YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WARM-UP SETS and STRECHING...good or bad? What I do.

I do:
135 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1-2
405 x 1
420 x 7(1st work set)

i feel the singles help me "handle" the weights when i do one. I guess it could be chalked up to priming the nervous system so to speak to prepare it for the lift more so than the muscle

I warmup this way as well. As for other aspects of warmups, I foam roll my back before every workout and try to loosen up my thoracic spine by trying to touch my head to the matt as I roll (if I can't do this, I know that I might want to back off when doing squats, deads, etc). I also do Dante's broomstrick stretch to warmup up the shoulders and improve external rotation (do this for shoulders, chest, and when I'm going to back squat). For legs, I'll do leg swings to the side since I've had some medial glute issues in the past and I might roll my quads/upper glutes as well before or as I do my warmup sets.

i pretty much do what tkav does..but only thing i do differently is ill do a single rep with the weight i plan on doing my working set with also...does anyone think this would technically be counter-productive?

I always warm up the most on my first exercise, but I do one "warm up" set on every exercise I do. My First exercise for chest this week looked like this:

Hammer Iso-Lateral Incline Press
1 Plate - 20 reps
1 Plate - 15 reps
2 Plates - 12 reps
2 Plates - 10 reps
3 Plates (working set) 6 reps

I'm no expert by any means, or even close, but this works for me.

ok it's late and im not on top of my game right now but, I see a lot of people not working up, or warming up to that fact but working down.

If it were me i would lift soft at first
and end hard... not just hard but hard as fuck....

Example.....
High chest...\ incline flye....20-15...40-15...40-12..40-10
Traps..\upright rows....55-25.....135-15.....145....15
Wide lat...\pull ups wide...me...10....me....8...me...10w/help

Better exaple.....
Bench 135/25.....205...15.....275...7.....300....1.....340....1.....375.....1/ now its work 415/5...2...1...1..1/2 static...pulsex12

i don't remember his name but he was a top NPC amateur. he did always a lot of reps
1set 30
2set 20
3set 15
and 4set light the weight and do 20 reps

For a few years now, I only do a single warm-up set for an entire workout. I NEVER stretch.

My warm-up set is always the very first set, at the very beginning of my workout. Then I immediately go into my first workset which is also my heaviest set of the exercise. I do not do a warm-up set for any other exercise except for the first one.

example: warm-up with 135, then 1st workset with 385, etc... etc....

Why? For ME, multiple warm-ups and/or stretching of any kind, etc. and I find that I cannot lift as much weight. Its like warm-ups/stretching exhaust me to a degree and I find that I am more injury prone. So I dont do anymore than that first one. Am I missing out on something here?

Is ANYONE else like this? Please, Im not saying that what I do is right or wrong!!!
th russain have stated tht warm up r no good same as stretching r a better way of saying it tht we dont know how to stretch ,from what little tht i know,dont do warm up ther not needed even th land down under state th same,and some UA country have said th same stop doing warm up,and get rid of most cardio workout they break th body down,hopes this help

UPDATE

Ive gone back and revisited the warm up technique you all posted about and I have to say that after 2 weeks now, I really like it much better than what I was doing.

So this is what Ive done..

135x10ish
225x4
275x1
325x1
1st workset 375x7

Im keeping the staggered reps involved on the first workset and I am feeling much better. Thank you all!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws