over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Vets: BB Diet back in the day

cac3071

Registered
Hi guys,

I am curious if anyone knows how Arnold, Lou, Franco....dieted back in the days of Pumpin Iron. I have never seen any info related to diet and cardio and was just wondering if anyone knew? Was it the low fat type diet that everyone followed in the 80s and 90s when I got into training?

Thanks

From what I understand, Arnold followed a low carb diet... I'm not 100% sure about this though (and I'm definitely not an oldtimer). Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Ric is wrong in his recollection, I know for a fact that Franco and Arnold ate pretty much the same exact offseason and precontest diets, which were high in carbs, high protein, and moderate in fats. When cutting they wouldn't restrict calories as much, they would just slightly reduce carbs, train to burn more calories, and perform light cardio several times per week. Pretty much the proper way :)

Well Ric doesn't look like an idiot but that may well be. If they did the workouts they say they did, they would shrivel to nothing on a low carb diet.

Btw Ross: how do you know? Talked to any of them guys?

Ric is dead on about all of his recollections. Mixing tuna and cottage cheese was also a big deal. My best friend in the world was on the scene at the time. This diet is how they would all eat all the time. The only difference was type and amount of drugs coming into a contest. Cutting total calories, and taking away that cheat day if you needed to were also common. The only "cardio" those guys did was to jog a mile. Yes, just a mile. They heard that's what Arnold did, and if it was good enough for Arnold...

Ric is dead on about all of his recollections. Mixing tuna and cottage cheese was also a big deal. My best friend in the world was on the scene at the time. This diet is how they would all eat all the time. The only difference was type and amount of drugs coming into a contest. Cutting total calories, and taking away that cheat day if you needed to were also common. The only "cardio" those guys did was to jog a mile. Yes, just a mile. They heard that's what Arnold did, and if it was good enough for Arnold...

interesting. Did these have a set diet or was it more like don't eat until you get really hunrgy and then eat some protein?

Btw Ross: how do you know? Talked to any of them guys?

I've heard and read very rare interviews where Arnold and Franco discuss diet and training principles. I've also read both of their books from cover to cover almost a dozen times, but not EVERYTHING in there was entirely accurate.

In a very old interview with REGIS(from regis and Kelly), Franco used to say "carbs are energy, without carbs you have no energy". Then REGIS asks him what else he takes pre workout and he says" Calcium, it helps the muscles contract".

Both Arnie and Franco were big on fruits and dairy, as well as even pasta and white rice.

FRANK ZANE was a low carb dieter, as was Vince Gironda.

Serge Nubret was very active on some other forum (I forget which one it was) shortly before he died.
He said that he didn't eat all day until the evening (sort of like IF), and he ate only beans and meat, occasionally with rice. He never ate anything else, according to him.

That is the only old school guy who's diet info I got straight from the source.

They had a somewhat set diet in that they tried to keep carbs under a certain quantity. I really don't think they were trying to "get into ketosis" or any of that stuff. I have seen people that have dieted on nothing but tuna and water, and get absolutely shredded, but how can you eat that crap all the time? You have to do what works personally for you.
As for Vince Gironda, and Frank Zane...who do you think all these guys looked to for advises? It was Vince "the Iron Guru" and Frank "the Chemist". Everyone was doing what those two recommended. Vince got Arnold into shape when he first came to America. He called him "beach ball belly" all the time when he first got here. Frank doesn't recommend that kind of dieting these days. I have his book Hi Def and he is definitely more balanced nowadays.
If you want to see a legit starting point for your diet watch Lee Labrada's youtube video about what's in his lunchbox. That's a great starting point with a lot of good, suggestions. Balance is very important. Plenty of fresh, natural food will go a long way toward overall health. Simply adjust your calories and cardio to meet your goals.

interesting. Did these have a set diet or was it more like don't eat until you get really hunrgy and then eat some protein?

As for Vince Gironda, and Frank Zane...who do you think all these guys looked to for advises? It was Vince "the Iron Guru" and Frank "the Chemist". Everyone was doing what those two recommended.

Reminds me of an interview with Sergio Oliva where he stated before the 80' Olympia he did the Zane diet and it made him feel and look like shit. :D

You can tell Oliva liked carbs by lookin at him though.

Exactly right. Sergio STILL looked to Frank for guidance even then. Who knows, maybe Sergio needed to get ready more quickly/got too heavy, or something and used low carb. Sergio definitely did not need to go low carb. He was probably one of the most gifted bodybuilders of our day.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as Sergio. I feel terrible on a low carb diet, and it makes me look like shit. I go terribly flat. Of course, I didn't win the genetic lottery like he did when it comes to a bodybuilding physique.

Reminds me of an interview with Sergio Oliva where he stated before the 80' Olympia he did the Zane diet and it made him feel and look like shit. :D

You can tell Oliva liked carbs by lookin at him though.

Well everyone feels shitty on a low carb diet but they just don't seem to realize this/admit it.

Being in true ketosis is another story, that might actually feel good. (general feeling, doesn't correlate with health) I'm talking about TRUE ketosis here though which requires (other than no carbs), very little protein as well.

A theoretical true keto-diet of 2000 kcals would be something like 200 grams of fat, 50 gr protein and no carbs. Not the protein-infested "keto" diets you see nowadays. They might get you in ketosis up and on (like any caloric deficit will) but that's not full bore ketosis.

I have seen people that have dieted on nothing but tuna and water, and get absolutely shredded, but how can you eat that crap all the time? .

Thanks man I will check that video out. The absolute leanest I ever got was back int he late 90s doing the old BFL challenge. I was in college and literally ate the following for 12 weeks with no cheat meals (not one time). I was inside out shredded and even had some professional shots taken. I forget what place I got but I ended up with a free gym bag and some other stuff.

M1: 5 whites +1 yolk + 1/2c oats
M2: 1 chicken breast + 1/3 cup kideny beans
M3: 1 chicken breast + 1/3 cup kideny beans
M4: 1 chicken breast + 1/3 cup kideny beans
M5: 1 chicken breast + 1 cup rice
M6: 5 whites +1 yolk

Cardio: Bill Phillips Cardio Solution (HIT) on a bike 7 days a week.
Supps: ECA back when the E was available at every 7-11.
Super Supps: Ha! You don't need those things. Bill didn't use them and he was jacked.

I had no idea what I was doing but some guy at the gym told me I needed 125 of carbs a day and no fat so that is what I did. I chose kidbey beans because they had protein and I could eat less chicken from Sams Club.

haha! those were the days. Funny thing is I have never been able to get that ripped since using the higher fat diets that people seem to like these days.

The gospel right here.

Well everyone feels shitty on a low carb diet but they just don't seem to realize this/admit it.

Being in true ketosis is another story, that might actually feel good. (general feeling, doesn't correlate with health) I'm talking about TRUE ketosis here though which requires (other than no carbs), very little protein as well.

A theoretical true keto-diet of 2000 kcals would be something like 200 grams of fat, 50 gr protein and no carbs. Not the protein-infested "keto" diets you see nowadays. They might get you in ketosis up and on (like any caloric deficit will) but that's not full bore ketosis.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear