over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Water Retention from Excess Sodium - Potassium Supplementation

sub7percent

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Hi Guys - let me caveat that I have very little knowledge in the area of water weight manipulation. What I am trying to understand is how to reduce the bloat I get for a few days after having some high sodium meals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand supplementing with extra potassium can help this.

The question is, what do I supplement with? I see Potassium Gluconate tabs dosed at 99mg each, but compared to a banana or a bottle of coconut water that amount seems like nothing. Correct? Am I missing something here?

I have read that dandelion root helps with getting rid of water retention. Haven't yet tried it myself.

Potassium can help but don't take an excessive amount or else you risk nasty muscle cramps.

16oz of coconut water has 800mgs potassium

Yea I just picked up some low sodium v8. 6 servings each serving has 900mg potassium which is the cost of one serving of coconut water with 8-900mg in it. I love coconut water though I mix it with dextrose and vanilla whey post workout sometimes.

Anyway, question is also related to potassium gluconate supplementation and why it's dosed at 99mg per tab. Also if anyone has experience w this w respect to sodium induced water retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't, as people who weight train and bodybuild, all of our meals have salt/sodium? If they do and should be you shouldn't be holding any extra fluid from extra sodium containing meals. Your body just flushes excess. So in your case you should be salting all meals (unless you have Bp issues) or our meals are higher calories too and you're not putting on extra water...it's extra fat.

Lots of water and lots of sodium all the time = you're not holding extra water

Just going to throw this out there. Guys running an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure probably shouldn't supplement with a lot of excess potassium so be cognizant of that. See hyperkalaemia.

Last edited:
As in most things large doses of potassium can have a negative impact on the heart and kidneys.

Yea I just picked up some low sodium v8. 6 servings each serving has 900mg potassium which is the cost of one serving of coconut water with 8-900mg in it. I love coconut water though I mix it with dextrose and vanilla whey post workout sometimes.

Anyway, question is also related to potassium gluconate supplementation and why it's dosed at 99mg per tab. Also if anyone has experience w this w respect to sodium induced water retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the reason for the dosage cap is due to the risk of hyperkalemia. So you would have to take a crapload of pills to run into trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Usually for me 1 high sodium meal doesn't make me hold that much water if I've been dieting. For me it actually seems to pull water into the muscle and make me more vascular. If I do notice to be spilling terribly I just sleep it off. I usually get up to pee a few times a night so I lose around 5 pounds over night.

I don't think playing with potassium is smart. Just hop back on a low carb diet and keep your sodium normal and it should even it itself out within the next day

thanks guys for your replies.

so lets say this... i go on vacation where im going to be on the beach / at the pool and eating out all the time (which may generally be high sodium foods). Would supplementing with potassium with and around these meals help reduce the bloat from them? I've noticed now that I am really lean, when I eat a meal with excess sodium in it I really blow up and its uncomfortable.

it's not water, you're just fat

hahaha that's what Aceto says ! that's one of his classic lines ' I am going to bring some reality into the picture here for you. You are not holding water believe me you are just fat.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws