YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WARM-UP SETS and STRECHING...good or bad? What I do.

Ness

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For a few years now, I only do a single warm-up set for an entire workout. I NEVER stretch.

My warm-up set is always the very first set, at the very beginning of my workout. Then I immediately go into my first workset which is also my heaviest set of the exercise. I do not do a warm-up set for any other exercise except for the first one.

example: warm-up with 135, then 1st workset with 385, etc... etc....

Why? For ME, multiple warm-ups and/or stretching of any kind, etc. and I find that I cannot lift as much weight. Its like warm-ups/stretching exhaust me to a degree and I find that I am more injury prone. So I dont do anymore than that first one. Am I missing out on something here?

Is ANYONE else like this? Please, Im not saying that what I do is right or wrong!!!

I have done always the same thing, and don't know if it's right or wrong.... but after my latest injury, I'll be warming up and stretching afterwards to a much greater extent from now on. Warming up and stretching will increase gains in the long run I would assume to.

good timing for this thread

Yesterday, i actually did two warm up sets for first chest exercise (1st warm up set light then 2nd warm up set moderately heavy) so 3rd set was my "working set."
i did it cuz i have been out of the gym a while and strength is down so didn't really know what to put on the bar. Plus, i kinda have a shoulder injury and wanted to be careful. And i will admit i saw Dorian do it in his training video on bb.com:D
i would never stretch until workout is done. stretching makes me weaker and is safer to do post exercise right....?
anyway, i kinda liked it. i also read a study in Muscle and Fitness (recent one with Sly on the cover) that said two groups of men did pyramid up with weights and other group pyrimid down and the group that progressively loaded weight with each set increased strength more after 12 weeks than the guys that pyramid down. so i thought i would give it a try.
i am gonna try this type of warm up for a good 3 months and see how it works.

i don't think i answered you at all lol:banghead:
oh well, as always i will let you know how it goes.
-JS

Last edited:
i like it, but one more w/u set at the beginning. maybe occasionally another if I am changing bodyparts, ie chest into tri's. will warm up the elbows a little first b4 going heavy, but overall, same for me. last w/o felt no pain during warm up, everything felt easy, did another warmup set, didn't get my numbers for the working set. :( always happens when I do too many, weakness, everytime
-c

Usually I only stretch. For me too much warming up and too much stretching takes away from my max. Of course right now I"m not really maxing out. Just back a couple of weeks since the surgery. Not saying it's right or wrong. I am sure others will disagree. I'm just not a warm up man. Just a stretch and jump right in. I would think one single warm up is fine. I'm no expert though.

For a few years now, I only do a single warm-up set for an entire workout. I NEVER stretch.

Last edited:
I'm not doing this now but you would have called me the "warm up king" in the past.

Like on incline bench: 30 to 60 seconds rest in 50% of this then 90 to 120seconds in the heavier weight.
15 reps bar
15 reps 135
10 reps 185
10 reps 225
8-10 reps 245
6-8 reps 265
6-8 reps 285
3-6 reps 305 my top weight. I will do 2 or 3 sets

So, to answer the question is this right or wrong? Well, it has been right for me I have a very well developed chest full and high. Could I have done it with 50% less warm up????? I'm guessing yes with what I know now.

only the first warm up set should be done for higher reps. if my 1st working set was going to be 385 i would do the following progression.........
135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever
this way your not shocking the muscles, tendons and ligaments with such a drastic jump and not doing a shitload of reps on the way up either.

only the first warm up set should be done for higher reps. if my 1st working set was going to be 385 i would do the following progression.........
135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever
this way your not shocking the muscles, tendons and ligaments with such a drastic jump and not doing a shitload of reps on the way up either.

pretty good strategy there...
-JS

135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever

This is the way I do it as well. Usually 3 warmup sets, increasing in weight and decreasing in reps.

135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever

This is almost the exact way I do mine as well. Just how I was brought up and taught to lift. Ive been put in situations and done other routines that asked for a more dramatic increase like the first post read going from one warmup set of 135 all the way to like 375 and hurt myself almost every time. I do know everyones body is different though so what works for me will not work for the next. But IMO i'd rather save my body then lift that weight.

135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever

This is similiar to what I do, except I'll stay with a few more reps to really get the feel of the weight. before hitting the top weight

Same.....

135 x 15
225 x3
295 x1
350 x1
385 x whatever

At least for squats... If I don't warm up like this my knees feel VERY tight and weak and SHAKE like crazy on my first set (I too do my heaviest set first)... Every other exercise after I can go straight into it.

Stretching: VERY light before but A LOT after: 2 stretches (extreme for fascia) held for 30 seconds each per body part.

My warm-up set is always the very first set, at the very beginning of my workout. Then I immediately go into my first workset which is also my heaviest set of the exercise. I do not do a warm-up set for any other exercise except for the first one.

example: warm-up with 135, then 1st workset with 385, etc... etc....

Why? For ME, multiple warm-ups and/or stretching of any kind, etc. and I find that I cannot lift as much weight. Its like warm-ups/stretching exhaust me to a degree and I find that I am more injury prone. So I dont do anymore than that first one. Am I missing out on something here?

Is ANYONE else like this? Please, Im not saying that what I do is right or wrong!!!

I do:
135 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1-2
405 x 1
420 x 7(1st work set)

i feel the singles help me "handle" the weights when i do one. I guess it could be chalked up to priming the nervous system so to speak to prepare it for the lift more so than the muscle

Ive done single rep pyramid warm-ups. I prefer and still do staggered reps for the heaviest worksets of the exercise.

Perhaps staggering my reps is similar in effect as the one-rep ramp up. Eh?

Yes

I do:
135 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1-2
405 x 1
420 x 7(1st work set)

i feel the singles help me "handle" the weights when i do one. I guess it could be chalked up to priming the nervous system so to speak to prepare it for the lift more so than the muscle

I think thats perfect!

Ive done single rep pyramid warm-ups. I prefer and still do staggered reps for the heaviest worksets of the exercise.

Perhaps staggering my reps is similar in effect as the one-rep ramp up. Eh?

i THINK, the whole process serves to get your nervous system firing properly, same with the staggered reps. i could be wron, gotta ask phil...lol

i "warm up".. but mainly for the fact of getting the movement down and seeing if every thing is doing "ok".. i think doing the numerous high rep warm ups is counter productive (pumping fatigue products into the muscle ect).. i do 1 set of a higher rep scheme.. about 12 - 15.. the second is about 6 reps just doing the movement properly.. if the exercise feels a bit off i will try and do another "feel" set to work it out.. if it still feels off.. we go to another exercise..

I do:
135 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1-2
405 x 1
420 x 7(1st work set)

do you do this sort of warm up before each exercise?

Or just the first exercise, and going straight into the heaviest sets of the other exercises just like a few of them above are doing?

I do:
135 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1-2
405 x 1
420 x 7(1st work set)

Like this for Squats, for other bodyparts it is 3 or 2 warm ups, depending on my weight for the first Training set.

And never stretch before as it takes the tension out an you are weaker.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear