over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Vitamin D and Psoriasis

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
From 18-22 I suffered pretty volatile bursts of psoriasis, in summers it would get really bad, and itch like hell. From the back I would legit look like Deadpool.

Past few years I've been pretty good with supplementing with Vitamin D, and getting sunlight exposure in the summers; and my skin has never been clearer. It's not something I even paid attention to; but was reading some stuff on it, and came across the links of chronically low Vit D levels and psoriasis:

Ironically it was the years I spent bulking and trying to put on maximum muscle while wearing extra long sleeve shirts that this issue was at its peak. Out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure the caloric shove diet didn't help either. Systemic inflammation must've not been pretty

When I dieted, had to wear more tank tops, and be out in the sun; it dissipated slowly and then pretty much completely

Thought it might be worth a share to those who suffer from this; I guess when I had it I never cared, because I was too doughy to show much skin lol ; but I do know it affects a lot of people

I've read it can help eczema as well, which my daughter suffers from.

I ran a research study probably 12 years ago on a vitamin D analog for psoriasis. Nearly every subject was deficient in Vit D. It pales in comparison to monoclonal antibodies for psoriasis treatment. I won't say it has no effect in milder cases. Everyone should maintain Vit D status whether you have psoriasis or not. But this idea is at least 15 years old and was eventually abandoned as an approved pharmaceutical treatment.

Rex.

I had psoriasis for years. Nothing prescribed did much for it.......
When I decided to start use testosterone it cleared up in a matter of weeks and has been gone for at least 15 years......not a trace.

I ran a research study probably 12 years ago on a vitamin D analog for psoriasis. Nearly every subject was deficient in Vit D. It pales in comparison to monoclonal antibodies for psoriasis treatment. I won't say it has no effect in milder cases. Everyone should maintain Vit D status whether you have psoriasis or not. But this idea is at least 15 years old and was eventually abandoned as an approved pharmaceutical treatment.

Rex.

Interesting; had no clue about this

So I suppose it's Vit D's effects on lowering inflammation that would in turn help people? And those that are deficient are therefore more likely to have more inflammation

Didn't know they had mc antibody treatment for it

Past few years I've been pretty good with supplementing with Vitamin D

^^^hey brother ..curious how much are/were you taking?

it seems that most "studies/dr. write ups" suggest that the vast majority of the population is deficient
& you'll find some people supplementing with 1000 ..2000 ..5000 & fewer still with even 10,000

^^^oddly enough "Rx" vitamin D comes in 50,000
& it seems that this is what doctors uses for legitimate treatment of a deficiency

(..i know you'l find articles "discouraging" high dose use ..but that's typical of "talking heads")

just kinda begs the question; are we taking enough?

..might be very beneficial to get to the bottom of this bc vitamin D deficiencies seem to be linked to a myriad of health problems & diseases

^^^hey brother ..curious how much are/were you taking?

it seems that most "studies/dr. write ups" suggest that the vast majority of the population is deficient
& you'll find some people supplementing with 1000 ..2000 ..5000 & fewer still with even 10,000

^^^oddly enough "Rx" vitamin D comes in 50,000
& it seems that this is what doctors uses for legitimate treatment of a deficiency

(..i know you'l find articles "discouraging" high dose use ..but that's typical of "talking heads")

just kinda begs the question; are we taking enough?

..might be very beneficial to get to the bottom of this bc vitamin D deficiencies seem to be linked to a myriad of health problems & diseases

5000 ius ED for a year; hydroxy panel: 36

10000 ius ED for a few months

Then back down to 5000 ius, and plenty of outdoor sun for a few months; hydroxy panel: 54

I spent a lot of time outdoors in the sun this past summer with no sunscreen; don't really recommend this if you're light skinned. I'm darker tanned, and grew up in 100+F heat with ancestry near the equator. Peter Attia discussed Vit D and ancestry on one of his podcasts once; it was all speculative stuff, but the levels that you grew up with, and your ancestry had according to geography is a decent match for where you should sit. Just a theory, but it did pique my interest

Someone with European ancestry in regions that got less sunlight would be different in this regard to me. I'm pretty sure I had super high levels as a little kid playing outside in scorching heat for many many hours; it's also almost impossible for me to get sunburned so theres that :)

Scientists have been attempting to disaccociate the calcemic effects of D for awhile now, in order to harness the particular noncalcemic effects. This is similar to the androgenic/anabolic attempt of disaccociation which you see with Androgens. That way superphysiological dosages of D derivatives may be administered without the calcium issues. I haven't looked into the current state vitamin d derivatives in awhile.

Also, this immune issue concerns prolactin as well, working in tandem with vitamin D, for a bit of a complex relationship. Stewie posted something about prolactin in another thread.

I had the worst and my Dr. put me on Tremfya and everything went away. The new biologicals are amazing.

I know very little about vitamin D and psoriasis so ill just say im glad things are working out well for you.

With respect to vitamin D. For bodybuilders vitamin D can play may significant roles with respect to muscle function/growth and androgen receptor sigaling. Then ofcourse there are tons of other paracrine effects and benefits.

Years ago i was very deficient in vitamin D. I mistakenly thought that 1000iu daily would be enough to keep me in range but i was living in a hospital for basically a decade so not much sunlight. My vitamin D levels back then were like 18. I now take between 5000iu and 10k iu a day depending on time of year and sunlight exposure. My vitamin D levels on blood work for last few years has been between 40-60 which is good for me.

I didn't know about that, but it's another benefit to walking outside: good for your mood, your back health, it'll burn a few calories (typically 1/2 cal/lb/mile, e.g., a 200# person will burn 100 cals/mile), etc.

Glad you posted about this Thinker.

All of the male members of my family have SOME sort of psoriasis. I had been lucky enough to avoid this until these past years. Flare ups on my hands and on my face (face is not fun). But it had always flared up in conjunction with a big blast. Cruise on low doses, nothing...flares go down. Pushing some high stuff, its onnn. I had tried lotions and everything but I'm going to try just plain old Vit D. It had been one of my go-to morning supp for years but dropped it 4 or so years ago ASSUMING i was getting enough sun.
Ill throw it in and see what or if there is a difference on my end.

15 years ago I got psoriasis after having a throat infection, became 70% covered. All topical creams and prescription medication didn’t work and started to look at natural approach in desperation. At same time I was accepted to try UVB treatment at hospital. UVB treatment in slow build up levels worked really well, I used nothing else at the time. When I finished the course and slowly saw psoriasis returning I started researching UV and psoriasis, which led me to Vit D. Supplementing with 10,000-14,000 iu/day for last 13 years or so and no more psoriasis. Stay outside when I can and keep on top of vit d has helped me keep it under control

Also to add I developed psoriatic arthritis and keeping strong in the gym is definitely helping to keep the joints in check. I stop training for a while and the joints start to stiffen and hurt

Not to get off topic but what's the range we want to have our vitamin d range in? Anyone know. I know I was at 46 the last time I had blood work done. I have been taking 5000 IUs, but recently went up to 10,000 IUs due to covid.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131