over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

wearing a belt

M

moose

How many of you wear a belt when squating or deadlifting or both when training moderate to heavy?

always on deads and squats, even heavy shrugs

I never do...unless I am close to max weight. I like the fact that my lower back is strong and can handle the weight that I squat or shrug. I had a herniated disc back in the day and I wore one then, but when it all healed, I slowly got off the use of the belt to keep my lower back strong.

If you have an injury, I recommend one when you get to 50% of your max, but when you are handling the lighter weights to warm-up, it is good to get those muscles strong again and not rely on belt for the support...to me I feel that the back will not get stronger wearing a belt for all movements.

I use one on squats, deads, heavy rows-when I get up to about 50% max also.
Better safe than sorry, bottom line!

I never wear one...ever. In my opinion, if the weight I'm lifting is putting me in enough danger that I need something to support me, then it's too heavy.

no belt

I never wear a belt, when lifting and I find that it helps to really build core strength.
Magnus ver is 41 years old and he doesnt wear a belt.
He doesnt wear one even when he deadlifts 800 for reps.

I know this is off topic...

When you said core strength I keep thinking of that picture of that guy squatting on a swissball. Just made me giggle a little. I do use a belt, on and off. Later.

i use one on lifts that put stress on my lower back, but only at about 50% max, i think if you don't were one you will develop a thicker waist

that's a good thought bolo, I never thought about it that way before.

I wear a belt for one, and only one exercise - the bent-over barbell row.

My logic is this: I am lifing a heavy weight in a ver yprone position. Therefore, better safe than sorry...

I don't want my lower back to be the "weakest link" in that exercise.

Use to only use a belt only on squats. Now I use them for squats, deads and rows. Lets me handle more weight without the risk of a lower back injury and I think it helps from a posture standpoint on some of the lifts as well (keeps me from rounding my back).

DrG

I believe that if your form is good (a belt seems to compensate for poor form) and you're not doing a max lift/single, you're better off not wearing a belt - I don't.

Your waist, lower back and midsection muscles (that you are taking out of the equation by using a belt) are not getting strengthened. If you want to get stronger, those ancillary muscle must also get stronger. Kinda like having a bad back (the typical bad - not injured back) and not doing situps cause your back is bad. Doing situps (mild/moderate) would help strengthen the back but avoiding them just keeps weakening the back.

Come on - its not like you arent using the muscles (core midsection) at all just because you have a belt on! It just gives that extra support and stabilazation. When I squat I still tighten the shit out of my back and stomach. Your low back gets no work on 500lb+ deadlifts because of a belt? Give me a break!

Give me some feed back on this:

I quit using a belt 15 years ago. I prefer lifting without straps wraps, belts etc. This has never been a problem until recently. I have been preparing to compete in a state powerlifting comp. So I have been doing more deads and squats over 500lbs.
A few weeks back I experienced some inner-abdominal pain following a tough set of deads. About a week later I noticed that I have a little hernia popping out right next to my naval. I can pop it back in easily and it doesn't bother me much at this time.
Question: Could I have avoided this with a belt? Will wearing a belt prevent it from growing?
Thx
KH

A belt won't offer much protection from a hernia. When you're doing heavy deads, or squats, you're still going to be flexing the hell out of your abs. The flexion can cause a hernia with, or without a belt. And a belt definitely won't prevent a hernia from worsening. If I were you I'd get to a doctor now and start seeing about getting that thing fixed if for no other reason than the thought of my intestines poking through my abdominal wall would make me feel....weird.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity