over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Volume

B-Trotter

Registered
Hi,

Had an interesting discussion with a friend. He thinks that "total weekly volume" is all that matters. So, in his view, you can do 9 sets of exercise(s) for chest, say, on Monday only, or you can do 9 sets of chest spread over, say, 3 sessions within the 7 day period. According to him, this elicits the same adaptations.

Personally, I disagree with this. I'd say the 3 sessions a week scenario would yield superior results, even though total weekly volume is the same. Conversely, another friend thinks that the once weekly session of 9 sets produces better results because "the muscle is stimulated harder" in that one session.

Subjectivity rules, no doubt, but what say you guys?

It's different, let's say you hit chest with 3 rest paused sets on Monday, are you going to be ready by Wednesday to hit it just as hard? I'm talking real, shit your pants to failure sets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It was my experience that training a body part two or three times a week was far superior to just once a week. Short intense training with lower volume multiple times a week far outperformed the longer sessions I did when I was younger.

When you train multiple times with lower volume each session you give the muscle time to recover before hitting it again later in the week. The old saying "stimulate but don't annihilate" holds. Give the muscle enough stimulus to grow and get out of the gym. Come back a few days later and hit it again.

Last edited:
It was my experience that training a body part two or three times a week was far superior to just once a week. Short intense training with lower volume multiple times a week far outperformed the longer sessions I did when I was younger.

When you train multiple times with lower volume each session you give the muscle time to recover before hitting it again later in the week. The old saying "stimulate but don't annihilate" holds. Give the muscle enough stimulus to grow and get out of the gym. Come back a few days later and hit it again.

Fully agree, nice post and from experience.

how many sets were you doing for each.body part? thinking of doing an upper/lower protocol and do 2 to 3 sets each body part 3x per wk.

I like the sound to this approach, how does something like this look for ex.?

1st w/o - Chest/Shoulder(front,side)
Incline Bench 3x12
Reverse Decline 3x12
Behind the neck press 3x12
Side lateral 3x12

2nd w/o - Chest/Shoulder(front,side)
Machine flye 3x12
Db Bench press 3x12
Upright row 3x12
Db press 3x12

how many sets were you doing for each.body part? thinking of doing an upper/lower protocol and do 2 to 3 sets each body part 3x per wk.

Liking a 3 day split. Chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms. Weeks 1-2 3sets each, weeks 3-4 4sets each, weeks 5-6 5sets each.

Shoulders and chest 2 exercises per session. Arms 1 exercise. Back 3 exercises. Legs 3 exercises plus one for calves.

3 days on one day off, 3 days on 2 days off. Repeat.

I could never achieve maxium hyperthrophy with just
a few sets here and there....

I also NEED to be in FULL hyperthophy to go heavy, or everything
just feels like its gonna break....especially when training legs....

I personally think progressive hyperthophy is the only way to train...

:cool:

i do not know which is better, so i try to do both.... I will do a ~2x a week (every 4 days really) program with progressive overload of weight/reps on my favorite compounds....... then when i start to feel my body getting beat up, ill switch to a 1x every ~6-7 days and add sets and sets and sets, all the different angles, squeezes, iso holds, negatives, supersets, mtut, lots of different machines, etc....

my problem always is judging WHEN to deload and switch to the volume ....bc i love going heavy lower volume/higher frequency, but i have small joints and they seem to always become the issue and give me trouble before the muscle stops getting stronger even keeping the reps up 10+ ... by the time i tell myself to switch and actually do it, my body is usually beat to shit and I'm doing rehab training for a few weeks lol...

Hmmm, and thats how DC training is setup

At what point do you introduce twin turbo sets? ;)

Incline Bench 3x12
Reverse Decline 3x12
Side lateral 3x12

Machine flye 3x12
Db Bench press 3x12
Upright row 3x12
Db press 3x12

you didn't ask me but my opinions-
-with low volume you are looking to dump 100% into each set... doing the same weight at same rep range usually isn't 100%, never mind 3 sets...if it was me, i would rather do your 1st workout sets as:
1x 6-12 (if you want to add 2nd set do another fail set at lighter at 10-20).. if you did 315 and FAILED at 12 for your 1st set, you are not going to get 315x12 for sets 2 and 3... unless you didn't really goto true failure...

- Reverse decline bench, and machine flys on the low volume i think could be swapped for better compound exercises to progress on...

My legs shrunk considerably when I stopped training them hard (or at all if I am being honest :( ) When I first started I would train as heavy as I could going very low rep range. couldn't understand why I could squat as much as I could but legs just didn't have the size I wanted. A buddy told me to increase the reps ALOT - and strip the weight until I could do it. Then progressively increase the weight - keeping the reps high. Only way I could get my legs to grow.

Incline Bench 3x12
Reverse Decline 3x12
Side lateral 3x12

Machine flye 3x12
Db Bench press 3x12
Upright row 3x12
Db press 3x12

I know his name is almost like a dirty word around here, but Phil Hernon had me on a simple workout that worked good for me and I had been training for about 20 years prior to that. Only do 3 sets per bodypart except for back which I did 3 sets of barbell rows and 3 of chins. I think 6 sets on chest is overkill especially when you are doing two compound movements. Like Tenny said, if you hit each set to failure and really nail it youre not going to be able to get as much stimulus on sets later on. You are better off going home and healing up. Heal up and then hit that muscle again about 4 days later. I hit each bodypart 2x per week. In this way you are able to lift heavier on each and every set. If you do those 6 sets in your plan, by the time you get to declines your muscles are already fatigued pretty bad and youll have to lower the weight.

After awhile I started throwing in drop sets or rest pause stuff to add more intensity. Try to keep volume low. I tried Mike Mentzer's workout and after 1 week I was fried. Mentzer's heavy duty training if you do it exactly the way he said is insane. I feel like it fried my nervous system in 1 week. Id get the shakes in my legs just sitting on the couch. Muscle twitching etc.

Last edited:
I know his name is almost like a dirty word around here, but Phil Hernon had me on a simple workout that worked good for me and I had been training for about 20 years prior to that. Only do 3 sets per bodypart except for back which I did 3 sets of barbell rows and 3 of chins. I think 6 sets on chest is overkill especially when you are doing two compound movements. Like Tenny said, if you hit each set to failure and really nail it youre not going to be able to get as much stimulus on sets later on. You are better off going home and healing up. Heal up and then hit that muscle again about 4 days later. I hit each bodypart 2x per week. In this way you are able to lift heavier on each and every set. If you do those 6 sets in your plan, by the time you get to declines your muscles are already fatigued pretty bad and youll have to lower the weight.

After awhile I started throwing in drop sets or rest pause stuff to add more intensity. Try to keep volume low. I tried Mike Mentzer's workout and after 1 week I was fried. Mentzer's heavy duty training if you do it exactly the way he said is insane. I feel like it fried my nervous system in 1 week. Id get the shakes in my legs just sitting on the couch. Muscle twitching etc.

Did you do that in a 3on/1off style?

At what point do you introduce twin turbo sets? ;)

always after the working set...

ive been doing a rest pause working set for for a few movements
lately....enjoying it.

then a couple drop set movements for max hyper..

always after the working set...

ive been doing a rest pause working set for for a few movements
lately....enjoying it.

then a couple drop set movements for max hyper..

did you see that article i think Dante posted on the rest pause studies? was pretty cool

ive glanced at them all pretty much...

is it new..???

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member