over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Weightlifting Belts

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How many of you wear a belt all the time (during workouts)? I just used one during squats or stiff leg deads. I have heard you should use one all the time. Any thoughts?

I heard the same thing but I don't do it. I mainly throw it on just for squats and not until it starts getting heavy.

the purpose of a belt is to absorb some of the stress placed on your lower back. well isnt the reason for training heavy to stress muscles and hence cause growth? in my opinion wearing a belt all the time will weaken your back leading to injuries. i NEVER wear a belt, i deadlift and squat weekly and have NEVER once in my life had a back injury.

the purpose of a belt is to absorb some of the stress placed on your lower back. well isnt the reason for training heavy to stress muscles and hence cause growth? in my opinion wearing a belt all the time will weaken your back leading to injuries. i NEVER wear a belt, i deadlift and squat weekly and have NEVER once in my life had a back injury.

I agree.

Besides, recently I decided to start wearing a belt "just in case", and the amount of reps I could complete dropped drastically.

That being said, when performing rack deads for 5 or 6 reps, I will wear a belt. Squats and deadlifts? Naw.

darmhok is correct, wearing a lifting belt is nothing more than falsew econmoy. It will copmpromise your torso stability in the long run. When ever yopu pick up a load which is sufficient enough to cause stress on all the torso muscles and especially around your waist, you are strengthening them for the next lift. Anything you wear around your waist to take the load insted of your torso stabilizers is begging for a weakening of these critical muscles.

Last edited:
darmhok is correct, wearing a lifting belt is nothing more than falsew econmoy. It will copmpromise your torso stability in the long run. When ever yopu pick up a load which is sufficient enough to cause stress on all the torso muscles and especially around your waist, you are strengthening them for the next lift. Anything you wear around your waist to take the load insted of your torso stabilizers is begging for a weakening of these critical muscles.

LOL thats what i wanted to say but you said it much better and worded it eloquently

I agree with D and Oldfella. I never wear a belt for lifting. If you leave your ego at the door, practice good form, and progress gradually, then you will never need a belt.

Ya know what, I've been training since my early teens with the guys on my football team, we had 1 belt and passed it around when guys were squatting. Nowadays, I don't put it on til things get heavy, and I squat, for reps, with perfect form, in the high 4's, might not be heavy for some but it's good enough for me, and I know I could go higher but I don't, so I don't fall into that 'ego' category. I agree with the fact that it may affect the strengthening of stabilizing muscles to a lesser degree but I'm alright with that, it's like I said, it doesn't go on till the last set or 2.

Ever wonder why some pro's wear a belt for EVERYTHING? In some of their videos I see them wearing a belt for chest and arms. I always wondered about that. Some people say that wearing a belt all the time helps you control you abdominal muscles better but some say it will only make you stomach grow even more. Who knows . . .

Ever wonder why some pro's wear a belt for EVERYTHING? In some of their videos I see them wearing a belt for chest and arms. I always wondered about that. Some people say that wearing a belt all the time helps you control you abdominal muscles better but some say it will only make you stomach grow even more. Who knows . . .

Because it looks badass!!!

Between having had a hernia at a young age and a few bulging discs
in lower back was enough for me to wear one for everything I do and
have been for over thirty years. Some say it may not completely
support the back. May and maybe not but since I've been wearing one
I haven't had any problems with discs or hernias to which I consider the
main reason I use it on all lifts. I know what a little golfball size
lump of intestine looks like. I'll always wear one, so to each is own.,

Last edited:
Never

Have been lifting since i was 16. I have never used a belt. I agree with it actually weakening your back. If you already have pre existing back problems then it could be benificial.

this would be like saying that knee wraps did nothing to help your squat or protect your joints. I disagree, I always wear a belt when squatting heavy or deadlifting/bent over rows heavy. It'll help keep you from getting a Hernia. This is why people wear them who work at lumber yards/warehouses. Obviously I think there is some truth to them protecting you from injury

True story. I know a guy...well he's more of a very casual acquaintance, at my gym. He literally wears a leather lifting belt EVERY time he works out. Does not matter what he does. An example of a workout of his might be: (Eye witnessed by myself)

Cable tricep pull downs:

50lbs on weight stack. Put belt on, turn around with back facing machine. One set of 8-10 reps. Take off belt, drop it on nearest random empty bench, go get water. Come back to belt, put belt back on, fidget with belt for a few seconds...oh, too tight...nope...too loose, ok...just right. Do another set of above, repeat same weird off/on ritual with belt on each set.

He also has this odd exercise he does on the smith machine. He'll do a "barbell row" with the bar, and a 25lb plate on either side. Usually in the 8 rep range. (lifting belt on of course!) After each set, he locks the bar back in position, then proceeds to do "pushups" from a forward leaning, standing position on the bar. Usually around 10 reps, (with belt on), then does another set of his rows.

He'll do this sort of ritualistic off/on thing with his belt no matter what he's doing. Curls, shoulder raises, pull downs. Never does compounds from what I've seen...no lower body work either. Really bizarre. Then again, I don't know the guy...maybe he's got a really legit reason...like a bike wreck, or just a really weak core/back???

I refer to him amongst friends as my "Arch Nemesis....LIFTING BELT MAAAAN!"

Last edited:
To tell you the truth I dont recall many olympic lifters using belts, and some use weights in excess of 600 pounds, and probably exerting forces of 800 pounds or greater, at points in there training.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws