screen, or hitting the on/off button under my screen. That's why its there...power ON/OFF...no? Or is "LOG OFF" better/safer?

I would think this would be the normal way to shutdown my [laptop]. If someone here believes this is incorrect, please enlighten me?

Yes it doesn't make sense that turning off a laptop completely damages hardware, acctually it's the turning on part is the cause..... ???? ....... I don't know what to tell you about that but I spoke to my sister and she got an external hub and it works now.
I'm still interested to hear if you were able to fix yours or not. I hope it's all good now.

Yes it doesn't make sense that turning off a laptop completely damages hardware, acctually it's the turning on part is the cause..... ???? ....... I don't know what to tell you about that but I spoke to my sister and she got an external hub and it works now.
I'm still interested to hear if you were able to fix yours or not. I hope it's all good now.

I have to presume your sister had at least one working USB port in order to do what she did. My initial thoughts on the external hub adapter thing is you would need at least one working USB port in order to even use a hub adapter, correct? So in my case it appears I am SOL on the external hub adapter thing, as all four USB ports just stopped working?

I have not fixed my USB ports yet, no clue? Since my USB ports don't work, and I can't use my printer or flash drive, I started using Word UP...a pencil, pen, and a piece of paper!

do a system restore to back to the day before you had the problem....done

I did a system restore back to April 19, 2010, the computer would not allow me to go back any further? Shouldn't a computer allow its user/owner set any date for a restore? A friend did the system restore.
The USB port problem happened on or about April 10, 2010, so you can see the obvious problem there. When the system restore finished and rebooted I checked the device manager and the yellow exclamation points were still there next to the mentioned items in my original post.

I have to presume your sister had at least one working USB port in order to do what she did. My initial thoughts on the external hub adapter thing is you would need at least one working USB port in order to even use a hub adapter, correct? So in my case it appears I am SOL on the external hub adapter thing, as all four USB ports just stopped working?

I have not fixed my USB ports yet, no clue? Since my USB ports don't work, and I can't use my printer or flash drive, I started using Word UP...a pencil, pen, and a piece of paper!

no ports worked at all, the hub goes into a much larger outlet.. don't know what its called but it looks like an extra large memory stick with 4 usb ports attached to them...
im sorry that I can't help you solve your problem, I really don't know much about comps and laps and stuff, but this was my experience.

USB ports not working

no ports worked at all, the hub goes into a much larger outlet.. don't know what its called but it looks like an extra large memory stick with 4 usb ports attached to them...
im sorry that I can't help you solve your problem, I really don't know much about comps and laps and stuff, but this was my experience.

Thanks I will look into hub outlet devices a little more, but the ones I looked at had the regular USB port plug in connection. Sounds like maybe a Ethernet type port connection was used?

I think you may be on the right track though with the shut down/turn on/hibernation/sleep mode thing, at least in Windows Vista which is what I have. I did some research looking for a fix, answer, etc. and found on Microsoft Support Article ID: 928631: "A USB device may no longer work correctly after Windows Vista resumes from sleep or from hibernation".
Too long to post here, but if anyone wants to read it, the link is there.

I do recall shortly before losing my ports that I was using my flash drive and left it in the USB port and shut down in the hibernation mode so I could resume using my flash drive the next day. I did this a couple of times thinking it was OK? After reading the above article, it appears that doing so is not a good idea. Live and learn?

Thanks I will look into hub outlet devices a little more, but the ones I looked at had the regular USB port plug in connection. Sounds like maybe a Ethernet type port connection was used?

I think you may be on the right track though with the shut down/turn on/hibernation/sleep mode thing, at least in Windows Vista which is what I have. I did some research looking for a fix, answer, etc. and found on Microsoft Support Article ID: 928631: "A USB device may no longer work correctly after Windows Vista resumes from sleep or from hibernation".
Too long to post here, but if anyone wants to read it, the link is there.

I do recall shortly before losing my ports that I was using my flash drive and left it in the USB port and shut down in the hibernation mode so I could resume using my flash drive the next day. I did this a couple of times thinking it was OK? After reading the above article, it appears that doing so is not a good idea. Live and learn?

Kaiser what do you think of the above support article, or similar type articles relating to USB ports not working?

You previously mentioned "you did not think I had the correct drivers". I presumed you were speaking of the printer drivers, but it is apparent you were speaking of the bus controller drivers I mentioned in my original post.

Could you clarify why you think I have the incorrect drivers? I did not yet download any bus controller drivers, so I am a little confused there?

Thanks Dewyd.

dewyd

Got the 4 ports, and webcam working again, and all the yellow exclamation points removed from the device manager. Had to go into the registry with some long numbers to get them back. Relieved that I have use of my ports again to use a flash drive and printer. Long way around the boat though to get them working again.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131