over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Westsiders

ridge11

Registered
So I have recently shifted my focus from bodybuilding to powerlifting. After some research I have decided to go with a Westside style format. The only problem is that is sooo open ended.

So, I am looking for people's favorite exercises, rep schemes, workouts, anything you can recommend from personal experience.

I've spent most of the past 10 years training on a westside variation of some kind. What I would typically recommend for a beginner;

DE Bench
9X3 Bench 50% 1rm (shirted max, but performed raw)-Then cycle in bands/chains/other accommodating resistance in three week waves, but stick with the same bench weight for 12 weeks, just change the accommodating weight.

Follow with;
Lats/upper back
Triceps
Shoulders

DE Squat
Pick a bar/box height/variation/accomodating resistance, and stick with it for three weeks. Then wave the weights as follows
wk 1-8X2 55%
wk 2-6X2 55%, then two more sets of doubles at higher weights (I like 10% jumps for each set)
wk 3-5X2, then three singles at progresively heavier weights. If you're feeling good, go for a pr, if not, be smart.

Followed by;

Glutes
Hamstrings
Abs

ME Bench
Pick a variation and work up to a max, if feeling good, make it a single. If you're less then 100% that day, go for a PR triple or even set of 5. Change this everyweek. Start with 8 variations.

Followed by;

Lats
Triceps
Shoulders

ME Lower
Pick a list of 8 lifts, make 6 of them pulling variation, and 2 of them squatting variations. Rotate through them in the same manner as above.

Followed by;

Low back
Hamstrings
Glutes
Abs

Do all assistance work BB style. That should take you through the first 3-6 months, and by then, you'll know what is working better with the template.

Thanks. That is basically what I have in my notes. I guess I just have to be creative and stick with it for a while.

Are you looking to compete in powerlifting or just train in a powerlifting style to gain strength? The program above will get you stronger for sure but won't necessarily be the best plan to prep for a meet. And if you're going to compete in gear, that throws another variable into the plan as you'll need to vary training between raw and in gear.

Piece of advice, don't squat against bands until your form is solid. The bands are not forgiving and will reinforce bad form if yours isn't solid.

Are you looking to compete in powerlifting or just train in a powerlifting style to gain strength? The program above will get you stronger for sure but won't necessarily be the best plan to prep for a meet. And if you're going to compete in gear, that throws another variable into the plan as you'll need to vary training between raw and in gear.

Piece of advice, don't squat against bands until your form is solid. The bands are not forgiving and will reinforce bad form if yours isn't solid.

Well the outline above, as stated, is for an introduction to westside style training. A circa max phase would need to be run going into the final 3-6 wks of a meet. However, I found, once I had reached about 12 ME lifts which I rotated through, and had done so for awhile, I knew right where my powerlifts were at all times. You still need to peak to get the last 3 percent. But the beauty of westside lies in the conjugated periodization, get stronger overall while still maintaining great form without destroying your body. I'm not saying its for everybody, but I know it works.

Ridge- You say this is pretty much what you had; what else are you wanting help with? I'm happy to provide my opinion if it was helpful.

Well the outline above, as stated, is for an introduction to westside style training. A circa max phase would need to be run going into the final 3-6 wks of a meet. However, I found, once I had reached about 12 ME lifts which I rotated through, and had done so for awhile, I knew right where my powerlifts were at all times. You still need to peak to get the last 3 percent. But the beauty of westside lies in the conjugated periodization, get stronger overall while still maintaining great form without destroying your body. I'm not saying its for everybody, but I know it works.

Ridge- You say this is pretty much what you had; what else are you wanting help with? I'm happy to provide my opinion if it was helpful.

I agree with that MV. Perhaps I misread your original post or misinterpreted, but there doesn't seem to be enough squat work on ME Lower day for someone who is planning to compete. True Westside is very squat-focused since that is the lift where the most pounds can be gained, and there is a good bit of carryover from squat training to the deadlift. Each ME Lower day should have 1 ME squat movement and a pulling movement. Maybe this is what you meant and I just interpreted it incorrectly. We typically have alternated a heavy pull and a lighter speed pull from week to week on ME Lower days.

Last edited:
I agree with that MV. Perhaps I misread your original post or misinterpreted, but there doesn't seem to be enough squat work on ME Lower day for someone who is planning to compete. True Westside is very squat-focused since that is the lift where the most pounds can be gained, and there is a good bit of carryover from squat training to the deadlift. Each ME Lower day should have 1 ME squat movement and a pulling movement. Maybe this is what you meant and I just interpreted it incorrectly. We typically have alternated a heavy pull and a lighter speed pull from week to week on ME Lower days.

Not planning on competing for a while. And when I do it will be a raw push/pull competition, so I am doing limited squatting to assist with my pulls.

MV, I guess I was just looking for exercise ideas and rep schemes. Not so much BB Row 5x10, but something different. Sorry if that sounds vague. I guess looking for more ideas for assistance work, because my first workout I was so bored and didn't feel like I got a good workout. I guess if my main lifts go up that is all that matters. I have always used a bodybuilding style approach, so this is just different for me.

MV, I guess I was just looking for exercise ideas and rep schemes. Not so much BB Row 5x10, but something different. Sorry if that sounds vague. I guess looking for more ideas for assistance work, because my first workout I was so bored and didn't feel like I got a good workout. I guess if my main lifts go up that is all that matters. I have always used a bodybuilding style approach, so this is just different for me.

Since you'll eventually compete raw, that simplifies things a good bit since you won't have to worry about training in gear or training to maximize gear. Which means bodybuilding-style work is still pretty valid for assistance work. Here are some ideas, just rotate these from day to day.

Bench assistance (triceps, shoulders, and upper back): close grip bench, skull crushers, pushdowns, etc. Military press (barbell, dumbbell, seated, standing), side raises, etc. Cable pulldowns, t-bar row, chest-supported row, DB rows, barbell rows, etc. 3 working sets of 8-10 reps is a good range.

Squat/deadlift assistance: speed pulls, deficit pulls, good mornings, all of those in the 3-5 rep range. Glute-ham raise, 45 degree back raise (with or without additional weight), hamstring curl, hip abductor/adductor, leg press (moderate weight), 8-10 rep range on those. Farmers walks or heavy bag carries are good on these days as well, they hit your lower back, legs, and good GPP work. Sled pulling fits here too.

A typical bench day might look like:
Bench work (heavy or speed depending on day)
1 shoulder movement
1 upper back movement
1-2 tricep movements

A typical lower day might look like:
Squat work (heavy or speed)
Deadlift work (heavy or speed) or good mornings
1 lower back movement
1 hamstring movement
Shrugs (you could do these on bench day but I like to group with deadlifts)

Very true. I prefer to make it a bit more of a pull centric routine, ala Supertraining. With waving the squat the way I outlined, you're getting some near ME work every third week on the DE lower day as well.

I was saying just 1 ME movement on the lower day. Personally, I have seen many new powerlifters hit too high of an overall volume on this day when multiple ME moves are attempted, thus my outline.

In addition to what has been said; I'll outline some things I often do and enjoy.

Snatch Grip Deads off 2-4" blocks. Do these for sets of 20.

Reverse Hyper is great if you have access, I like to try and hold at the contracted position, sets of 20 here as well to really get blood pumping in the back and glutes.

GHR-The number one assistance lift IMHO. At least it was for me personally.

Military presses out of the rack to the top of your head. Overload those triceps while getting some delt work in.

Cage Presses, the way Meadows describes.

SSB Front squats-done for sets of 5.

Ox Lift- I have heard this called many things; but its a deadlift from mid shin, with a SSB on your back. If it wasn't such a bitch to set-up I would do these every week. But its a super fun lift, and forces you to keep perfect form or you can't move anything. The other great thing about this movement, you can do it so many ways. Try for a fixed weight in the ssb, ramp up the dead; or vice versa. Or, try for equal weight on the two bars. Great fun.

Suspended GM's-High reps are a great accessory, low reps are great for ME work.

Floor press- I hate this as a ME movement for me, but as an accessory with higher reps it is phenomenal.

These are some things that come to mind. I certainly know what you mean in regards to "getting bored" with assistance work. If done correctly, you're pretty wiped after your main lift on westside, so assistance is often a "get it done" situation.

For a big time change of pace when bored; I like to hook up blast straps to the sled and go outside. I'll do a movement for 100', then switch it up for whatever bodypart I'm working on. You can do pretty much anything in this manner. Rows, presses, extensions, curls, laterals, you name it. Plus you're getting some great GPP. However, since you're coming from bb, I would assume you're not in need of GPP at this time.

In addition to my first reply, keep in mind of the 6 "deadlift" based lifts, I would normally suggest three good morning variations. Which Louie would say build both the squat and the dead.

I've had great success with heavy low volume good mornings. I don't really do them for my ME movement, but I always include them as assistance work. It's great seeing people react to a 3 or 4 plate good morning.

Yeah, not really feeling the good morning as a ME lift. Probably use them during assistance work.

Yeah, not really feeling the good morning as a ME lift. Probably use them during assistance work.

I rarely use it for singles, but threes or fives. My favorite variation is suspended camber bar, close second would be seated SSB GM's. I was hesitant at first as well, but once you get comfortable with the movement the poundage's will increase fast.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws