over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

venting, is anyonelse like this?

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I started training around 2002, back then there were some routines or systems (GVT, 5x5, HST) but it seemed like most people just did a bro split and sets were taken to failure. Now over the years there are more routines, more "optimal" ones, were hearing more about high volume, RIR, RPE, it seems like if you use a bro split and train to failure your looked at as a neanderthal.

I like to optimize things like everyonelse but also realize it frustrates me. I posted that thread about nipped sale training, but settled on creating a PPL (pretty basic) similar to Creeping Death and PHAt. Basically PPLPPL, one push day is progression go shit heavy to failure, then the next day is more about a "pump". I included muscle rounds for some exercises from fortitude, was excited.

Day 3 im doing my push pump day not going to failure, being careful not to, using a stopwatch to take 1 minute between sets on the pump day, but still train hard I lost it, slammed the dumbbells down walked out I didn't want to train that way.

Is there anyonelse who (one or both)

1. You don't like to train if its not to failure? Your just wired to train to failure and cant get into pump sets, RIR, RPE?

2. You just like to do a bro-split and just smash one body part to failure then head home? M-Chest,T-Back,W-Legs, Th-delts, F-arms.

Sorry just venting. I try to learn new things, optimize, keep it simple but consider the science, but I only want to train to failure and I feel like Each day I need to focus on one part and crush it. Im sure we have others that still train like this or am I the only one?

I usually go as close to failure or intense as possible by including a rest/pause set or dropsets for my last set. Sometimes I may just push on a machine until I reach negative failure too. Those would be in my main movement. My sets usually go with a feel set, one set stopping close to failure and then going into my working set. It can change on isolations. I usually chase pump and high reps(3x15-20) on things like fly , cable curl, etc. I guess it’s just best to find what works for you, though and do it until you plateau. But intensity is always most important

Just to failure on the last set? See' ive always taken every set to failure, it just feels natural. When I cant move the bar, that set is done. I would find it impossible to track my progress if I did any other way (tried to train just a smudge short of failure etc). I also like to use higher rep ranges but always took them to failure.

For example Say its arms day

Close grip (3x8-12)
Barbell Curl (3x8-12)
DB Skullcrusher (3x12-15)
Incline DB Curl (3x12-15)
Cable Pressdown (2x15-20)
Preacher Curl (2x15-20)

Everything to failure, pretty simple arm workout no thinking. if my first set is above the rep rage, I use more weight next time.

But if I were to make any of the sets, or exercises not to failure, I have no way to track progress. It just drives me crazy thinking about it, I've been training like this so long. Its impossible for me to gauge how close I am to failure (1 rep, 2) I just know when it doesn't move anymore, that to me is failure and no thought is needed.

Just to failure on the last set? See' ive always taken every set to failure, it just feels natural. When I cant move the bar, that set is done. I would find it impossible to track my progress if I did any other way (tried to train just a smudge short of failure etc). I also like to use higher rep ranges but always took them to failure.

For example Say its arms day

Close grip (3x8-12)
Barbell Curl (3x8-12)
DB Skullcrusher (3x12-15)
Incline DB Curl (3x12-15)
Cable Pressdown (2x15-20)
Preacher Curl (2x15-20)

Everything to failure, pretty simple arm workout no thinking. if my first set is above the rep rage, I use more weight next time.

But if I were to make any of the sets, or exercises not to failure, I have no way to track progress. It just drives me crazy thinking about it, I've been training like this so long. Its impossible for me to gauge how close I am to failure (1 rep, 2) I just know when it doesn't move anymore, that to me is failure and no thought is needed.

No, I mean I always try to reach as close as possible, but I meant if I am going to do a rest/pause or dropset. If not I do similar to you.

If it's lets say a rest/pause 1 warm up, 1 feel set and then a rest/pause is an all out set and multiple sets in one , so I'll go to max intensity for that.

I started training around 2002, back then there were some routines or systems (GVT, 5x5, HST) but it seemed like most people just did a bro split and sets were taken to failure. Now over the years there are more routines, more "optimal" ones, were hearing more about high volume, RIR, RPE, it seems like if you use a bro split and train to failure your looked at as a neanderthal.

I like to optimize things like everyonelse but also realize it frustrates me. I posted that thread about nipped sale training, but settled on creating a PPL (pretty basic) similar to Creeping Death and PHAt. Basically PPLPPL, one push day is progression go shit heavy to failure, then the next day is more about a "pump". I included muscle rounds for some exercises from fortitude, was excited.

Day 3 im doing my push pump day not going to failure, being careful not to, using a stopwatch to take 1 minute between sets on the pump day, but still train hard I lost it, slammed the dumbbells down walked out I didn't want to train that way.

Is there anyonelse who (one or both)

1. You don't like to train if its not to failure? Your just wired to train to failure and cant get into pump sets, RIR, RPE?

2. You just like to do a bro-split and just smash one body part to failure then head home? M-Chest,T-Back,W-Legs, Th-delts, F-arms.

Sorry just venting. I try to learn new things, optimize, keep it simple but consider the science, but I only want to train to failure and I feel like Each day I need to focus on one part and crush it. Im sure we have others that still train like this or am I the only one?
Yes to both 😀

If you're not enjoying your training, you're not going to be giving it your all and your results or lack thereof will reflect that so just do what you enjoy training-wise.

Trust me when I tell you: the differences between training styles are negligible when equated for effort put in.

I know cause I've basically tried them all...

The main sticking point with these RIR/RPE training systems is you have to have a decent amount of training experience to gauge RIR/RPE - and really until you've had a coach actually take you to true muscular failure you're probably "failing" at around RPE 8.

I personally don't use RIR/RPE systems as I find they over complicate training programs. Too much science in sport these days 😂

Havent you said in the past you want to keep a leaner physique, less muscle, less gear, less food, etc?

Why are you bothering with optimal anything instead of just maintaining what you have? This doesnt make sense to me the amount of frustration you are putting yourself through. What exactly are you trying to do?

The main sticking point with these RIR/RPE training systems is you have to have a decent amount of training experience to gauge RIR/RPE - and really until you've had a coach actually take you to true muscular failure you're probably "failing" at around RPE 8.

I personally don't use RIR/RPE systems as I find they over complicate training programs. Too much science in sport these days 😂
This. I literally felt like when using rir rpe I was mentally masturbating during my set. This was the first time I tried it felt so odd. I. Looking around thinking " do others actually do this shit or just train to failure".

Havent you said in the past you want to keep a leaner physique, less muscle, less gear, less food, etc?

Why are you bothering with optimal anything instead of just maintaining what you have? This doesnt make sense to me the amount of frustration you are putting yourself through. What exactly are you trying to do?
Sort of.

I want to keep a low bf, would love to gain 10 lbs pure lbm and be able to eat more. But as we know gaining lbm requires adding fat.

So good point, no routine no matter how optimal is going to add slabs of muscle at maintenance calories.

Focusing on one body part per day has worked for me for years.

I don't know what you mean by "bro-split" but I've tried lots of other splits and for me it's my growth split.

I still train with my same old split:legs, arms, shoulders, back, chest repeat...but 3 on 1 off with regard to rest. I incorporate all kinds of training strategies in the days and definitely would not say I go to absolute failure very often at all. I do and always have done a fuckload of volume. I watch a lot of people train and whatnot and still haven't changed the way I do things overall. It's hard for me to fathom training something more than once a week or so.

I still train with my same old split:legs, arms, shoulders, back, chest repeat...but 3 on 1 off with regard to rest. I incorporate all kinds of training strategies in the days and definitely would not say I go to absolute failure very often at all. I do and always have done a fuckload of volume. I watch a lot of people train and whatnot and still haven't changed the way I do things overall. It's hard for me to fathom training something more than once a week or so.
are you happy with you physique?

I think it more depending on each person personality and goals.

For some that needs that tangible this to focus on like a specific number or weight I think keeping a log and stay focused on beating the log book would work.
Others can just go by feel and have a day were they get a good workout and feel great but use lighter weight and reps.

Maybe trying one of John Meadows programs , or Fortitude or DC for a while might work for you , or pick a specific goal and situate your training specifically for that

In my mass building years/decades i spent most of my time going as close to failure as i could. When that plateaued i would try other things get a little result and then go back to failure. I general i find what a person is willing to do is more effective then what they don't care to do. No matter which actually may be the best thing. What the top guru's or social influencers expound on is not necessarily what they used to build their size in their early years. And saying the basics work will not make you famous.

I think it more depending on each person personality and goals.

For some that needs that tangible this to focus on like a specific number or weight I think keeping a log and stay focused on beating the log book would work.
Others can just go by feel and have a day were they get a good workout and feel great but use lighter weight and reps.

Maybe trying one of John Meadows programs , or Fortitude or DC for a while might work for you , or pick a specific goal and situate your training specifically for that
I have done the dc Instagram split, liked it alot May go back it's very simple and intensity based. The 2 and 3 way don't fit me I go crazy not being in the gym atleast 5 days.

The Meadows one I viewed creeping death 2, 20-27 sets per workout with an rpe scale ( not to failure) would drive me mad. Mentally I'd hate guessing how many reps short of failure I'm doing.

In my mass building years/decades i spent most of my time going as close to failure as i could. When that plateaued i would try other things get a little result and then go back to failure. I general i find what a person is willing to do is more effective then what they don't care to do. No matter which actually may be the best thing. What the top guru's or social influencers expound on is not necessarily what they used to build their size in their early years. And saying the basics work will not make you famous.
This. I see Mike instead talking about rir but when he trains in his videos he moves the weight until he can't move it

i come from the "muscles are stupid" camp lol
meaning just about ANY stimulus (pick a rep scheme or sets or bro split etc) long as it stimulates growth and you can recover then boom.
i cant really stand to hear guys in the gym talking about this split or that split...
i was ocd when really getting after it and i tried em all. imo the work out plits/routines that worked best were the ones that i could recover best from.
i do 1-2 exercised per body part now. 12-20 reps for 3-4 sets
monday upper body followed by cardio
tuesday lower body and abs
wed cardio
thur upper body and cardio
friday lower body and abs
sat off
sun maybe cardio but prob not

Is anyone?
Plenty of people are. If I was stuck with the physique I had now forever I'd be very happy and have no problem with it.

There's a difference between being happy and satisfied - don't confuse them. I'm very happy with my physique, but never satisfied - I always want to improve it.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear