over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Weights feel heavier at home

JonnyTest

Registered
I swear my weights at home are heavier than the ones at the gym... Well I know that they aren't but I can't ever lift as much in my basement as I do in the gym for some reason. Any one else have this problem ? I prep the same and even take a pre-workout supp. but I can't ever go as heavy. Although I still get a killer pump and it feels good.

I lift at home too, I think it's because they're watching us. :cool:

Your attention is gone at the gym!!!!

Quit watching the College girls in short "juicy or Pink" shorts, you will be able to do more weight and reps.HAHA!!!!

I have the same problem as well. I can never go as heavy at home in my basement gym.

The ego factor could have something to do with it. Of course, the pink gym shorts might have a little to do with it as well!:)

:yeahthat: I definatly lift harder with hotties around... ... if ya know what I'm sayin :cool:

Adrenaline, ego and motivation would be my guess. Unless your weights at home are a little heavier than the ones at the gym.

I have the same problem. I lift in my basement gym and somehow have a hard time getting up a lot of weight. Motivation is definitely not quite the same as it was when working out at a gym. yes, those juicy pink pants make a difference, along with the idea that you are being watched. very interesting topic.

Ya I thought it was just in my head at first but a guy I lift with frequently came over and he had the same problem, I just laughed at first and then told him I had the same problem. I think it's defenately the atmosphere of a gym and the fact other people are around watching and the bright lights, tight pink shorts...... Kinda shitty cuz I've got a full gym in my basement but don't like to use it cuz I feel cheated.

I have never had this problem. Training at home is way better for me. My music is loud. I can scream curse and throw shit. It doesnt matter if I drop my dumbbells or leave chalk on stuff. I love it. I am lifting heavier now than ever.

It gets me how some people even get threw life, LOL. Weigh a bar and a 45 lbs weight at your gym and then do the same thing at home. If they are the same then it's all in your head. If not you'll know why. If it is all in your head then your not lifting right.

Last edited:
I swear my weights at home are heavier than the ones at the gym... Well I know that they aren't but I can't ever lift as much in my basement as I do in the gym for some reason. Any one else have this problem ? I prep the same and even take a pre-workout supp. but I can't ever go as heavy. Although I still get a killer pump and it feels good.
Dude i thought it was just me my weights at home feel a lot more heavier in my basement then at the gym to for some reason, My barbell is much thicker and heavier. 225lbs at home feels like 315lbs at the gym Strange.

Last edited:
Plates at the gym are likely lighter. My friends come over to my private powerlifting gym every once in a while and they tell me about all the weights they have done in there commercial/regular gyms and never come close to it at mine. I think commercial plates are under weight a bit to make members feel better. All my plates are either standard barbell or york, most meets and other gyms I visit use the same type of plates. You also half to remember that even good makes of plates can very form a 1-2 lbs lighter to 1-2lbs heavier. You could always get Kilo plates to be sure but those arent very cheap

I think it depends on the difference in equipment. On my own personal home bench I can always put up more weight than at the gym.

this is an interesting and kinda funny topic, it is defenely mental and i agree i would be the same as i use to workout at the house, at the gym these other people workoing out and people watching other people, so its kinda like a simi showing off thing or motivation from other people working out, or if a hot chick is around that could do it too, when your alone, you feel lonely and maybe that could lead to a depresed lonely feeling leading to less motivation. imo

I believe that adrenaline plays a part, lifting around people, and the "pink" shorts don't hurt. There is definitely a slight difference in weights sometimes as well. I once worked out at a gym that was mainly powerlifters and meatheads...we weighed some of our weights on a scale because a few of us thought the same thing...we found one "45" that weighed 49lbs, another that weighed 43lbs and even one that was 41lbs. We marked them with a permanent marker. Most of them were all good but nonetheless there were some that were way off.:headbang:

I have to agree with most opinions so far. Motivation is key and for most of us, a nice little pair of tits squeezed into a push-up bra and a fat (yet toned) ass peeking out of "pink" shorts definitely creates that "If I get this last rep, she'll fuck me" mentality! Realistically though, it is all in our heads. The trick is being able to envision and re-create those same thoughts wherever you lift!

I have seen where guys have made these huge gym lifts and bomb at national meets. If your 45 lbs plates weigh 42-43 multiply by 14-16 plates it makes a huge difference. I made sure my plates are a little heavy 46-47lbs the only surprise my trainies get that thelift more at meets.

IT could be your equipement in your home gym. For me, I have shitty equipment. I have a Joe Wider Bench for example. It is far from having the same ergonomic advantage as the bench in the gym - i.e., peg where it should be. Also, by virtue of the where the posts are, I have to take an unaturally narrow grip. Finally, I'm affraid it's going to come apart or break so I'm affraid to put really heavy weight on it. SO, I remedy this by doing mostly inclines and save the flat benching for my Olympic Plate Loaded DB's.

I would love lifting at home if I had the right equipement.

I think it depends on the difference in equipment. On my own personal home bench I can always put up more weight than at the gym.

same for me and I think it is due to my home gym bench being narrower than the one at the gym. The gym benches are at least 2 inches wider than my home bench :)

Difference for me ends up being about 30 lbs on a max bench lift.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131