YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

way to figure out max without doing singles?

billy34

Newbies
hi all and happy new year
if memory serves correct there is a formula to figure out one's max without doing singles. say for example, five reps. can anyone help me out?
thanks!

divide your 5rm by .85 or your 3rm by .9, should be pretty close.

Go do some doubles and singles. If your really curious train powerlifter style for 16 weeks and then youll have a really good idea. Plus its fun!

Here's an equation to use;

(weight) x (reps) x .0333 + (weight) = YOUR ESTIMATED MAX

So, let's say you bench . . or military press . . or squat 150 for a MAXIMUM of 8 reps - let's plug it in (giggity);

150 x 8 x .0333 + 150 = YOUR ESTIMATED MAX

It is not your max unless you actually lift it, based on your training you should have a good idea, from there you have to do singles....why can't you do singles? The only way to know is to just do it.

I personally do not believe those formulas. They will certainly give a ballpark figure. I got guys on the bench that can rep 225 for 15 but cant hit 3 plates for a single and 300# benchers not getting 8 on 2 plates. We all have different fibers- fast and slow twitch and ya never quite know which will be dominant. I been training myself and other world class champions for over 20 years and get Pro Football players ready for combines. Each individual is different. Only way to get a max is do a max. Period. Another daily example is that I got 500# benchers (linemen weighing 300) who cant rep 225 for 25. I got rookies (RB's tight ends etc) reppin 2 plates for 30- which is good but 4 plates would crush em. I had the prvledge of training for years with one of the strongest squatters of all time- Steve Goggins. He hit over 1000# in competition at 220#. He struggled with 405 for 10. I do and see this everday. Its my livelyhood so when I see those rep charts on the walls I explain during our first meeting that they are good as an indicator. WHEN YOU HIT A SINGLE FOR A MAX YOU GOT A VERY IMPORTANT (IF NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE LIFT- ITS CALLED ADRENALINE.Not to sound arrogant- although it will- I have seen it all. Unbelievable acts of strength in the weight room and quite a bit of falures based on these so called charts constructed by some pencil neck physiologist trying to equate something that is impossible.

Last edited:
I personally do not believe those formulas. They will certainly give a ballpark figure. I got guys on the bench that can rep 225 for 15 but cant hit 3 plates for a single and 300# benchers not getting 8 on 2 plates. We all have different fibers- fast and slow twitch and ya never quite know which will be dominant. I been training myself and other world class champions and get Pro Football players ready for combines. Each individual is different. Only way to get a max is do a max. Period.

Makes sense.

Get some good spotters on a day ya feel real good- proper sleep, food etc and go for it. Whats the worst that will happen- ya miss it? So ya go for it again and record it, analyze it and get it! Then further set your goals. My first competition I did 385 on bench raw at 178 (First ever Golds Gym Classic in Summer of 1998- I won the open division). 4 years and 50 or so - yes 50 competitions later I did 600 at 197. That was my goal. I set a world record and then hung it up. I thought about reaching that every day and night. The mind is the most powerful tool you have. Not some chart posted on every HS gym for kids- amongst other places. Now at 42 (at about 200#)I can rep 225 for 50, 315 for 15, 405 for 8. So whats my max? I dont know or care really. But I do know that it does not correlate with any chart. My BMI is near 30. So that makes me obese on paper. But I got 6% Bf. Charts for he most part are non scientific rubbish.

Last edited:
Get some good spotters on a day ya feel real good- proper sleep, food etc and go for it. Whats the worst that will happen- ya miss it? So ya go for it again and record it, analyze it and get it! Then further set your goals. My first competition I did 385 on bench raw at 178 (First ever Golds Gym Classic in Summer of 1998- I won the open division). 4 years and 50 or so - yes 50 competitions later I did 600 at 197. That was my goal. I set a world record and then hung it up. I thought about reaching that every day and night. The mind is the most powerful tool you have. Not some chart posted on every HS gym for kids- amongst other places. Now at 42 (at about 200#)I can rep 225 for 50, 315 for 15, 405 for 8. So whats my max? I dont know or care really. But I do know that it does not correlate with any chart. My BMI is near 30. So that makes me obese on paper. But I got 6% Bf. Charts for he most part are non scientific rubbish.

Nice numbers on the bench for 42 years old
I am 40 and hitting 325 for 6
what is your height and weight?

he

5'7 on a good day a hair under 200 6% or so BF. Confident I could break some open records as we speak. I dont do shirts. Hate seein a guy bench 315 raw suddenly bench mid 5's shirted. That aint bench. Look at raw all time record with Mendelsohn. A touch and go- at best at 715. Yhen ya got Kennelly hittin close to 1100 is it- maybe more I dont keep ip? Thats 400 lbs of shit. So I quit. I would do some raw meets but fuck it i did my thing. Had a WR for 6 years. Good nuff. I was blackballed from the sport. Dropped my sponsors such as Titan, Inzer and Karins shirts. Hate shirts they dilute the sport. Just get on the dam bench and press it up! I was bad mothing equipment and still will. Its shit. Your bench is what ya do RAW. Stronger than I ever been luckiy no injuries. I teach and am paid by NFL to teach rookies or wannabees how to bench properly. Here I am a measly 200 lb guy showing athletes 80% heavier than me proper form and technique. Trained and taught some of the best.Think the record stands with Larry Allen from Dallas at 42 reps 2 plates weighing high 2's if not 300. Ill do 50 on any given day. And yes those mofos juice and HGH but are forewarned about testing. I must keep my anonymity or I am outta 20,000 a year. An example is set each year- a scapegoat to make the public happy. I am personal family friends with the owner of a current playoff team. All ill say is GO BIRDS! Safe to say cause there are a few birds left. I dont do agility, speed or endurance or lab work. For 6 years I leave my family and business for 8 weeks. I typically see a 50% average increase in strength. Most is form and technique. They got the brute strength. I just hone it in. I wonder about college strenghth conditioning coaches. Really. Average 2 plate bench for reps when I get em is 20 by the bigger guys. I get em to 30.

Nice numbers on the bench for 42 years old
I am 40 and hitting 325 for 6
what is your height and weight?

he
Ya got some nice numbers as well. What are your stats? Ya live in south? Train sometime. Ive had the same lift off guy for 13 years.

5'7 on a good day a hair under 200 6% or so BF. Confident I could break some open records as we speak. I dont do shirts. Hate seein a guy bench 315 raw suddenly bench mid 5's shirted. That aint bench. Look at raw all time record with Mendelsohn. A touch and go- at best at 715. Yhen ya got Kennelly hittin close to 1100 is it- maybe more I dont keep ip? Thats 400 lbs of shit. So I quit. I would do some raw meets but fuck it i did my thing. Had a WR for 6 years. Good nuff. I was blackballed from the sport. Dropped my sponsors such as Titan, Inzer and Karins shirts. Hate shirts they dilute the sport. Just get on the dam bench and press it up! I was bad mothing equipment and still will. Its shit. Your bench is what ya do RAW. Stronger than I ever been luckiy no injuries. I teach and am paid by NFL to teach rookies or wannabees how to bench properly. Here I am a measly 200 lb guy showing athletes 80% heavier than me proper form and technique. Trained and taught some of the best.Think the record stands with Larry Allen from Dallas at 42 reps 2 plates weighing high 2's if not 300. Ill do 50 on any given day. And yes those mofos juice and HGH but are forewarned about testing. I must keep my anonymity or I am outta 20,000 a year. An example is set each year- a scapegoat to make the public happy. I am personal family friends with the owner of a current playoff team. All ill say is GO BIRDS! Safe to say cause there are a few birds left. I dont do agility, speed or endurance or lab work. For 6 years I leave my family and business for 8 weeks. I typically see a 50% average increase in strength. Most is form and technique. They got the brute strength. I just hone it in. I wonder about college strenghth conditioning coaches. Really. Average 2 plate bench for reps when I get em is 20 by the bigger guys. I get em to 30.

Your posts are wicked to read, glad that you are on this board and that you are sharing this with us, thanks for that.

I personally do not believe those formulas. They will certainly give a ballpark figure. I got guys on the bench that can rep 225 for 15 but cant hit 3 plates for a single and 300# benchers not getting 8 on 2 plates. We all have different fibers- fast and slow twitch and ya never quite know which will be dominant. I been training myself and other world class champions for over 20 years and get Pro Football players ready for combines. Each individual is different. Only way to get a max is do a max. Period. Another daily example is that I got 500# benchers (linemen weighing 300) who cant rep 225 for 25. I got rookies (RB's tight ends etc) reppin 2 plates for 30- which is good but 4 plates would crush em. I had the prvledge of training for years with one of the strongest squatters of all time- Steve Goggins. He hit over 1000# in competition at 220#. He struggled with 405 for 10. I do and see this everday. Its my livelyhood so when I see those rep charts on the walls I explain during our first meeting that they are good as an indicator. WHEN YOU HIT A SINGLE FOR A MAX YOU GOT A VERY IMPORTANT (IF NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE LIFT- ITS CALLED ADRENALINE.Not to sound arrogant- although it will- I have seen it all. Unbelievable acts of strength in the weight room and quite a bit of falures based on these so called charts constructed by some pencil neck physiologist trying to equate something that is impossible.

excellent post. the only way to know is to do it. throw those formulas in the garbage. some people are more fast twitch than others in certain areas of the body.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear