over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

waxy maize

buselmo

Banned
can someone please tell me the difference between waxy maize and regular cornstarch? :confused:

still, that doesn't say anything about the difference. from the brief searches i've made, waxy maize is basically 100% amylopectin, which gives it the high molecular weight. and regular cornstarch is 25% amylose, and 75% amylopectin.
http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/0196CS.html

in the article you gave, HMW carbs are those that are more than 500,000 g/mol... amylopectin is said to be between 50-500 million g/mol
**broken link removed**
I would think 75% amylopectin in the cornstarch would put it in the HMW carb category. don't you think?

My guess is that cornstarch would have an osmalality much lower due to the increase in amylose content. It will more than likely pull more water into the intestines causing GI distress imo. I've never used it though, cornstarch that is. I know that the 25% doesn't seem like much, but it can have a profound effect on the osmalality and the way it is digested and abosrbed. To make matters worse, the 25% of amylose is resistant starch, meaning it cannot be broken down by enzymatic reaction, thus the further it sits in the stomach, the more distress it will cause. To add on to that, the further it travels downt he GI tract, especially the colon, the more it will serve as a feeding ground for intestinal bacteria, thus causing gas and discomfort.

You can give it a try. I see a lot of guys state they will try the cornstarch idea out, but I never hear an outcome after that. I'm sure if it were successful, you would hear more about it on the boards though.

BMJ

My guess is that cornstarch would have an osmalality much lower due to the increase in amylose content. It will more than likely pull more water into the intestines causing GI distress imo. I've never used it though, cornstarch that is. I know that the 25% doesn't seem like much, but it can have a profound effect on the osmalality and the way it is digested and abosrbed. To make matters worse, the 25% of amylose is resistant starch, meaning it cannot be broken down by enzymatic reaction, thus the further it sits in the stomach, the more distress it will cause. To add on to that, the further it travels downt he GI tract, especially the colon, the more it will serve as a feeding ground for intestinal bacteria, thus causing gas and discomfort.

You can give it a try. I see a lot of guys state they will try the cornstarch idea out, but I never hear an outcome after that. I'm sure if it were successful, you would hear more about it on the boards though.

BMJ

That's the kind of answer i'm looking for! thanks, BMJ.

I don't know if i'm going to try it or not... just wanted to think outloud here. i tried waxy maize before (twice), and i didn't notice much of a difference (but this was 2 years ago. maybe i was doing something wrong... id on't know)... a friend of mine ordered a 10 lb tub but customs wouldn't let it in and he was bitching about it, so i told him i'll try to find the difference between cornstarch and WM... anyway, i'll see if he wants to try the cornstarch. probably won't. i wouldn't want to imaging drinking 75 grams of that stuff. ekh...

throw in 50grams of waxymaize with 50 grams of whey isolate powder directly after your workout and you will see a difference.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear