over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Vegetarian bb'ing—is it possible?

Spacey

Registered
Do you think it is possible for the recreational bodybuilder to meet his dietary requirements without eating animal meat (chicken, fish, pork, beef, lamb, etc.), assuming that dairy and eggs are ok? How about the competitive bodybuilder? or the physique model? What would that diet look like? I assume the challenge would be protein, but I wonder if you could compensate through eggs, soy, protein powder and dairy. (I am not sure dairy would be a good choice when dieting, though, because of all of the sugar.)

Please let's keep this just about what's possible in terms of bodybuilding (building muscle), not your feelings about vegetarianism and vegetarians, or your love of meat. I don't want to make this political. This isn't about the merits of vegetarianism (or lack thereof); I am just wondering how a vegetarian diet would work for bodybuilding.

Do you think it is possible for the recreational bodybuilder to meet his dietary requirements without eating animal meat (chicken, fish, pork, beef, lamb, etc.), assuming that dairy and eggs are ok? How about the competitive bodybuilder? or the physique model? What would that diet look like? I assume the challenge would be protein, but I wonder if you could compensate through eggs, soy, protein powder and dairy. (I am not sure dairy would be a good choice when dieting, though, because of all of the sugar.)

Please let's keep this just about what's possible in terms of bodybuilding (building muscle), not your feelings about vegetarianism and vegetarians, or your love of meat. I don't want to make this political. This isn't about the merits of vegetarianism (or lack thereof); I am just wondering how a vegetarian diet would work for bodybuilding.

It's absolutely possible. If u google vegetarian bodybuilding there is tons of information. There are a few guys here that are vegetarian.

Sure, even for vegans... If you take the time to study the profile of each veggie source, you'll find the mix with the correct profile for muscle building and have some custom made powders.

Bodybuilding is hard enough, throw a lack of meat and it becomes dramatically more difficult. I believe you can build muscle and improve your physique with this lifestyle, but you will not achieve a very high level and not reach the same level you would eating meat. That's just my opinion.

Yeah it's possible but like Chode said it'll be much more difficult depending on your genetics and you'll definitely need to be taking plenty of hormones.

I'm a staunch believer that the easiest dietary way to gain muscle is to eat muscle. There's something special about it. However milk and eggs will make it much easier than a pure vegan diet.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I believe Bill Pearl was a vegetarian for most of his career

It's absolutely possible. If u google vegetarian bodybuilding there is tons of information. There are a few guys here that are vegetarian.

Thanks. I hope they will chime in. I did search google a bit, but I didn't see anyone who was very impressive.

Sure, even for vegans... If you take the time to study the profile of each veggie source, you'll find the mix with the correct profile for muscle building and have some custom made powders.
Interesting. For vegans, I can't imagine how they can get the necessary protein when dieting without crazy amounts of additional calories because most plant protein sources aren't pure protein. They are either predominantly carbs (e.g., legumes, quinoa) or fats (e.g., nuts). Seems possible for bulking, but not sure about cutting...

Bodybuilding is hard enough, throw a lack of meat and it becomes dramatically more difficult. I believe you can build muscle and improve your physique with this lifestyle, but you will not achieve a very high level and not reach the same level you would eating meat. That's just my opinion.

Intuitively, that sounds right to me, too. But, in terms of biochem, I would think that an amino is an amino is an amino, regardless of whether it comes from plants or animals. I am inclined to agree with you, but it's still nagging at me...

Last edited:
Interesting. For vegans, I can't imagine how they can get the necessary protein when dieting without crazy amounts of additional calories because most plant protein sources aren't pure protein. They are either predominantly carbs (e.g., legumes, quinoa) or fats (e.g., nuts). Seems possible for bulking, but not sure about cutting...

TN makes pea isolate, rice, hemp proteins and a Tri-Blend that have close to zero carbs.

Intuitively, that sounds right to me, too. But, in terms of biochem, I would think that an amino is an amino is an amino, regardless of whether it comes from plants or animals. I am inclined to agree with you, but it's still nagging at me

When we talk aminos and "complete proteins" always know that chicken, fish, beef, whey, etc are not "complete Proteins". We tend to think that these animal products all have the perfect balance of aminos to make them "complete". The whole egg is the only food which is perfectly complete.

But proteins of any source, whether animal or vegetable become complete when we eat them with some other food group such as rice, Eziekiel, pasta, broccoli, kale, potatoes, etc. The aminos from those food groups compliment the aminos consumed from other "protein" foods and thus become "complete".

The other option to consider is rather than spend money on protein powders, just consume BCAA's, EAA's, Leucine, and Glutamine. With that approach all your bases will be covered with extra attention to the specific ones we need to consume more of.

Spacey, you're correct in assuming an amino is an amino is an amino. It's knowing which food groups to combine to be sure we achieve completeness.
Whether those choices are animal or vegetable matters not.

-MT

Thanks. I hope they will chime in. I did search google a bit, but I didn't see anyone who was very impressive.

Intuitively, that sounds right to me, too. But, in terms of biochem, I would think that an amino is an amino is an amino, regardless of whether it comes from plants or animals. I am inclined to agree with you, but it's still nagging at me...

But proteins of any source, whether animal or vegetable become complete when we eat them with some other food group such as rice, Eziekiel, pasta, broccoli, kale, potatoes, etc. The aminos from those food groups compliment the aminos consumed from other "protein" foods and thus become "complete".

Whether those choices are animal or vegetable matters not.

^ Excellent information. I didn't know this. Do you know if there is an easily accessible list that explains which food groups to combine to get the complete protein? I am going to search the web, but if you know of anything already, I don't mind being pointed in the right direction. :p

Thanks for the suggestions about how to use the powders and the supplements to get enough protein. Maybe it's more feasible than I realized!

Hey Spacey,

Please know that the spirit in which I share this information is not to judge what other people do or how they think. I provide this information as just that.....information.

We are constantly bombarded with info about protein in general. How much, how often, what type, slow acting vs faster acting, etc, etc, etc.
We are all similar in our quest to build a bodybuilding physique and there are hundreds of studies and opinions out there to both validate things as well as to disprove things. This info may be interpreted as junk to some guys or valuable to others.

I'm not familiar with a list of food groups to package together to achieve the perfect balance of aminos, but there may be. Someone in an earlier post mentioned the carb factor and it's true. Certain vegetables are very high in carbs so you may want to avoid these, especially during a cutting phase. There are so many factors involved. Things like cooking your protein, eating your vegetables raw or steamed. The list goes on and on.

My advice is not to get too hung up about the perfect blend. I tend to use brown rice, millet, whole grain pasta, oats, sweet potatoes, etc, throughout the day with my meals to insure I meet my protein needs and have some variety in how I package my meals.

My main source of protein comes from raw aminos. Depending on pre wo, intra wo and post wo. I vary the dose and the amino stack I use.
I absolutely believe that our protein needs exceed the norm.
But there is no question that consuming large (?) amounts of protein does stress our kidneys.

Here's a little info you may find helpful.

6.1 Definition
A complete protein is usually defined as* a single or combined protein source which has all eight of the essential amino acids. Meat, for example, is said to be a complete protein, and so are eggs, dairy products, soybeans and many nuts. It has been suggested by some individuals and groups that a complete protein (or a combination of proteins that will provide certain proportionate amounts of the eight essential amino acids) be eaten at every meal to make sure that we obtain all eight of the essential amino acids, preferably in certain proportions.

6.2 Are Not Essential In the Diet
This idea of a “complete protein” has been so heavily advertised by special interest groups, such as the meat and dairy industries, that the average person believes he must eat meat (or at least milk and eggs if a “vegetarian”) or at the very least prepare protein combinations such as grains and beans or take protein supplements in order to get enough high-quality protein. All of these beliefs are false and. in fact, may lead to practices which increase the toxicity in the body.
This is an important concept in understanding protein needs: It is not necessary for all eight of the essential amino acids to be present in one food or even within one meal in order to obtain our full protein needs. As we have discussed, the body has its own amino acid pool to draw from to supply amino acids which may be missing from dietary sources. Needed amino acids may be withdrawn from those already in circulation, or the necessary amino acids may be released by the liver or other cells into the circulatory system. The amino acid pool thus acts as the supplier of the essential amino acids missing from incomplete proteins. This fact is proven by observing patients after lengthy fasts who exhibited not a protein deficiency, but a restored protein balance.
Only the carnivorous animals in nature eat “complete proteins.” Most of the vegetarian animals eat grass, tubers, fruits, grains, etc. and often of a limited variety. Yet they never exhibit signs of protein deficiency. In fact, protein poisoning from eating high-protein foods is far more common among Western man than is protein deficiency.

The “complete protein” idea also falls apart if we realise that the amino acids in many of the so-called complete protein foods cannot even be fully used by the body. Meat as eaten, for example, is usually only the muscle meat of the animal, which is particularly low in some of the essential amino acids. The soybean has an anti-enzyme factor which blocks or inhibits the assimilation of some of its essential amino acids. Proteins which have been cooked or heated (such as meat. fish, eggs and most dairy products) may lose-up to 50% or more of their essential amino acids due to the creation of enzyme resistant linkages caused by the cooking. So we can see that many of the so-called “complete proteins” are not even completely used by the body.

6.3 Are Present In Wholesome foods
If you are truly concerned about eating a food that has all eight essential amino acids which are in a form easily used by the body, we would suggest some of these wholesome foods.
All contain the eight essential amino acids:

Fruits, Nuts, Vegetables, Bananas, Almonds, Alfalfa Sprouts, Tomatoes, Coconuts, Bean Sprouts, Dates, Filberts, Carrots, Sunflower Seeds, Eggplants
Walnuts, Sweet Potatoes, Brazil Nuts, Broccoli, Pecans, Cabbages, Corn,
Okra and Squashes

There are many other foods suitable for the human dietary which also contain all eight essential amino acids.
It should be emphasized, however, that it is not necessary for one food or one meal or one day’s intake of food to contain all eight essential amino acids. We do not need to eat meat, cheese or soybeans to obtain complete protein, nor do we need to mix grains and beans or milk and cereals to get a complete protein in one meal.
A varied diet of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and sprouts can furnish us with all the essential and non-essential amino acids, along with all the other nutrients we need. And, it can do so in the most wholesome foods suitable for the human diet and in a form most readily and efficiently used.

-MT

^ Excellent information. I didn't know this. Do you know if there is an easily accessible list that explains which food groups to combine to get the complete protein? I am going to search the web, but if you know of anything already, I don't mind being pointed in the right direction. :p

Thanks for the suggestions about how to use the powders and the supplements to get enough protein. Maybe it's more feasible than I realized!

there have been pro's that where Andreas Cahling , Bill Pearl.

Hey Spacey,

Please know that the spirit in which I share this information is not to judge what other people do or how they think. I provide this information as just that.....information.

MT, thanks, and no worries. I appreciate the information and didn't perceive any judgement. I am interested in learning more about how to manage a bb diet without it, so this information is helpful.

I did some research and found an article in Ironman Magazine from a few years ago that did concern me, though. It cited research that found that meat-eaters made better gains than vegetarians. The article's author hypothesized that this might be because plant proteins are harder to digest and that the greater variety in a meat-eaters diet may have supplied a more optimal array of aminos for supporting muscle mass. I am going to continue looking for additional research on this.

I haven't eaten meat in the past 4-5 years. Now I'm not going to be winning the Mr. Olympia any time soon, or even any local shows for that matter, but that's not really anything I care about. I'm 43 and in better shape than about 95% of the 20-somethings at my gym. I rely on protein supplements (custom blend from TN) for most of my protein but I also eat a lot of eggs, Greek yogurt, beans, and other real food sources too. It's easy enough to do if you put a little thought into it and don't just replace meat with sugary junk food, etc.

It is for sure possible, you just need to use soy suppositories, or "soypositories" as I call them.

Vegans would have a harder time, they can' have dairy, might as well kill yourself if you are a vegan. No offense to any Vegans out there, but what is life without MEAT, juicy steaks and burgers.... MMmmmmmmmm

How about a healthy (ier) heart, lower cholesterol, avoiding CHD, controlling BS, Lowering BF%, improved vision, increased libido, shall I continue?

Suppose you don't consider that you may be killing yourself by not being a vegan?

-MT

It is for sure possible, you just need to use soy suppositories, or "soypositories" as I call them.

Vegans would have a harder time, they can' have dairy, might as well kill yourself if you are a vegan. No offense to any Vegans out there, but what is life without MEAT, juicy steaks and burgers.... MMmmmmmmmm

Eat Eggwhites and Take Whey Protein Isolate at least.

Those 2 source are the highest bioavailable protein you can get.

Forget about milk,too high in sugar and Fat.

I have been dieting with Eggwhites and Whey Protein Isolate and its working great.I take ALOT of Unsaturated fats(macadamia,Olive oil,Avocados,Nuts,fish oil).

This is basically my diet.

Last edited:
How about a healthy (ier) heart, lower cholesterol, avoiding CHD, controlling BS, Lowering BF%, improved vision, increased libido, shall I continue?

Suppose you don't consider that you may be killing yourself by not being a vegan?

-MT

You know as well as most that all that can be contradicted in other studies.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131