over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Watch out for the fall updat to Windows 10, 2018

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...g-october-2018-update-rollout-says-microsoft/

Apparently it was bad enough that they took it off the updates, cant even do it manually now thank goodness. This article talks about how it wiped some users' pictures and documents. Some lost thousands of files.

Regardless of what happens, back up your PC before you update. Do a full system image. You have to go into Windows 7 backup to do that, its an option. I haven't seen any other way to do it.

another update earlier this week

There was a small security update early this week and I installed that with no problems, the fall update appears to still be held back after this initial failed release.

On the Windows 10 Pro OS you are able to go into updates and I think it is under advanced set it so you can delay update for up to 360 days and other updates 30 days or so. I set those as late as you can so that when it comes back out I will wait awhile before I jump in. Better to let the rest of the public be guinea pigs.

I have no problems with it.

I have no problems with it.

That is good. You installed the Fall Update before they took it down? How did you do it? Off the Microsoft site manually or did you just have Windows do it automatically? From what I have read, many of the issues came up for those that did it manually. Don't know if there is anything to it. Some guys on Steam were complaining about a drop in gaming performance on their machines.

That is good. You installed the Fall Update before they took it down? How did you do it? Off the Microsoft site manually or did you just have Windows do it automatically? From what I have read, many of the issues came up for those that did it manually. Don't know if there is anything to it. Some guys on Steam were complaining about a drop in gaming performance on their machines.

Maybe its working good because I don't play games :D

Maybe its working good because I don't play games :D

Well, the really big thing that made them take it offline was how to deleted some users' pictures and documents. Serious problem there. People lost years of pictures. They probably should have had them backed up, but doing an update shouldn't erase that. In at least one case the pictures weren't even on the main drive with windows (C), they were on a secondary hard drive. It is almost as if it sought out the pictures and erased them.

I hate windows ten, Im still using 7 on a brand newly built computer LOL

Ive been quite happy with it, other than I don't really like the way it forces updates on you. I now have mine set to stop updates for a few more weeks. I want to be sure the new fall update has been debugged more.

Anyone downloaded it lately?

Im still putting my pcs on hold, at least the ones I can. My daughters have two laptops that aren't WIndows pro so you cant hold off updates.

None of our pcs has even showed the fall update as being available, which is fine with me. It looks like maybe Microsoft still has the update offline because of the issues it had earlier. I haven't checked online to see if you can manually download it. I just use the auto feature in Windows 10.

So has anyone installed the 2018 Fall Update recently, since I started this thread?

If there was a problem, you'd hear about it, the vast majority of people are auto installing all updates are have zero issues, myself included on all 4 devices running win10.

If there was a problem, you'd hear about it, the vast majority of people are auto installing all updates are have zero issues, myself included on all 4 devices running win10.

Well, there was a huge problem if you look back to my original post, there is a link. Big issues.

If yours is on auto and you really don't pay attention, I am willing to bet that if you look at the history page of your updates you may not see the 2018 fall update listed. They took it down early because of all of the problems and I think that it isn't back up yet. Chances are you don't have it yet, and that is a good thing.

If you look and see you have it, come back and let us know.

Once you go Mac you never go back :headbang:

Once you go Mac you never go back :headbang:

Are their OS updates really less buggy than Microsoft's? Im talking about their desktop PCs, not phones. I owned an Apple IIe back in the 80s and it was great for its time. The Apple PCs today have just about no game software available. Pretty much kills it for me.

I use a MacBook pro ( laptop) at home and never experience a problem with the updates. It's a 2011 model and still rocking, although wifey bought me a new one for Xmas. Gaming wise I haven't a clue on that front.

Oh, I can't stand their phones, so I use an Android.

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread was still alive. So far 2019 has been good and I haven't had any problems. One thing I do now is set Windows to put off all updates for about 1 month, that's the longest windows will let you do it. That is an option under advanced options in the Windows Update settings. So I set it for that and then about once a month I will get my updates, instead of installing them as soon as they are available. I think this setting is only available on the Windows 10 Pro and not on the home edition.

By making the PC wait to install, you give Microsoft time to test the updates in the field and make patches if need be. I feel like so many times that Microsoft just uses the public to beta test their software. I prefer now to let others test it for me, and then I will install it! Im the same way with my PC games. Right now I am playing 2017 games, playing older ones allows time to work out the bugs and patches happen to fix them. By the time I play it the games are more polished. Prices cheaper too when you buy the games a year old or so, plus your hardware doesnt have to be cutting edge to play all the settings on full. Dont want to play the games too old though because then you will have problems with the game working with the newer hardware/software.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is due out on PC at Steam on December 5th. That will be a good one.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131