over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Waxy Maize.....proper use?

Mr OZ said:
i had been taking in PWO about 80gms protein mixed with about 70gms WM and some BCAA, so that near enough to 50/50 which accordign to Trop is slowing down the absorption of the WM

do you reckon a better option would be to have the WM staright after training with water (with BCAA? or without?)

then when i get home (approx 15mins) have the 80gm protein shake

I don't really know that there have been any studies done on the subject. But what I have seen is that the high molecular weight of the WM, which lowers the osmolality of the "solution," is what is the real benefit.
Since it seems that blood sugar levels, and insulin levels don't vary to any great degree between WM and other sugar sources (at least in the study I'm referencing here), the researchers had to assume the conclusion that the increased rate of glycogen storage was due to the osmolality/molecular weight of the WM.

Aminos have a MUCH lower molecular weight, in the low 100's, compared to 500,000-750,000 of WM. So, you can see why I feel that adding too many amino based nutrients would lower the total molecular weight enough to alter the effects.

troponin said:
I separate the WM from a meal. I will take it at least 1.5 hours after a meal, and at least 20min before a meal.
I don't use protein powder with it, only BCAA's and Leucine.
so say you wanted to add a scoop to each meal, you would do it 20 mins prior to your meal?

db006 said:
so say you wanted to add a scoop to each meal, you would do it 20 mins prior to your meal?

That would work well, provided it didn't cut your appetite so you couldn't eat the meal.

I usually set it up in between meals. About 1.5 hours after a meal, and 1 hour before a meal.

troponin said:
I'm often taking in over 200g of carbs in that little window, so there is VERY little likelyhood that any protein I eat will be used for gluconeogenesis.

Remember that carbs are protein sparing, the more carbs you eat, the less protein you will need to actively stimulate protein synthesis. I think a lot of people believe they are carb sensitive because when they increase the amount of carbs they eat, they keep the protein the same......so they just end up adding a ton of calories, which will cause fat gain.

If you total it up, I'm eating over 50g of protein between the BCAA's, Leucine, and the whey isolate.

I also include a shake of 25-30g whey isolate with 10g BCAA's about 30min before my workout.

Gotcha--thanks for the explanation. As a "carb sensitive" chump preoccupied with consuming mass quantities of protein every time I put anything in my mouth, you've given me cause to rethink the breakdown of my PWO feeding.

Thanks again,

spleen

alright im going to start splitting up my waxy maise and PWO shake,

im thinking water, 70-80gms WM and 5grams BCAA taken as soon as i finish my workout then 80gm WPI shake when i get home (approx 15 mins)

any comments or does that sound about right?

the WM shake probably tastes a bit foul

Mr OZ said:
alright im going to start splitting up my waxy maise and PWO shake,

im thinking water, 70-80gms WM and 5grams BCAA taken as soon as i finish my workout then 80gm WPI shake when i get home (approx 15 mins)

any comments or does that sound about right?

the WM shake probably tastes a bit foul

80grams is a lot of protein at once IMO.

The waxy maize shake doesnt taste foul at all by itself in water...it has no taste really, just kind of a chalky texture.

Yeah, 50 to 60 grams is probably plenty in one shot.

Here is a question:

Do you guys think that adding crystal light to the WM would slow absorption. I have done this before and I still felt muscles tightening but I will take it out of the equation if it will slow absorption.

Also, is glutamine peptide absorbed faster than L-glutamine?

If that whole 80g of protein is from whey, that might be a bit much. There is a definite limit to how much protein you can utilize at any one time, which is obviously different for each person, and each situation.....
The thing with 80g of whey is, you more than likely won't be able to utilze 80g in one shot. The excess protein will probably converted to sugar, and potentially fat, since there is already an abundance of carbs from the WM.

You might be able to assimilate 80g of protein over a 2.5-3 hour period though. So, if you had 40g of protein, followed by 40g of protein 1.5 hours later, you would still get 80g of protein down before your next meal, but will likely have a better chance of synthesizing more of it as new muscle.

This is just my views though, there are a million ways to get similar results, I'm just giving my little view.

I don't think the crystal light would have much effect on the absorption of the WM. It will be such a small amount of crystal light added to help the flavor.

Cool. Thanks again for your help Trop!!!!! ;)

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner