over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Using a wheel for abs

DEADn

Registered
Does anyone use that wheel with the 2 handles to work their stomach? I know your back has to be fairly strong to use it. I have one but I haven't used it in a long time. I know of one person locally who uses it to keep his stomach cut up. He is a tall guy.

Is it an old school thing to use and not very popular or is it a hidden gem?

Those things work great. It built my abs way up using this. Too much if you asked my wife. I used it 6 days a week for about a year.

Now about once a week.

There is no secret to a nice set of abs. They're just another muscle. You need to work them to a full contraction.

Personally I like doing crunches, 5 sets of 5 reps, holding a 75lbs dumbbell under my neck on a decline bench. I do that once every week or so. Sometimes I skip a week. I decide to skip or not by how they look.

The main thing is to get slow controlled full contractions each and every rep. Every client I've ever put on a stage showed excellent abs. And we never had to resort to any "secret" gimmicks.

Attachments

• Abs.jpg
    Abs.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
slow and controlled is what I am aiming for. High reps get boring after a while for me. I need cut up my stomach but I also need to get rid of the fat on the lower portion as well.

I will do part crunch while holding some weight as well as the wheel.

I use the wheel as well. I superset reverse crunches with the wheel 3 times a week.

I used it and liked it a lot. I used to call it the wheel of death.

Now it beats up my shoulders.

I see one guy always using that thing, and his abs are pretty sick looking. Might have to give it a try..

I used it and liked it a lot. I used to call it the wheel of death.

Now it beats up my shoulders.

I tried it and the first thing i thought was another trip to the orthopedic for another shoulder scope.

I use it for reverse but this dude takes it one step further with bands!!

Pretty kickass- YouTube - ‪STRONG Gym - Reverse Ab Wheel w/ bands.‬‎

And then there's this - YouTube - ‪?? ?????AB WHEEL???????‬‎ . Hats off to that guy!

THe 2nd video is an OUCH. the first video, my screen is a bit dark so I am assuming the guy has some stirrups on the handles to keep his feet in place?

I did 2 reps yesterday with this. I had to be careful because of a neck hernia. It didn't seem to affect it which is good.

I cannot imagine going from a standup position all the way to parallel to the floor and holding it there but, yeah, that would help strengthen the core!

I am getting back to this because my core is a bit weak both from and back.
Thanks for the feedback!

Here's my final comment on ab gimmicks. First you have to decide whether you want athletic conditioning or a nice full 6-pack.

If you're trying to build up some sort of sports specific athletic conditioning, then maybe those gimmicks have merit.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any proof that using gimmicks produces better looking abs. End of story. :rolleyes:

Hell, all you have to do lay on the floor with your feet up on your couch and do slow controlled crunches with a paused contraction until you can't do any more. Keep that up once or twice a week and your abs will look amazing. ...unless you're too fat to see them of course. :D:D:D

I agree with OJS on all this. I guess people are always looking for the newest, latest, and greatest. Nothing wrong with variety either, but bottom line, for me, I always concentrate on feeling it in my abs with some resistance vs. aiming for a million reps just banging 'em out. I like feeling that cramp in my abs… really compressing them and holding a second or two..

I don't feel the wheel is any more of a gimmick than a metal handle with metal plates attached to increase the difficulty of a curl.

The wheel is more difficult to do than a crunch and costs $10.
It is a tool to increase the resistance of an ab exercise. Much like a barbell, dumbbell, or machine for other exercises.

To me a gimmick is something that makes an exercise easier like those ab cruncher things, or the wheel spin off that had a spring inside that did all the work for you. Or any of the multitude of exercise toys that allow you to build a great physique while you smile and watch tv! ;)

just front squat homey

Here's my final comment on ab gimmicks. First you have to decide whether you want athletic conditioning or a nice full 6-pack.

If you're trying to build up some sort of sports specific athletic conditioning, then maybe those gimmicks have merit.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any proof that using gimmicks produces better looking abs. End of story. :rolleyes:

Hell, all you have to do lay on the floor with your feet up on your couch and do slow controlled crunches with a paused contraction until you can't do any more. Keep that up once or twice a week and your abs will look amazing. ...unless you're too fat to see them of course. :D:D:D

so now an ab wheel is a gimmick?

An 8 dollar piece of plastic that has been around for decades is now some cheap trick? lmao....ok

And it isn't like it's any different than the slow controlled heavy reps you advocate. If you can do more than 8 reps with good form going all the way to floor.....my hats off to you. That shit is hard!

I don't feel the wheel is any more of a gimmick than a metal handle with metal plates attached to increase the difficulty of a curl.

The wheel is more difficult to do than a crunch and costs $10.
It is a tool to increase the resistance of an ab exercise. Much like a barbell, dumbbell, or machine for other exercises.

To me a gimmick is something that makes an exercise easier like those ab cruncher things, or the wheel spin off that had a spring inside that did all the work for you. Or any of the multitude of exercise toys that allow you to build a great physique while you smile and watch tv! ;)

TO ME A GIMMICK IS ANYTHING THEY CAN SELL YOU TO PRODUCE THE SAME OR LESS RESULTS THAT CAN BE ATTAINED WITHOUT IT.

so now an ab wheel is a gimmick?

An 8 dollar piece of plastic that has been around for decades is now some cheap trick? lmao....ok

And it isn't like it's any different than the slow controlled heavy reps you advocate. If you can do more than 8 reps with good form going all the way to floor.....my hats off to you. That shit is hard!

I'm a bodybuilder. I really could give a shit how much weight or how many reps someone can do on any particular exercise. All I care about is what the judge thinks on contest day.:cool:

TO ME A GIMMICK IS ANYTHING THEY CAN SELL YOU TO PRODUCE THE SAME OR LESS RESULTS THAT CAN BE ATTAINED WITHOUT IT.

The wheel is been around forever, and is not a gimmick. It was more effective in building abs then any other exericse I have ever done(and I have tried them all), bar none. Much more effective, for me, then weighted crunches/situps.

The wheel is been around forever, and is not a gimmick. It was more effective in building abs then any other exericse I have ever done(and I have tried them all), bar none. Much more effective, for me, then weighted crunches/situps.

I could easily accept that and apologize if you're not full of shit and are willing to post a picture of your impressive abs.

I could easily accept that and apologize if you're not full of shit and are willing to post a picture of your impressive abs.

I never claimed I had great ones(since that has to do with BF). I just said it put more muscle on my abs then any other I have used. No need to be an ass.:)

I don't have the dedication to be as lean as you.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear